Paychex

Average Difficulty
5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Human Resources Generalist

I applied online and interviewed at Paychex.

Interview Details – Interviewer was very detailed about the position and answered all the questions I had prior to me asking them.

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Paychex in November 2009.

Interview Details – Very quick to contact you although the process is rather lengthy. It is usually about 6 interviews before you know if you were hired.

Interview Question – They will typically ask you about how you would deal with problematic clients asking for more than the company can provide.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – very unorthodox and unorganized.

Stamford, CT

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Paychex in April 2010.

Interview Details – There was an initial phone screen with a recruiter and she verified some information on my reusme and salary expectations (55krange) also we scheduled a formal phone interview with the Area Manager. The screening lasted about 20 minutes. I had a phone interview with the Area Manager that lasted about an hour. Basic questions where asked about my work history and experience. I was invited in for an in-person interview with the Area Manager. While I was there, I also met with 2 team members. They gave seperate 30minute interviews and it was pretty basic questions as well. Questions about teamwork, and behavioral interview questions. The following day I was called and asked to email professional references and I was instructed to take a drug test at a local testing facility that day. Once verified, I received an offer. Total process took about two weeks. The offer came within 2 days of email the references.

Interview Question – Tell me the difference between PEO and ASO and tell me the benefits and drawbacks of each.   Answer Question

Human Resource Generalist Interview

Human Resource Generalist
New York, NY

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Paychex in March 2011.

Interview Details – I did not initially apply for the position; the manager that ended up hiring me found my information online. About 3 days after requesting my resume, she called me to tell me more about the position. She then proceeded to conduct what I would consider to be a phone interview. She asked about my background and several behavioral questions. At the conclusion of the phone interview, she asked me to come in to the office a week later.

The office interview was long and intense but not difficult. I spoke with the manager and 4 members of the team of people with whom I would work. The interview lasted about two hours. It was primarily conversational, but peppered with behavioral questions. The interviewers spent a great deal of time talking.

About four days later the manager called me to set up a time for me to meet two additional members of the team. This interview/meeting lasted about 1 1/2 hours. At the conclusion of the meeting, I was told that they really liked me and were prepared to make me an offer, but needed to contact my references. They contacted my references and within 3 hours of my second interview, I received an offer.

A background check and drug screen were required.

Interview Questions

• What is the name of the CEO of Paychex?   Answer Question
  • Tell us about a time when you had to prioritize or how do you prioritize when you are faced with a number of tasks?   Answer Question

Human Resources Generalist

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Paychex in August 2010.

Interview Details – My initial communication was great. The person who did the phone interview was very professional and personable. I then met with the hiring manager. He was also great but then the process broke down and caused me to question whether or not I'd want to work for them at all if I were to receive an offer. After the first in-person interview I was told I would hear something within 2 weeks but I didn't hear anything for 3 weeks. Then, the hiring manager asked to meet with me in person again. We did meet and, based on how well the interview went, I expected an offer. I didn't hear back at all from the company until over a month later when I received an email telling me I wasn't getting an offer.

By the time I received the email, I was so relieved! I was not impressed with how the interview process was handled at all. It took far too long and the level of communication was less than ideal. I feel like I dodged a bullet. Not impressed.

Interview Question – I don't remember specific interview questions.   Answer Question

Worked for Paychex? Contribute to the Community!