PayPal Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 8, 2015

2.8

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

There are 4 rounds. They mainly asked me the experiences in previous projects. They also asked me some design questions (distributed system) and algorithms questions. I thought it is easy but in retrospect, they seem don't like me. Three out of four are from India. They are very professional developer. Because they are contributors of some open source project.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for PayPal

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at PayPal.

Interview

A friend who worked at Paypal forwarded my resume to their internal recruiter and she set-up a phone screen for me.

The person called-up at the scheduled time and without bothering to introduce himself plunged right into asking me about my most recent project. Within 2-3 sentences he interrupted me and jumped to another section of my resume. Within 2-3 sentences of that he interrupted again and jumped to my education. I got the feeling that he was not really listening to me. I had taken a course in compilers several years ago and he then asked me to describe how to write a compiler. I mixed up a lexer and a parser in the first sentence and he got ticked off about that - rudely correcting me before I could correct myself. He then peppered me with questions that were absolutely irrelevant to the job I was applying for - example what is a fast-fourier transform and how is it used in signal processing? I was just taken aback at this question - I'm not a analog/digital processing electrical engineer nor do I play one on TV!

The interviewer came across as having a huge superiority complex - essentially being rude and condescending throughout the interview.

I narrated my experience to my friend and he confirmed that the person who interviewed has had several run-ins with his co-workers and management because of his attitude. Oh well.

Interview Questions

• What is a fast-fourier transform and how is it used in signal processing? This was for a software-developer position!   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Basic coding questions, and some simple design questions. Focusses mainly on simple whiteboard questions and how well you know some data structures. Not difficult and if you are a decent coder you should be able to crack this

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

The process started more then a month ago. I've had 4 phone call, between the HR staff, hiring manager internal recruiters...

Interview Questions

• Here's the problem the questions were not difficult, just so basic and uncomplicated "Design for me a web application". I can do that in a "Hello World" socket connection. Now what do you what it to do? ....or I can design a Web Application that does it all...   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at PayPal (Austin, TX) in February 2014.

Interview

A quick introduction phone interview followed by a technical phone screen the following week.

Interview Questions

• The most difficulty was understanding the interviewer whose native language is not english. Also, their appeared to be a volume gate on the interviewer's speaker phone so that if the interviewer did not speak up enough, it would sound muffled and not understandable.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at PayPal (Phoenix, AZ) in February 2014.

Interview

Direct face to face interview, review of skills, general collaboration questions in gauging team interactions and personality fitting. Impressed with smart people that work at Paypal and they asked smart questions.

Interview Questions

• Questions related to responding to situations. One was a way to help speed up serer responses.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No, the rate was for contract and agreed upon prior to interview.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at PayPal.

Interview

I was hired 4 years back, now the process is changed and it is usually a all day interview here in Baltimore. Expect a few coding questions, but very basic. I have not seen folks asking question on Algorithms or Data structures implementation much.

Interview Questions

• I was asked some sql questions back then, which I was not prepared for but somehow made it :).   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, I got a good offer.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

there were 4 interviews, very arrogant set of people. It appeared if they are from spaceship. I wanted to leave their premises after first 15 mins, mentioned that I not keeping well and left their office.
    HORRIBLE and ARROGANT

Interview Questions

• they had lot question about binary tree... but interviewer even didnot know dynamic_cast syntax and fundamental   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at PayPal in May 2010.

Interview

Bad Experience, very not organized, I was waiting for 15 mins on one engineer, because he was later, and then pushed me for speed up since he lost so much time. The other one was complaining that hr called him to come for interview while he was still sleeping this morning, and told me that this put him in a very bad mood.

How you feel if you will work with this team?

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at PayPal (Austin, TX) in March 2010.

Interview

Got a phone interview first for 30 minutes. After a day, got onsite interview invitation scheduled next week. Meet 7 people, 30 minutes each. Met two managers, one staff engineer, two senior engineers, two junior engineers.

Personaly opinion, the interview was orgnized poorly. some people doesn't show up on time and some people running late.

Interview Questions

• linux command, how to count how many lines in a doc   1 Answer

the salary they offered can't justify my move from my current company