Paychex Interview Questions

Updated Aug 30, 2015

3.1

Payroll Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Allentown, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Paychex (Allentown, PA) in August 2015.

Interview

Started with a recruiter calling me, asked four or five behavioral questions ("Tell me a time a customer was dissatisfied with your service; what did you do to remedy the situation?" and other such questions.) After the initial barrage of questions, I was scheduled for an in person interview two days later. This interview was another hour of similar behavioral questions, ten minutes of sitting with a payroll specialist on the floor, then fifteen minutes of me being allowed to ask the interviewer questions. The next day I was called to schedule a second in person interview for the following Monday. This was another hour of behavioral questions followed by my chance to ask questions of the interviewer. I was told to hear from Paychex by the end of the week/beginning of the following week. (I should note here that two of my questions to the interviewers were "Noticing that your client growth numbers are dropping rapidly, what changes does upper management have in store to keep those numbers from eventually dropping?" and "Some research shows me that there is a rather alarming rate of turnover for this position; what factors other than general stress may be behind this?" I advise future potential employees to skip these questions; the two interviewers I was with seemed VERY reluctant to try to answer these!) When I had yet to hear back from them by the following Wednesday (48 hours after their self imposed deadline) I called the office to follow up. I was told that the interviewers were both out that day and a recruiter would contact me later that afternoon to give me an update. No phone call came. After three behavioral question interviews and Paychex missing two deadlines to update me, I get a form rejection letter the following day. If this is how they treat potential employees, it's no surprise that their growth is stagnating.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time a customer was dissatisfied with your service; what did you do to remedy the situation?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Paychex in August 2015.

Interview

I had an initial phone screen followed by an online assessment, which was in turn followed by another phone screen. I honestly got the feeling the second phone screen was accidentally duplicated and not by design. After a day or so I was contacted back and was asked to come in for an interview. I met with the sales manager and things went very well, most of the questions were situational and required a final resolution. After that interview I joined a current sales rep in the field for an afternoon. It was a great opportunity to get a full picture of what the role would entail, after this I had a final interview with the Territory Sales Manager. I quickly followed up to thank them for the opportunity to interview which is when I received an offer.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about what you will be doing in this role?   1 Answer
    • What would your previous manager say about your performance?   Answer Question
    • Why do you think you would be a good fit for this role?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not negotiate. Base is extremely competitive with potential to more than double it.

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex.

Interview

Worked through a recruiter, interviewed and opted out of the process. In total the recruiter and interview process was quick and painless. Wanted to see the organizational fit for myself, but also how I fit according to me. Definitely come with some good questions to ask and any thing to make yourself stand out in a crowd of applicants.

Core Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Paychex (Miami, FL).

Interview

2 Months long, 36K base plus commision, a lot of cold calling paired with wear and tear on your car. I did a ton of research on this position and seems like a great opportunity for someone out of school, but was offered a job with a base of 65k so I had to pass as it seems this position was very turn and burn which didn't fit me.

Interview Questions

• Tell about your all the way back from high school. How much do you want to make?   1 Answer

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Interview

One interview by call followed by an interview at a Paychex office that included a surprise supervisor as well. The first interview by phone was a very easy interview, the second interviewer asked expected questions, while the third interviewer asked more difficult questions. It was all very respectful though.

Interview Questions

• They were focused heavily on finding out whether or not what I said on my resume was accurate. Also asked how I would essentially handle a major error with a customer.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Paychex.

Interview

The interview process starts with a phone screening, followed by a personality/skills assessment, then a ride-along with a current rep, and wrapped up with two-to-three in person interviews with district managers and higher. The interview process is lengthy and average in terms of difficulty. It is critical that you display confidence, charisma, and speak clearly during interviews.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a Sales Representative for Paychex?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

The process is rather lengthy about at least 3-4 weeks. I was contacted by an outside recruiter who screened me then put me in touch with an in-house recruiter who screened me again. She put me through a personality/skills assessment that takes an 1 hour and 45 minutes. We spoke a second time about my background. I then interviewed with district sales manger. Second interview would be with another equivalent sales manager and then regional head of sales. They are very upfront and clear about the overall process.

Interview Questions

• How much do you want to make? What was your W2 for prior year? Where do your see yourself in five years?   Answer Question

Payroll Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Auburn, ME

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Paychex (Auburn, ME) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied for this position months ago and forgot all about it. I received and email from a recruiter and completed a on the phone interview. After the phone interview I was invited to complete a math assessment test online. Two days later the recruiter called to set up an in person interview at their Auburn, Me office. The Interview consisted of two payroll Specialist supervisors who had a load of questions from a packet. The later that same day I was asked to do another in person interview two days from that date.. That interview consisted the branch manager and another supervisor. Then the next day I was offered the job pending a background check and drug test. The people were very nice and easy to talk to.

Interview Questions

• All the questions are behavior base, ex: Can recall a time you had to solve a problem? Tell me about a time you showed integrity?   Answer Question

National Sales Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Rochester, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

First was a phone interview with a recruiter where she asked about my work experience. Next was a face to face interview with two Managers, followed by a shadowing of a current employee, followed by another interview with two different Managers.

Implementation Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Paychex (Pittsburgh, PA) in July 2015.

Interview

Simple series of questions that asks for events and outcomes from that event. They are looking for alot of team work responses and how you overcame hardships. Overall the interview process is very laidback and easy to get through though.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you felt like there wasnt enough time in the day and how did you react   1 Answer