PayPal

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software QA Engineer Interview

Software QA Engineer
San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at PayPal in January 2014.

Interview Details – Extremely slow. Even after interview goes very well and the manager talks to me after positive feedback they take months to move to the next step, which is suddenly process changes so they want to do more round of interviews. Don't waste your time here.

Interview Question – A software engineer comes up with "google searched" coding question for which I am sure he did not know the answer because when I asked him whats the exact solution since got to the closest possible in that 5 minutes of thinking, he did not give me the solution he looked lost himself! He wrote something on the board but when I walked through a sample scenario it did not work. So when he as a interviewer after research did not have a "perfect" answer, he expects me to solve in that 3 - 5 mins?!
Now I wait and wait for weeks after they spoke to me the salary expectations etc and then they say btw they want to do another round of interview. Forget it!!!
  Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Seemed too much process oriented. Waiting for them after the verbal offer took so long that I took up elsewhere. They seem like lost in making organizational changes and miss on the opportunity to hire people who actually want to contribute and do good.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at PayPal in February 2014.

Interview Details – A quick introduction phone interview followed by a technical phone screen the following week.

Interview Question – The most difficulty was understanding the interviewer whose native language is not english. Also, their appeared to be a volume gate on the interviewer's speaker phone so that if the interviewer did not speak up enough, it would sound muffled and not understandable.   Answer Question

Software Engineer II Interview

Software Engineer II

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at PayPal.

Interview Details – phone interview, followed by onsite, Total 6 interview each slotted for 30 mins. Mostly Java coding questions. SQL questions, and Linux question.

Interview Question – If you know Java then it should not be a problem.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Easy Interview

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at PayPal in February 2014.

Interview Details – The process started more then a month ago. I've had 4 phone call, between the HR staff, hiring manager internal recruiters...

Interview Question – Here's the problem the questions were not difficult, just so basic and uncomplicated "Design for me a web application". I can do that in a "Hello World" socket connection. Now what do you what it to do? ....or I can design a Web Application that does it all...   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at PayPal in January 2013.

Interview Details – Interviewed with Paypal after graduating from college in December 2013. Process took about a month. Two phone interviews, final on-site interview which consisted of 5 hour long rounds of face to face interviews.

Interview Question – There were no difficult algorithmic questions. If you know your basics on algorithms and data structures you should be fine (I was asked a tree questions, and array pattern search question). I interviewed for a position in mobile sdk dev so the interviews focused mainly on architecture and design. Practice your object oriented design, and think of how to design things to securely and to scale (client/server side caching, security, etc.). These questions can be particularly tricky for someone coming right out of college. Also, Paypal values a good culture fit so be enthusiastic, sociable, and confident.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at PayPal in December 2013.

Interview Details – I did not fully go through interview process but, had an experience that I thought is worth sharing as there are no other platforms to share unprofessional practices of company recruiters. A recruiter who claimed that he handles 3-4 BUs within Paypal reached out to me on LinkedIn on his own. After playing phone tag a few times finally he talked to me and did a bit of selling and asked me to send him the questionnaire that he will send. Though I did not apply, I did find the opportunity he mentioned interesting and thought of giving it a shot. I spent several hours over a weekend answering a questionnaire that had questions best suited for a verbal discussion. Several weeks passed and no response from the recruiter even after following up a few times. I would think a recruiter working for a corporation hiring senior roles would have the basic professionalism to close the loop by responding, atleast as a response to a follow-up email if not voluntarily. That is the basic courtesy one can show to fellow professionals. Believe me, at the level he is trying to hire no one will be heart broken to hear that things did not workout or is not going to move forward. Such a thorough unprofessionalism. Companies who care about their hiring process should fire such recruiters who chase employees with over the top enthusiasm and when they find that things are not going to move forward, just drop the ball and move on to their next thing.

Software Engineer II Interview

Software Engineer II

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at PayPal.

Interview Details – 3 Technical Rounds and then Onsite.

Questions :

Java Concepts,Unix Commands,SQL questions and Algorithmic Questions

Analytics Interview

Analytics

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at PayPal in January 2014.

Interview Details – Applied through campus and the process took 2 days. Interview got rescheduled for no reason. Seemed a little rude. Asked about background, availability and understanding of the company. Interviewer seemed not interested at all and had no idea what the position was about. Very bad experience overall. Such a shame for a big company like Paypal.

Interview Question – General fit questions.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Director
San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at PayPal in January 2010.

Interview Details – Long interviewing and hiring process

Software Engineer III Interview

Software Engineer III
San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at PayPal in September 2013.

Interview Details – - Got a call for interview, had initial chat with recruiter.
- After 10 days may be, I got a phone interview scheduled.
- 45 mins phone interview, basic java questions with one coding question of rotation of string in optimised way. Soln .. is you swap letters, I did first normal formal loop then gave this soln.
- Phone interview cleared , got scheduled for onsite. Notification time by HR was bad, like a day before and time was 11am - 5/4.30 pm.
- Went for onsite, had contnous 5 rounds with out any break. They dint even ask for lunch :( my tummy was grumbling while giving interviews.
- 1st round technical, java questions , enums and constants, what is webservice, define your own generic type.
- 2nd technical more on spring side questions, order() if you know. LRU algo code and explanation.
- 3rd was more of managerial round
- 4th technical again, he was a lead gave few puzzles white boarding with logic
- 5th - architect, more of whole web flow. Create class, url names, config flow .. complete.

All of them had whiteboarding, followed by explanation.

I felt it went good, but thye sent mail they're looking for more better.

Interview Question – - Questions were fine, architectural was more of how will I design, she wanted me to give url names, and what annotation will i define.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at PayPal