PayScale Interview Questions

3.3

New Business Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at PayScale in February 2014.

My recruiter set me up with a phone interview back in April 2012 (the last time I was on the job hunt). For whatever reason I didn't "click" with the interviewer and I was screened out. I then received two additional requests for phone screens 3 and 6 months after I was screened out.

Fast forward to Feb 2014 and the same recruiter set me up with another phone interview. My contact at the company was the same person (VP of Sales) that had screened me out previously. My recruiter diligently prepped me for this interview and I was positive I would have a more favorable outcome this time. The scheduled time for my interview came and went with no contact from PayScale. Not even a follow up note or a request to reschedule. I don't want to work somewhere that treats applicants this way.

3 weeks after my "missed" call with PayScale they sent another 3rd party recruiter out to contact me. It really seems as if they keep no record of who they talk to or what they are really looking for. I told her politely to lose my number.

During the prep process with my recruiter he let me know that they want you to be sold on the company and that they are big on consultative sales and he warned me not to be aggressive. I am so sick of sales positions listing requirements like "must be hungry" and "able to carry a quota and deal with pressure" etc. but then they want a nonaggressive mouse in the interview?

Interview Questions
    • N/A - but my recruiter told me to watch videos on youtube and be prepared for questions about them.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at PayScale in November 2013.

Was referred by a current employee and then contacted by the recruiter for a short interview where she asked me about what I knew about the company and my sales experience. invited in for an in-person interview. The interviewer was a young guy and it was hard to get any feedback from him. Then taken to observe someone making a sales call. I never heard back until two months later the recruiter emailed asking if I would be interested in a different position with the company, but by then I'd already accepted another offer.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if it was late in the day and you hadn't made a sale yet at all?   View Answer

Sales Executive Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at PayScale in February 2013.

Had 2 phone interviews. Then came in to meet with several different people. Sat with one of the sales executives to see what they do for awhile. I didn't get much out of that, what they do seems to be pretty typical of other inside sales jobs. They seem to put you through quite a bit for this kind of a position.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really unexpected but the manager I met with did seem to be pretty inexperienced, felt like they were a bit intimidated as I have far more experience. They thought I had too much experience for their team.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at PayScale.

I was introduced to PayScale through a recruiter. The environment and people were casual, fun and fast paced when I first walked in. Everyone actually seemed happy, which was a good sign from the start. The office environment is on the loud side. I met with 4 different people- one was with an AE and it was really helpful and casual.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me to sell a pen... which I wasn't completely prepared for, but it was a fun exercise.   Answer Question

Sales Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at PayScale.

Very young people interviewing me the second person that interviewed me it had seemed like he had never interviewed anyone before. He told me that they sent me in here to see if you would fit in. His only questions to me were tell me about your resume and what do you like to do. The company seemed like a fun atsomphere to be around. He didnt have any answers about the position I was interviewing for he only knew it was a new position- he wasn't convincing on the structure of the position made it seem like it was a position that one one wanted to work on as it was a new position

Interview Questions
    • It was a really straight forward interview if you prepare for it, you will be fine, there were no questions about what do you know about the position or company   Answer Question

Inside Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at PayScale in August 2011.

Initial meeting had 30+ candidates and was somewhat chaotic --- didn't even interview with a manager at this point. Subsequent interviews with managers (3) were much better but spaced out, had to make individual trips to downtown Seattle for each one. Sales management team is very young and if your age starts with a 3 or higher you might feel like a gray hair here. The Sales Director, final interview, asks very tough and off the wall questions about your background and career goals. I would suggest being prepared to answer just about anything re: sales experience both good and bad.

This role requires a lot of flexibility as you may be placed on a team that calls the east coast and are required to be calling very early in the morning local time.

Office is very nice with new remodeling over a very old SODO building. Fairly open floorplan. Not a great area for parking, I don't recall a garage in that building but I may be wrong. Very close to both stadiums which is great if you're a Sounders or Mariners fan.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most challenging product or service you sell in your current role, and how many sales have you made in that category?   View Answer

Worked for PayScale? Contribute to the Community!