PayPal Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014
Updated Sep 16, 2014

46 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Took 2 months from start to finish. These guys move super slow unless you take initiative. But once you get your foot in the door, it's smooth sail ing. The interviews consisted of a phone screen, tech screen, take home project and an invitation to an on site.

Other Interview Reviews for PayPal

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at PayPal in July 2014.

Someone gave me a call one day. I didn't apply, so I guess it was a recruiter. I answered all there questions, and they never called me back. They never gave me an email, and when I called to ask, they told me, "tough luck."

Interview Questions
    • 1. Verbal test:
      a) What's the difference between StringBuffer and StringBuilder
      b) What's the diff between a linkedList and arrayList? When would you use each?
      2. Language Quiz -Strings
      e)c.equals d
      f) c==e
      g)c.equals e

3. Code time!!!
      program a method that returns an inOrder Arraylist of the nodes in a tree
      public ArrayList<Integer> inOrder(Node root);
        View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at PayPal.

From various interviewers on-site, I was asked:

- Design and implement an iterator for a singly-linked list class.
    - How would you design a garbage collector?
    - Given two connected singly-linked lists (giving a T-shaped structure), find the node where they connect.
    - Implement a complete singly-linked list class in C++.
    - Cycle detection in singly-linked lists.
    - Describe the differences between C++ and Java.
    - Determine if a binary tree is balanced.
    - Describe the architecture of the systems of my current employer.
    - Describe how to maintain data integrity across concurrent reads/writes to/from a database.
    - How to remove duplicates from an array.
    - When does it make sense to store a tree ADT in an array?
    - How would you organize a data structure used for parsing arithmetic operations? (Like 3*2 + 4 = 10)
    - Write a python script to scan the files in a directory for a word. Return true if the word is found in at least one file and false if otherwise.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing truly unexpected. Thorough knowledge of OOP, data structures, and algorithms will serve you well.   Answer Question

I rejected the offer because I wasn't feeling the culture when I was on-site. That, combined with Glassdoor reviews mentioning the competitive culture with the stacked ranking system led to me accepting another offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at PayPal in February 2014.

In-order traversal of a BST, (without using recursion)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at PayPal.

Entire process took a week. Scheduled a phone interview that involved solving a problem programmatically on collabedit.

Interview Questions
    • Need to be thorough in Data Structures and Algorithms.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at PayPal in January 2013.

Interviewed with Paypal after graduating from college in December 2013. Process took about a month. Two phone interviews, final on-site interview which consisted of 5 hour long rounds of face to face interviews.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult algorithmic questions. If you know your basics on algorithms and data structures you should be fine (I was asked a tree questions, and array pattern search question). I interviewed for a position in mobile sdk dev so the interviews focused mainly on architecture and design. Practice your object oriented design, and think of how to design things to securely and to scale (client/server side caching, security, etc.). These questions can be particularly tricky for someone coming right out of college. Also, Paypal values a good culture fit so be enthusiastic, sociable, and confident.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at PayPal in December 2013.

The interviewer was very ARROGANT. I told him I prefer Java, however, he kept asking me C++ questions and stated how horrible Java was. He was supposed to evaluate my skill sets and the result should be shared by other groups as well. How can you evaluate me if you intentionally ask questions I don't know?! Btw, I got brutally stopped multiple times when I was answering the questions. Overall, it was a totally unpleasant experience.

Interview Questions
    • What's the difference between null and 0 in C++   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lavista, NE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lavista, NE

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at PayPal in February 2009.

Just talked to several directors, managers and architects. Just was asked about my work experience. No skill test whatsoever because the IT dept's management has really poor tech skills.

No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at PayPal in June 2013.

The initial communication was via email. There were 2 rounds of phone interview and one face to face interview (8 hours). There were 6 rounds, each with a different interviewer or interviewers during the face-to-face interview. The interview process was very prompt and efficient. Both the phone interviews and the face-to-face interview were difficult, even though it was for an entry level position.

Interview Questions
    • Suppose you want to convert (transform) your C++ compiled code to a JVM byte code (not java specific), what are the challenges you will face?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at PayPal in January 2013.

The recruiting people and the system are extremely unreliable, you will talk to multiple people and you dont know who is who?

As for their recruiting system, when they said they will send you an email via recruiting system but you will never receive one.
    Finally when you recall this and ask, they will claim that their system had some difficulty...

Asks a lot of Java details in interviews, programming problems are easy.

Interview Questions

Worked for PayPal? Contribute to the Community!