Paychex Interview Questions in Dallas-Fort Worth, TX

Sales Representative - Core Payroll Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Dallas, TX) in February 2014.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted by a corporate recruiter a few days later. Phone Interview: She went over the position and explained the interview process. Asked about my resume and she had a few "Can you recall a time when/where you...." questions - Remember to close the interview by asking if you are a good fit and next steps. Next step is an assessment. I did not have to do the math test mentioned here at anytime during the process. I did the long, very long, personality/behavioral/scenario test. (I am also interviewing for a pharmaceutical sales position (pending), which used the same assessment. The difference was at the end. Where the pharm test ended the paychex continues with a planner type test. You are given a scenario like: You have a deal about to close with xy company, an issue with a current client whose threatening to leave, and also a very good referral received from a CPA. (Plus info on these companies is provided). It is Wednesday: Prioritize your schedule. You do this by dragging blocks to different parts of a 3 day planner. Not everything will fit on the schedule so you truly have to prioritize. This part took the longest for me, and because I was doing other things while taking the assessment, I actually ran out of time and did not answer the last 5-6 questions. I was notified I passed the assessment and was scheduled for an interview a few days later. First 1-on-1 interview: (with a sales manager) -- We went over my resume and i also was asked behavioral sales based questions. Nothing too hard and that can not be found here on Glassdoor. Know your resume and prepare well thought out answers. Excitement and enthusiasm is key. Dont always wait to the end to ask questions. Make it a conversation. Interview lasted: 35-40 minutes. It felt solid. My only insecurity was my lack of b2b sales exp. (I have a bachelors w/ less than a year of sales exp.) If you are in the same boat, communicate how coachable, personable, and determined you are. --- Follow up w/ Thank you email. This went well and I was scheduled for another face-to- face with another sales manager: Second 1-on-1 interview: This interview was all about me. Who I was as a person. How I handled situations, my background from highschool to present, my interest outside of work, my drive and determination. KNOW PAYCHEX! The products being pushed. Know you are the best person for the job and leave the interviewer feeling like you are it. Close the interview like closing a sell. Ask for the position. --- Follow up w/ Thank you email. This went very well and I was scheduled for a field ride along with a sales rep. Field ride along: Prepare about 15-20 questions. (Dont worry, you will have many more pop in your head throughout the day.) Treat this like an interview and remain professional but at ease. Realize he will report back to the sales manager hiring you. If you are worried about what you are suppose to do...ASK! "What should my role with you be today". It should be to 1. Observe 2. Learn and 3. Ask questions/receive feedback. After every customer interaction, recap in the car and at lunch by asking questions. Why did you do this? What will you do with that information? ..Get to know this person, and engage him/her. Field ride lasted about 6-7 hours. Once back at the office I was asked to sit with the hiring manager. Update with what you learned and how it made you feel. Remember EXCITEMENT. Point out what stood out and compliment the sales rep. Explain what you learned. Close, close, and close again. At the end of the conversation I was offered the position. TIPS: Dress professional Prepare but don't over prepare -- Keep it natural Smile Become and extrovert Show enthusiasm and excitement Disclaimer: I was told that in most cases there is usually another interview with a higher up.

Interview Questions

• You keep getting a no from a customer at every angle you attempt to sell from. How do you work through objections? What would you do in this case?   2 Answers

Negotiation

None. KNOW THIS GOING IN! Paychex and there main competitor (who I declined an offer from) are known for there 30k range base salaries. I think if you have more experience you are offered 38k. I was offered A 36K base and of course the "perks" are included. Not major ones but just OK perks. Couple hundred bucks extra every pay period. Just know it is a sales job and the GOOD money comes from commissions. Base is simply a supplement for your basic human needs while you develop as a sales professional. This will either be my career for years or a resume builder for 2-4 years. It is well know Paychex/ADP are stepping stones to the more prestigious sales positions. Time will tell. Wish me luck!

Payroll Specilalist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Interview

Management makes a big difference depending on what office - no communication

Interview Questions

Negotiation

none

Client Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Irving, TX).

Interview

The hiring and interview process is very extensive and takes anywhere from 3-4 weeks. You initially complete the online application for the desired position. If your experience fits the position, it may take a week or longer to get a call from recruiter. Another week to be scheduled for testing and an initial interview... possibly another week for a 2nd interview. Once you offered the job and you accept, they will still need to process your background check, drug test, etc. This can take at least a week or more... pray they don't loose your drug sample or you are looking at more delays. They are definitely following a written hiring process but it takes a little too long and you can get discouraged waiting through it all.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really unexpected. Standard behavior type questions. How did you react to upset client and how did you resolve the issue? What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much negotation.

Client Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Paychex (Irving, TX).

Interview

Phone interview followed by a face to face interview. If asked to return you go through a third interview and you job shadow a representative for 30 minutes.

Payroll Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Paychex (Irving, TX) in September 2011.

Interview

Process consisted of submitting application.. Got a response back about a week later thru email with a link to complete a online test with 16 questions and 7 minutes to complete the test.. Afterwards, I received a phone call to setup a phone interview which last about 15 minutes... After phone interview, I went to face to face interview. First interview was with (2) floor managers, which I feel went very well. After the first interview I was offered to sit with someone that works in the same department and shown the desk that I would be sitting at if offered the position. That lasted about (30) minutes. Unexpectedly the floor manager came out the clear to get me from the desk to come in for a panel interview that consisted of (1) HR Rep (1) floor Mgr(1) Training Mgr.. I was asked personality questions.. And a few questions about my precious jobs... This process was about (15) minutes.. Afterwards I was told I would here something back within a few days.. This was on a Thursday.. So I'm not expecting to hear anything back until sometime next week.. I will post with the turn outs.. I was told that if I receive a call I will have one last interview with the Hiring Mgr who would decide if hired or not... Was advised that if hired.. There will be (3) weeks of on the job training.. Then afterwards (2) weeks of training in Rochester NY all expense paid training... Pay is lower then expected - it's a downgrade from my current pay at my current employer.. But I'm pursuing my degree in Hr Management and am very excited to have an opportunity to work within this field.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to go above and beyond to help a customer? And what were the results?   Answer Question
    • How do you handle criticism?   Answer Question

Account Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Paychex (Irving, TX) in August 2010.

Interview

I met the operations manager at a career fair. He seemed interested in me after reviewing my resume and said they would be in contact. I got a call from the recruiter (whom I also met at the fair) the next day to schedule the interview later that week. I interviewed with two supervisors first. Apparently the ops manager wanted me for an administrative assistant (even though I had work history that made me overqualified for admin asst) and once they spoke to me for 5 minutes they left the room and one came back about 5 minutes later and said that she had no idea why he would want me for the admin position instead of the account specialist position. She went and got two other supervisors (that supervised the AS position) and i interviewed for about 20 minutes with them. Once I got through that interview, I took a math test and a personality test. After, I interviewed with the operations manager. This was all in the same day so the interview process was very quick. It was a pretty formal interview with pretty typical interview questions. I received a call the next day informing me I got the job. I went in the next day for paperwork and negotiation.

Interview Questions

• The math test freaks people out sometimes. Don't worry about finishing it. Almost no one ever does and it is basic math. Not calculus!   Answer Question

Negotiation

I negotiated for more and they would not budge on the starting amount. They said I would get a raise at 3 months (which they no longer do now) and a raise at a year. I would also get a raise when I reached senior level account specialist which can be attained at a year or a little after (although some people it takes way longer). I ended up getting all three raises (3%, 5%, 5%).

Payroll Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Paychex (Dallas, TX) in February 2007.

Interview

I interviewed with 2 managers and 1 hr rep. I was offered the position later that week.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None