Paychex Interview Questions

Updated Aug 30, 2015

3.2

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Paychex in August 2015.

Interview

I had an initial phone screen followed by an online assessment, which was in turn followed by another phone screen. I honestly got the feeling the second phone screen was accidentally duplicated and not by design. After a day or so I was contacted back and was asked to come in for an interview. I met with the sales manager and things went very well, most of the questions were situational and required a final resolution. After that interview I joined a current sales rep in the field for an afternoon. It was a great opportunity to get a full picture of what the role would entail, after this I had a final interview with the Territory Sales Manager. I quickly followed up to thank them for the opportunity to interview which is when I received an offer.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about what you will be doing in this role?   1 Answer
    • What would your previous manager say about your performance?   Answer Question
    • Why do you think you would be a good fit for this role?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not negotiate. Base is extremely competitive with potential to more than double it.

Core Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Paychex (Miami, FL).

Interview

2 Months long, 36K base plus commision, a lot of cold calling paired with wear and tear on your car. I did a ton of research on this position and seems like a great opportunity for someone out of school, but was offered a job with a base of 65k so I had to pass as it seems this position was very turn and burn which didn't fit me.

Interview Questions

• Tell about your all the way back from high school. How much do you want to make?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Paychex.

Interview

The interview process starts with a phone screening, followed by a personality/skills assessment, then a ride-along with a current rep, and wrapped up with two-to-three in person interviews with district managers and higher. The interview process is lengthy and average in terms of difficulty. It is critical that you display confidence, charisma, and speak clearly during interviews.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a Sales Representative for Paychex?   Answer Question

Payroll Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Auburn, ME

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Paychex (Auburn, ME) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied for this position months ago and forgot all about it. I received and email from a recruiter and completed a on the phone interview. After the phone interview I was invited to complete a math assessment test online. Two days later the recruiter called to set up an in person interview at their Auburn, Me office. The Interview consisted of two payroll Specialist supervisors who had a load of questions from a packet. The later that same day I was asked to do another in person interview two days from that date.. That interview consisted the branch manager and another supervisor. Then the next day I was offered the job pending a background check and drug test. The people were very nice and easy to talk to.

Interview Questions

• All the questions are behavior base, ex: Can recall a time you had to solve a problem? Tell me about a time you showed integrity?   Answer Question

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

The process is rather lengthy about at least 3-4 weeks. I was contacted by an outside recruiter who screened me then put me in touch with an in-house recruiter who screened me again. She put me through a personality/skills assessment that takes an 1 hour and 45 minutes. We spoke a second time about my background. I then interviewed with district sales manger. Second interview would be with another equivalent sales manager and then regional head of sales. They are very upfront and clear about the overall process.

Interview Questions

• How much do you want to make? What was your W2 for prior year? Where do your see yourself in five years?   Answer Question

National Sales Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Rochester, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

First was a phone interview with a recruiter where she asked about my work experience. Next was a face to face interview with two Managers, followed by a shadowing of a current employee, followed by another interview with two different Managers.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Boston, MA).

Interview

Given a phone Interview first then asked to come in for face to face meeting with the hiring manager. Had several meetings with hiring manager and zone manager. Asked to do a mock sales call and presentation during the last interview. Went on a Rep field ride.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They give base and explain commission structure.

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex.

Interview

Referred by current employee, applied online, quick 10-15 minute phone interview with company recruiter, face to face with district sales manager, final interview with Zone Manager and district sales manager

Interview Questions

• How much do you want to earn this year?   1 Answer

Payroll Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Orange, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

After initial phone screen with a recruiter, I interviewed with 4 supervisors in a roundtable setting, each taking turns asking me experience based questions with follow up questions. After this interview, the panel submitted their impressions to upper management for review.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you were unable to give a client what they asked for.   Answer Question

Core Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Pittsburgh, PA) in May 2015.

Interview

I had 2 phone interviews and 3 face to face interviews. Then you had to present a sales pitch of what you previously sold. I had a ride day and its a little odd but they expect you to be clean shaven if you are a man. No earrings and no facial hair at all!