PayPal Interview Questions

Updated Mar 27, 2015
Updated Mar 27, 2015

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at PayPal in July 2014.

Someone gave me a call one day. I didn't apply, so I guess it was a recruiter. I answered all there questions, and they never called me back. They never gave me an email, and when I called to ask, they told me, "tough luck."

Interview Questions
    • 1. Verbal test:
      a) What's the difference between StringBuffer and StringBuilder
      b) What's the diff between a linkedList and arrayList? When would you use each?
      2. Language Quiz -Strings
      e)c.equals d
      f) c==e
      g)c.equals e

3. Code time!!!
      program a method that returns an inOrder Arraylist of the nodes in a tree
      public ArrayList<Integer> inOrder(Node root);

View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at PayPal in July 2014.

Contacted through LinkedIn, scheduled a phone screening interview. Went well, reviewed resume, background, design decisions, career goals - fun chat with very experienced engineer. Got thumbs up next day.

Later provided with a coding challenge and about 1 week to complete - very open ended, combined lots of tools I used in the past but had to learn a few new ones. Had fun with it and implemented extra features.

Onsite scheduled shortly after, 5 interviewers at 45 minutes each, 4 from the team I would work with and 1 from another team. First few interviewers asked questions about specific language features such as scoping, terminology, limits, but I was expecting questions specific to the coding challenge - as I was told the challenge was meant to 'guide the interviews'. The last two interviewers reviewed my code and were on point with their questions - allowing me to demonstrate my experience well and in an organic way.

Did not get the position, but overall had a good experience. Disappointed I could not demonstrate my full value due to the way the interviews were structured.

Interview Questions
    • Here is code intentionally convoluted with many layers deep of function calls - determine variable values at different points in the programs life.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at PayPal.

From various interviewers on-site, I was asked:

- Design and implement an iterator for a singly-linked list class.
    - How would you design a garbage collector?
    - Given two connected singly-linked lists (giving a T-shaped structure), find the node where they connect.
    - Implement a complete singly-linked list class in C++.
    - Cycle detection in singly-linked lists.
    - Describe the differences between C++ and Java.
    - Determine if a binary tree is balanced.
    - Describe the architecture of the systems of my current employer.
    - Describe how to maintain data integrity across concurrent reads/writes to/from a database.
    - How to remove duplicates from an array.
    - When does it make sense to store a tree ADT in an array?
    - How would you organize a data structure used for parsing arithmetic operations? (Like 3*2 + 4 = 10)
    - Write a python script to scan the files in a directory for a word. Return true if the word is found in at least one file and false if otherwise.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing truly unexpected. Thorough knowledge of OOP, data structures, and algorithms will serve you well.   Answer Question

I rejected the offer because I wasn't feeling the culture when I was on-site. That, combined with Glassdoor reviews mentioning the competitive culture with the stacked ranking system led to me accepting another offer.

Director Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PayPal.

Was approached via my Linked In profile. Had a phone screen on a Friday afternoon. Was interview the next Tuesday over the phone. Flown out to San Jose within a matter of days. An entire day of back:back interviews. Skype interview w SVP the next week. Offer extended. Lightning speed.

Interview Questions
    • How I would refine the acquisition strategy for PayPal products to move away from organic growth and drive more aggressive and deliberate acquisition.   Answer Question
    I was told there was no wiggle room, I was brought in at the ceiling- which made no sense to me. They offered options I was never able to exercise, as a woo feature. Once hired, they tried to change my comp structure claiming that was the plan all along and "recruiting" should have told me that.

Bill Me Later Customer Solutions Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PayPal in June 2014.

Applied online at Ebay.careers for the position in Chanlder AZ, shortly after ( 1-2 days) i got an email from Ebay to take an assessment test, which consisted of general stuff that you would be doing at the job. My advice is to look real close to make sure you read the question correctly. Also at the end of the test it has a 25wpm so make sure you can type. After that about 1 week passed and i got a call from a recruiter to talk about my resume and if i would have to put a 2 weeks notice in at my previous job, also if i would be able to dedicate 90 days to work. I then agreed to everything and he set me up an interview. So i went in for my interview and got asked very basic HR questions so my advice again is to read up on basic HR questions they also ask you about you previous employers and what your likes and dislikes are. My suggestion is to focus on the positive things you got out of your previous employers and don't tell em allllll about the bad, because that never looks good. So after all of this i was then asked to place a seat on the couch. I then was taken on a tour of the building (which is super cool by the way) then after was sat down for my second interview right away. Again it was basic HR questions so it was a fairly laid back easy interview.
    On a side note of things i suggest
    Know Paypals background you will get asked "what do you know about Paypal"
    Know yourself
    and speak with confidence, confidence is key to your success and your career!
    Good luck if you're about to take on this journey!

Interview Questions
    • "What happened at a previous job where you got tempted to do something that would break they companies rules, did you do it? and if so why? or why not"   View Answer
    I did not negotiate anything i took what I got, which was plenty to ask for.

Member of Technical Staff I Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PayPal in June 2014.

Submitted lots of applications for similar positions on Ebay and Paypal's career website. Then one of Paypal's internal recruiters contacted me and kindly referred me to this specific position. So I applied for this one. The interview scheduling process is fast and efficient.

Honestly, before the interview, I was somehow scared by some of the employee and interviewees' reviews here. But actually when I went onsite, interviewers and the front desk were all super nice. Interviewers asked technical questions about skills that are required in their projects (C++ concepts and coding, OOP, and database), some very reasonable behavioral questions to make sure I can cooperate with team members, a couple of brain teasers and some discussion about some of my past projects. They are all really professional and polite.

Overall, from my interview experience, it's a very decent company. If it was not because I've just had an offer from another company on the evening of the previous business day before I went onsite with Paypal, I would really like to work in the gateway group who interviewed me at Paypal.

Interview Questions
    • None. They are mostly basic C++ concepts, coding, design and database questions.   Answer Question

Customer Solutions Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chandler, AZ
    Anonymous Employee in Chandler, AZ

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at PayPal in May 2014.

I had applied awhile back and the interview process was completely different than now. Recentley a employee refered me and i had responded with them via email never over the phone. It was a little frustrating not being able to talk over the phone, but they were very nice. A little un organized because after doing some online tests i was to wait for a reply back, but kept getting at least 4 different emails from different people stating i needed to do the online tests even though i had completed them before. Again i couldnt contact them via phone because it was strictly email. this did get cleared up about 3 weeks later

Software Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PayPal in May 2014.

The process was smooth from the beginning to end, recruiter always keep you informed on what is next. They seem to be busy and lots have to be done so they are actively interviewing and trying to get more people on board. interview consist of phone screening, take home exam and then onsite with 5-6 people including lunch. Overall very positive experience, you get to meet technical staff there and exchange ideas regarding technical problems/questions

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at PayPal in May 2014.

I had a friend at the company who referred me for the role - that definitely helped.

The interview process was straightforward, fair, and fast. I had a screening interview with HR, then an interview with someone who would be a peer about a week later, then about 3 weeks after that an onsite full day (6 hours) of interviews with the hiring manager, VP, and several stakeholders that would be at/above my level.

I was communicated with the following day in each case about next steps. The interviews were all challenging but fair. I liked everyone I met and felt they wanted to hear my opinion and get to know me better. Overall a great process.

Interview Questions
    • Business case about getting into a new market and how would I make the go/no go decision.   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at PayPal in May 2014.

The process takes forever. There are multiple rounds and every in person round involved 5-6 45min interview. I went into PayPal two times and met 10-12 people before getting an offer. I interviewed from 11:00am - 5pm without lunch being served.

HR was slow to get back to me and you have to chase them down to know you are in the process. They enjoy burning a candidate out.

Interview Questions

The offer given was lower than what I was making.