PayPal Program Manager Interview Questions

Updated Mar 2, 2015

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

phone interview + live interviews with 7 people from future team members to director level

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for PayPal

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

First talked with the recruiter, after a phone screening interview was scheduled with the hiring manager. After passing the initial screening, was invited to the site for a formal interview with the hiring manager and to speak with a team selected by the hiring manager. After that spoke a little bit more with the hiring manager and then left.

Interview Questions

• interestingly the hiring manager asked about my family and how many children do I have.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in October 2009.

Interview

Employees seemed fatigued by reorganizations, and somewhat unmotivated. There was a great deal of talk about PayPal's potential, but reading between the lines they seemed to feel that eBay was holding them back. Very deflated and downbeat environment. Tons of work, making work-life balance difficult. Astonishingly bad follow up: I never got any response after interviews (positive or negative), despite my repeated requests. It's one thing to not follow up on an application or phone interview, but another thing all together after you've invested the time to get on a plane.

Interview Questions

• What would look to accomplish in your first six months on the job?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in February 2009.

Interview

I was actually approached by Artizen, a contract recruiting firm in Redwood City. I am linked to an Artizen recruiter through LinkedIn. She set up the interview, which lasted 1 hour. I interviewed with the hiring manager, the User Experience Design Manager, and the Senior Program Manager that was going on maternity leave, all at the same time. It was an efficient interview, because my answers to their questions spurred follow-on questions from each of the interviewers, so it seemed that all the bases were covered by the end of the hour. I asked them if there were any gaps in any of my answers that I could elaborate on before I left, but there were none. I was offered the position before the day was over.

Interview Questions

• What is your least favorite part of working project and program management jobs?   1 Answer

Negotiation

In this economy, I was willing to take a low rate. Artizen started at $50/hour, and I negotiated up to $60/hour. Even though that's rather low for my skillset, it still beats unemployment, so I took it. PayPal realizes that they are in a good bargaining position, so there was no more negotiating room. I suggest you feel them out for the rate range, and take what you can get, because you could negotiate your way out of an offer.

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at PayPal in March 2010.

Interview

I recently had a 1-1 phone interview with the hiring manager and have been told that the face to face interviews will be set up and I will be notified soon. The recruiter called me and set up the phone interview for the same day. The interview was very pleasant - lots of questions on program management, all of them very valid. If you are an experienced program manager, you will find this part of the process easy Work culture seems very informal - I was told that all levels of employees sit in cubicles (even senior management).