PayPal Interview Questions in San Jose, CA

Updated Mar 18, 2015
Updated Mar 18, 2015

Corporate Strategy Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at PayPal.

Easy process including a 30-minute phone interview and a 'super day' onsite that included a case study. Was given a case prompt, had an hour to prep, and then had to present a few "dummy" slides to a panel of 3 members of the team.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at PayPal in January 2015.

There are 4 rounds. They mainly asked me the experiences in previous projects. They also asked me some design questions (distributed system) and algorithms questions. I thought it is easy but in retrospect, they seem don't like me. Three out of four are from India. They are very professional developer. Because they are contributors of some open source project.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at PayPal.

From various interviewers on-site, I was asked:

- Design and implement an iterator for a singly-linked list class.
    - How would you design a garbage collector?
    - Given two connected singly-linked lists (giving a T-shaped structure), find the node where they connect.
    - Implement a complete singly-linked list class in C++.
    - Cycle detection in singly-linked lists.
    - Describe the differences between C++ and Java.
    - Determine if a binary tree is balanced.
    - Describe the architecture of the systems of my current employer.
    - Describe how to maintain data integrity across concurrent reads/writes to/from a database.
    - How to remove duplicates from an array.
    - When does it make sense to store a tree ADT in an array?
    - How would you organize a data structure used for parsing arithmetic operations? (Like 3*2 + 4 = 10)
    - Write a python script to scan the files in a directory for a word. Return true if the word is found in at least one file and false if otherwise.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing truly unexpected. Thorough knowledge of OOP, data structures, and algorithms will serve you well.   Answer Question

I rejected the offer because I wasn't feeling the culture when I was on-site. That, combined with Glassdoor reviews mentioning the competitive culture with the stacked ranking system led to me accepting another offer.

Member of Technical Staff I Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PayPal in June 2014.

Submitted lots of applications for similar positions on Ebay and Paypal's career website. Then one of Paypal's internal recruiters contacted me and kindly referred me to this specific position. So I applied for this one. The interview scheduling process is fast and efficient.

Honestly, before the interview, I was somehow scared by some of the employee and interviewees' reviews here. But actually when I went onsite, interviewers and the front desk were all super nice. Interviewers asked technical questions about skills that are required in their projects (C++ concepts and coding, OOP, and database), some very reasonable behavioral questions to make sure I can cooperate with team members, a couple of brain teasers and some discussion about some of my past projects. They are all really professional and polite.

Overall, from my interview experience, it's a very decent company. If it was not because I've just had an offer from another company on the evening of the previous business day before I went onsite with Paypal, I would really like to work in the gateway group who interviewed me at Paypal.

Interview Questions
    • None. They are mostly basic C++ concepts, coding, design and database questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PayPal in May 2014.

The process was smooth from the beginning to end, recruiter always keep you informed on what is next. They seem to be busy and lots have to be done so they are actively interviewing and trying to get more people on board. interview consist of phone screening, take home exam and then onsite with 5-6 people including lunch. Overall very positive experience, you get to meet technical staff there and exchange ideas regarding technical problems/questions

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at PayPal in May 2014.

The process takes forever. There are multiple rounds and every in person round involved 5-6 45min interview. I went into PayPal two times and met 10-12 people before getting an offer. I interviewed from 11:00am - 5pm without lunch being served.

HR was slow to get back to me and you have to chase them down to know you are in the process. They enjoy burning a candidate out.

Interview Questions

The offer given was lower than what I was making.

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at PayPal in May 2014.

I had a friend at the company who referred me for the role - that definitely helped.

The interview process was straightforward, fair, and fast. I had a screening interview with HR, then an interview with someone who would be a peer about a week later, then about 3 weeks after that an onsite full day (6 hours) of interviews with the hiring manager, VP, and several stakeholders that would be at/above my level.

I was communicated with the following day in each case about next steps. The interviews were all challenging but fair. I liked everyone I met and felt they wanted to hear my opinion and get to know me better. Overall a great process.

Interview Questions
    • Business case about getting into a new market and how would I make the go/no go decision.   Answer Question

User Interface Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at PayPal in May 2014.

Lame, they did the typical round table thing and looked at my work, then asked questions. They flew me to San Jose and put me up in some 80's hotel, then I went my whole interview with no lunch until someone noticed at like 2pm I have not eaten anything since 8 am when I arrived. Half the people I talked to in the interview never even looked at my resume or portfolio, its sounds like they got thrown in last minute. It all felt really rushed and not prepared.

Interview Questions
    • What do you like about design? What inspires you to design? What is your design process? How do you work with engineers? how do you like working with product managers?   Answer Question

Software Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at PayPal in April 2014.

two telephonic rounds, both are technical in nature.
    it was for a c++ opening
    first round: general c++ questions about oops concepts copy constructor and one simple algorithm, find missing number in an array.
    second round: some questions about previous project and one strcpy question
    and the worst thing is they insist on puzzles. it sucks big time when companies ask puzzles, they should have policies to NOT ask puzzles.

Interview Questions
    • Copy constructor
      find missing element in a array of integers sorted
      strcpy function with test cases

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at PayPal.

Entire process took a week. Scheduled a phone interview that involved solving a problem programmatically on collabedit.

Interview Questions
    • Need to be thorough in Data Structures and Algorithms.   Answer Question