PayPal Product Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jun 13, 2015

3.2

Product Manager Interview

Interview

Questions on customer experience and improvements.

Other Interview Reviews for PayPal

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at PayPal in December 2013.

Interview

I did not fully go through interview process but, had an experience that I thought is worth sharing as there are no other platforms to share unprofessional practices of company recruiters. A recruiter who claimed that he handles 3-4 BUs within Paypal reached out to me on LinkedIn on his own. After playing phone tag a few times finally he talked to me and did a bit of selling and asked me to send him the questionnaire that he will send. Though I did not apply, I did find the opportunity he mentioned interesting and thought of giving it a shot. I spent several hours over a weekend answering a questionnaire that had questions best suited for a verbal discussion. Several weeks passed and no response from the recruiter even after following up a few times. I would think a recruiter working for a corporation hiring senior roles would have the basic professionalism to close the loop by responding, atleast as a response to a follow-up email if not voluntarily. That is the basic courtesy one can show to fellow professionals. Believe me, at the level he is trying to hire no one will be heart broken to hear that things did not workout or is not going to move forward. Such a thorough unprofessionalism. Companies who care about their hiring process should fire such recruiters who chase employees with over the top enthusiasm and when they find that things are not going to move forward, just drop the ball and move on to their next thing.

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at PayPal in September 2009.

Interview

I was an internal transfer from eBay to PayPal. I reached out to the HM and had interview with 3 group members. I was told I got positive feedback from everyone. However, at the beginning, they choose some other PayPal folks. A month later, when I touched base with HM, they had another opening. They hire me straight without further interviews.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

it's hard to negotiate once you are an internal employee.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in September 2008.

Interview

Was referred by past employee. Initial HR phone interview was followed by hiring manager phone interview, on-site one-on-one interviews with 6 different team members and another 5 or 6 phone interviews with other employees. Interviews usually had a mix of behavioral questions and use-case specific questions that required specific experience in the subject area, which I had. (I ultimately had to drop out of the application process because a move to CA was no longer possible.)

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at PayPal.

Interview

I had done 10 interview with different people (countries and positions). Most of the conversations was about my experience with IT projects, markets, strategy with business team, methodologies with the technical teams, projects of software and hardware, knowlodge about especific technologies (NFC, ISO, Integrations) and more about solving problems day by day.

Interview Questions

• In my case was about NFC projects, because it is not my focus on professional experience.   1 Answer

Negotiation

For me was a very good experience in all the process. After the interview phase, the negotiation was very fast and objective. We achieved a point of interest for both in that (me and company).

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at PayPal (Singapore (Singapore)).

Interview

it was a phone interview with a manager that I used to assist

Interview Questions

Negotiation

they offered me 4500SGD and I nego 5000, it took them a week to consider before saying yes...

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at PayPal in November 2011.

Interview

Very straight forward interview process if you come in via a referral. This may be different depending on the department. First, I got a phone call from HR asking me some basic background questions and scheduling prefernces for the on-site interview. This included a short phone interview. When i flew on site I was booked a a great hotel and I was interviewed in a 1 on 1 setting by 4 managers/directors who asked basic questions about my experience and some hypothetical situations. The interviewers were friendly and gave me a lot of information about the company and their experience in addition to asking questions. The culture does seem to differ greatly by team especially given the big diversity of nationalities among the teams and interviewers. Within a week I was told I would be getting an offer and just had to wait for the background check. Within another week that was all completed and we negotiated my salary. I started 2 weeks later

Interview Questions

• How do you balance product delivery with long term strategic vision   Answer Question

Negotiation

Remember to consider all avenues of compensation when negotiating. Stock, salary, sign-on bonus, relocation, etc...

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chennai (India)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at PayPal (Chennai (India)) in November 2011.

Interview

The questions will be more around the experience and will check your deep knowledge on the role that you are applying for. The team will help you feel comfortable and allow you to explain properly and the questions will be more follow up what you had done and from there, they would try to see how you handled different situations.

Interview Questions

• Situation where I had to deliver the solution in quick time but need to make lot of negotiations with the stakeholders and meet the deadline? How did you handle? What did you do?   1 Answer
    • Explain the product that you managed in simple terms, and share how did you come up with goals, success criteria and KPIs   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at PayPal in January 2011.

Interview

Straightforward, no trick questions, questions on the domain you are applying for.

Interview Questions

• They asked me questions specific to the payments industry and wanted to know my knowledge about that.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at PayPal in June 2010.

Interview

I was first interviewed by the recruiter, who is friendly and easy to communicate. She got back to me in timely manner with a phone interview arrangement with the hiring manager. However the interview with the hiring manager wasn't a professional experience. First, I she was absent and had a peer in her team to interview me with no advanced notice to me and to the recruiter. Second, the substitute interviewer wasn't prepared and no focus questions. She called the conversation off without giving me sufficient response time because she got to run for a meeting.