PayPal Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 11, 2015

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PayPal (Austin, TX).

Interview

I was brought in to interview for a Frontend UI developer position. But every person (except 1) I met with was a Java developer. The questions asked to me were not related to the position I had been led to believe I was interviewing for. They were very disorganized and some of the interviews were with who would be my direct report except he was not understandable (bad accent) and located in CA. They only positive part of the process was I am now confident I do not want to ever work for Paypal. Oh, tons of arrogance by the interviewers. I guess you've "made it" if you work for Paypal.

Interview Questions

• Java: Binary Trees; HashMaps; HashTrees.
    javascript Enclosures; Running PHP inside of Javascript.

Again, tons of Java related questions for a Frontend UI position.

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for PayPal

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PayPal (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online through their Careers website.
    HR contacted me few weeks later and asked me if I was available to talk to a manager.
    The manager generally questioned me on my interests, projects and described at length about the projects at Paypal.
    He asked me a few questions on my projects and in general, my opinions on different languages, technologies.
    After this, I had a technical phone screen with one of the engineers on the team.
    It was a coding round coupled with some questions on OOPs, multi-threading etc.
    I was immediately contacted for another set of interviews. Since I could not go onsite to their SFO office, all these rounds were online.
    I had three interviews which were completely coding.
    But the interviews were really friendly and extremely cool.
    They would let you arrive to the solution and were interested in how you think ,your reasoning apart from your code.

Interview Questions

• All questions were coding, OOPs concepts, standard algorithms and data structures. Complexity and some questions were related to JAVA.
      Nothing unexpected.

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online and got reply after one month. Had three rounds of interview. All telephonic. First interview was with the technical manager of the team. She asked me about my projects and other behavioral questions like why do want work at PayPal etc. It lasted hardly for 20 mins. Then the second round and third rounds were with the engineers within the team. They also asked me mostly about my projects. These were a bit detailed interviews and drilled down into the specifics about it.

Interview Questions

• Surprisingly no coding or object oriented questions were asked.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Was contacted a few weeks after applying through my university. Had a first round interview with an engineer and then moved on to the final round which consisted of three interviews with two engineers and a manager.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PayPal in December 2014.

Interview

I submitted my application in Nov. 2014, and I got the interview during mid Dec. 2014. They have two interview processes. The first one just asked everything on my resume w/o technical questions. The second one is two software engineer manager.

Interview Questions

• Technical interview: The first interviewer only asked something on my resume and just sent two programming questions through email. ( First one is concurrency problem with handing internet packet, the other one is reverse string with efficient time/space performance) The second interviewer asked general technical questions. Such as, compare the difference between C++/Java/Scalar, What's Map-Reduce, Tree-traversal, SQL syntax)   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Took 2 months from start to finish. These guys move super slow unless you take initiative. But once you get your foot in the door, it's smooth sail ing. The interviews consisted of a phone screen, tech screen, take home project and an invitation to an on site.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at PayPal in July 2014.

Interview

Someone gave me a call one day. I didn't apply, so I guess it was a recruiter. I answered all there questions, and they never called me back. They never gave me an email, and when I called to ask, they told me, "tough luck."

Interview Questions

• 1. Verbal test:
      a) What's the difference between StringBuffer and StringBuilder
      b) What's the diff between a linkedList and arrayList? When would you use each?
      2. Language Quiz -Strings
      e)c.equals d
      f) c==e
      g)c.equals e

3. Code time!!!
      program a method that returns an inOrder Arraylist of the nodes in a tree
      public ArrayList<Integer> inOrder(Node root);

1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at PayPal (Mountain View, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

Contacted through LinkedIn, scheduled a phone screening interview. Went well, reviewed resume, background, design decisions, career goals - fun chat with very experienced engineer. Got thumbs up next day.

Later provided with a coding challenge and about 1 week to complete - very open ended, combined lots of tools I used in the past but had to learn a few new ones. Had fun with it and implemented extra features.

Onsite scheduled shortly after, 5 interviewers at 45 minutes each, 4 from the team I would work with and 1 from another team. First few interviewers asked questions about specific language features such as scoping, terminology, limits, but I was expecting questions specific to the coding challenge - as I was told the challenge was meant to 'guide the interviews'. The last two interviewers reviewed my code and were on point with their questions - allowing me to demonstrate my experience well and in an organic way.

Did not get the position, but overall had a good experience. Disappointed I could not demonstrate my full value due to the way the interviews were structured.

Interview Questions

• Here is code intentionally convoluted with many layers deep of function calls - determine variable values at different points in the programs life.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA).

Interview

From various interviewers on-site, I was asked:

- Design and implement an iterator for a singly-linked list class.
    - How would you design a garbage collector?
    - Given two connected singly-linked lists (giving a T-shaped structure), find the node where they connect.
    - Implement a complete singly-linked list class in C++.
    - Cycle detection in singly-linked lists.
    - Describe the differences between C++ and Java.
    - Determine if a binary tree is balanced.
    - Describe the architecture of the systems of my current employer.
    - Describe how to maintain data integrity across concurrent reads/writes to/from a database.
    - How to remove duplicates from an array.
    - When does it make sense to store a tree ADT in an array?
    - How would you organize a data structure used for parsing arithmetic operations? (Like 3*2 + 4 = 10)
    - Write a python script to scan the files in a directory for a word. Return true if the word is found in at least one file and false if otherwise.

Interview Questions

• Nothing truly unexpected. Thorough knowledge of OOP, data structures, and algorithms will serve you well.   Answer Question

I rejected the offer because I wasn't feeling the culture when I was on-site. That, combined with Glassdoor reviews mentioning the competitive culture with the stacked ranking system led to me accepting another offer.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Entire process took a week. Scheduled a phone interview that involved solving a problem programmatically on collabedit.

Interview Questions

• Need to be thorough in Data Structures and Algorithms.   Answer Question