Paychex Core Sales Representative Interview Questions

Updated Oct 13, 2014

3.2

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Core Sales Representative Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Paychex.

The process started with a quick phone call from the recruiter. It was followed by a test and then 2 separate interviews plus a field ride. The last step was one last interview with the zone manager.

No negotiation

Other Interview Reviews for Paychex

Core Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Paychex.

Phone Screen, In person interview with local manager, In person interview with Regional Manager, Field Ride with a rep. At each point in the process, someone asked me to start at an important part of my life, and walk them through events up to current day.

Interview Questions
    • Typical sales questions....strengths/weaknesses, what does a good sales rep do, why do you think you would be successful.   Answer Question
    They do not let you negotiate your base, which I think is fair, so that everyone is the same at the start. They should however give raises to base as you progress through your career.

Core Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Paychex.

Phone Screen, 1:1 with two sales managers, field ride, final interview with zone manager. The sales manager did not show up for 1st meeting, was late to second meeting and the field ride rep did not show up on time either.
    Total waste of time and lack of respect with this company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Paychex in May 2013.

Pretty extensive process. Essentially you have an initial phone interview, online assessment, in person interview with Sales Manager, in person interview with another Sales Manager, and then finally an interview with a VP of sales.

No negot. Straight base salary + commission

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Paychex.

Interviewing process does take 1-2 months. Be prepared to have your ducks in order when interviewing for this company. I studied the company, its products and services, and the industry. Phone interview is standard, got the call back to meet with manager. I knew the interview was going well when the manager started talking about compensation, what the job was like (in detail), and what to expect. This interview lasted 90 minutes. Took their math test and personality test. Next, received a call back to do a ride day with current rep, we hit it off and it went very well. Then met with another manager in different office. Final step was to have an interview with the Zone manager. Waited 10-15 minutes in their office for final decision, was made an offer at that point. I asked to negotiate the base, which was denied. The manager said all reps start at $38K base. I have 7+ years of sales experience. I accepted the position. The economy affected my sales career and I needed to get back in the door with a great company.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a challenge you overcame with a difficult client?   View Answer
    • Tell me why you left your last employers?   View Answer
    • Tell me what your greatest success was in your sales career?   View Answer
    $38K base, no negotiation, but I asked. Manager said company policy. No room for negotiation for base. Surprised, but not surprised since it's big corporate. Bottom line, this is a demanding job and the turnover is evident. However, you'll lose even more reps that are using Paychex for experience and have no true loyalty since there are higher paying sales positions in the workplace. And all the reps that get hired by Paychex know it.