PayPal QA Manager Interview Questions

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA).

Interview

I was interviewing for a QA manager position in their San Jose campus. I was supposed to meet 3 people, 2 directors and 1 manager.

The interviewing was mostly behavioral. They really drilled into the resume and asked quite a few questions on what I did in each project, how I would manage a situation etc.

1) The hiring manager was the first to pick me up. This guy came late to start with and started interviewing me in the cafeteria. The cafeteria where we sat was a bit noisy and he took me to some other place in the cafeteria. I was surprised by his reluctance to go to some conference room which was already scheduled. This guy seemed to be from some India location and needed somebody who would represent him here. He was explaining about the group and was telling something like "the engineering team is a bit hyper here, will you be able to manage them". I was surprised by his words. He was not painting a positive picture of the group.
2) Later I was interviewed by two other people in the conference room. They were very reasonable and I thought I did well there.

Overall it went OK but I was not thinking of joining the group because of the hiring manager. The recruiters also never called back and neither did they follow up with any email which is surprising again.

Interview Questions

• What are you proud of in your professional career?
    How would you manage things in onshore when there are not enough resources?
    How would you manage the balance between onshore and offshore teams?

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for PayPal

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in July 2010.

Interview

I applied online and then again thru a friend of mine. The interview consisted of the typical phone interview. Was interviewed by a manager first and then he told that someone from staffing would contact me. After about a week, got an email from someone in staffing. She said that I have to come to sanjose office for a personal interview. Was interviewed by 5 people in san jose, it has been about 1 week, still no word. My interview was about 30% technical, 30% from the resume i.e. what projects you did/ how you managed etc and the remaining 40% was behavioral. I hope I will hear from them soon.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between CGI/Servlet?   Answer Question
    • In a typical sql query, what would happen when there are no bind variables? What happens when you put bind variables, does it help the performance or not? If so, how?   1 Answer
    • How did you test Web Services? Do you know what a WSDL file is ?   Answer Question
    • Do you have experience managing offshore teams?   Answer Question

QA Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at PayPal in February 2008.

Interview

Mainly on QA Managment and ability on being technical

Interview Questions

• Talk about architecture of your application and test strategy   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotation in my case.