Paychex

Updated Aug 15, 2014

Average Difficulty
218 candidate interviews

Orlando, FL

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Paychex in May 2010.

Interview Details – Absolutely THE WORST interview process I have ever experienced!!. First I was taken into a room to take a math test. The test consisted of 50 questions and it was timed for 16 mins. (that wasn't as bad because I knew about the test going in). Of course when you're done, you have no idea of how well you did or not because they don't share the results with you. Afterwards, I was interviewed by a panel of 3 managers. I am used to getting the question, " tell us about yourself"...These guys took it to a new level..One mgr asked me to tell them my life's story from birth until now (i kid u not). Another mgr interrupted by saying that would be too far back and to talk about my life from high school and go forward. I was asked very personal questions that NOTHING to do with the job. They basically picked apart and gave opinions on MY life. It was highly unprofessional and would never consider working there if asked to. When I finally got to ask a question, they were very short with me and basically concluded by saying that old thanks for coming. I guess my life was not interesting enough and didn't fit into their mold. The initial HR rep with whom I spoke with was awesome but the panel interview definitely was a joke. Anyone interviewing there should definitely be prepared to dissect your life for the benefit of applying for a job.

Interview Questions

• I know you mentioned that you moved away about 20 yrs ago for personal reasons, but please tell us why you moved away and why you moved back?   Answer Question
  • Tell us about your life from high school going forward that brought you to us today?   Answer Question

Phoenix, AZ

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Paychex in April 2009.

Interview Details – Math test, personality test, interview with hiring manager, field ride, interview with regional manager

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – not really applicable everyone normally got the same starting salary based on position

Sales Representative

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Paychex in October 2010.

Interview Details – Do not apply for employment with Paychex unless you have nothing but time on your hands and you don't mind it being wasted. The process starts innocent enough with an online application and a phone recrutier calling you, but after that, Paychex is in a world of its own. The phone recruiter will send you a Microsoft Word document called a "Career History Form". This is a detailed timeline of your life from high school to today that includes classes you took, groups you belong(ed) to and interests you have. From here, you will fill this form out and send it back to the recrutier so they can then interview you on everything you just filled out. If you "pass" this part of the exam your information will be forwarded onto a district manager.

I arrived to the interview with a District Manager where I was immediately presented with a math skills test. The important thing to know about this test is that it is 50 questions long and you are only given 16 minuted to take the exam. The strategy is to do every easy/quick problem you can find and do as many of the questions as you can (it doesn't matter if you leave questions blank). After this, the DM will interview you and ask you again about your life from high school until today. They will ask you why you made certain decisions in your life and why you came to those decisions.

If you get past the DM, you will be given yet another test. This is a Caliper test that measures logical reasoning as well as your personality. The test is 150 questions, but is untimed.

If you get past this exam you will then have to meet with another DM in another office outside of the one in which you are applying (for me roughly 20 miles away). More of the same questions that the first DM asked you and I'm not quite sure why they have this process. Again, they will ask you about your life since high school and how you got to where you are today.

Still with me? Okay because here's where the fun starts. Paychex asks that you shadow a current sales representative for an entire 8am-5pm day. You will go on End User Presentations, meet with CPA's, meet with personal bankers and meet with clients. From here, the DM you originally met with will follow up with the sales rep you rode with and ask them if they feel you would be a good fit for the role.

Finally, my last interview was with a Zone Manager that Paychex asked that I drive 90 miles, EACH WAY, to meet with. The Zone Manager asks you how you like the company so far, asks you to define certain words and how they would relate to the job and asks about why they should hire you over anyone else.

At the end of my interview with the Zone Manager, I asked if I had earned his recommendation for the sales representative position, which he dodged by answering "You have provided me with the information I need to form a decision." The Zone Manager then LIED to my face by saying that the original DM would have the final say in if I was hired or not and would call me with his decision. I thought I was a lock for the position considering the DM told me, and I quote "I would hire you on the spot if I could. Unfortunately, there are more steps in the process so I can't."

Two days later I received a call from the original phone recruiter telling me that I did not earn the recommendation of the Zone Manager and therefore would not be offered the position. I tried asking why this was and Paychex could not even provide me with a reason why. You would think that after putting in a month of your time, driving hours to meet with various managers, taking multiple exams and giving an entire day of your time for a field ride you would be at least given a reason why they didn't offer you the position. But no. Not at Paychex. Spineless corporate America at its finest!

Bottom line: Don't interview here. They ask for too much of your time, resourses and patience all to be spineless and cowardly at the end.

Interview Question – Tell me about your life since high school.   Answer Question

Paychex Sales Consultant Major Market Sales Interview

Paychex Sales Consultant Major Market Sales

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Paychex in April 2014.

Interview Details – Recruiter calls to set up interview over phone. Then you interview again with the recruiter. Then you take a skills test/personality which is pass or fail... Then you have a phone interview with a District Sales Manager. Then you go in person to meet with the District Sales Manager.

Interview Question – Skills online test   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offer was standard, no negotiation. Excellent earning potential! Great benefits!

Client Representative Interview

Client Representative
San Ramon, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Paychex.

Interview Details – The phone interview was a solid 20-30 minutes. I was asked a good 20 questions. Be prepared with stories from past experiences and be very specific. They are huge on specifics. The face to face panel interview was a full hour with God knows how many questions. Insane!!!! I have never been to a more ridiculous interview in my life for an entry level position.

Interview Question – What challenge would you face in the next position after the one you are applying to?   View Answer

HRS Sales Representative Interview

HRS Sales Representative
Phoenix, AZ

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Paychex in May 2011.

Interview Details – You'll have a recruiter interview if you were head hunted. They'll then do a coaching call a few days later. Then a Paychex phone interview. Then manager interview. Then a ride along with a current Rep. Then maybe fly you out for a senior manager interview. Then drug test and BG check. Took about 7 weeks total.

Interview Question – If you did so great and made so much money at your old job, why come to Paychex?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. I found that out the hard way.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Denver, CO

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Paychex in June 2012.

Interview Details – Initially contacted by internal recruiter. Two phone interviews with recruiter with a one week wait to hear back for 1:1 interview. I was initially interviewed by 2 other admin assistants before I was interviewed by my future boss.. Took over 2 weeks to hear back and be offered a position due to manager being too busy to respond to recruiter. That should have been a red flag for how difficult he would be as a boss.

Interview Question – What is your biggest weakness. This is a tired an unnecessary interview question and doesn't positively reflect anyone's skill set.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. I tried for a higher hourly wage based on my experience and was told that was the high end for my level of experience.

HRG Interview

HRG

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Paychex in November 2010.

Interview Details – Panel interview with senior HRG and Department Manager. Situation questions on customer service and peer relations. The knowledge test was over the phone prior to the face to face interview. Then the personality assessment was conducted online.

Interview Question – how to manage type A personalities and several competing demands   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – very little room for wage negotiations

North Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Paychex in May 2014.

Interview Details – I got an interview through a recruiter who secured it in about 3 days. The initial interview included a 1:1 with two different managers and a math test. The entire thing took about 2.5 hours and as soon as I was finished another interviewee was ready to go. The next step after passing the math test and two 1:1 was to meet with the CEO and do a short presentation. I declined before this meeting.

Interview Question – The math test overall was somewhat difficult. While it was simple algebra, having to force your brain into that mindset and then back to an interview situation was hard.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I realized sales was not for me.

Payroll Specialist Interview

Payroll Specialist
Milwaukee, WI

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Paychex.

Interview Details – Over complicated. Tend to look for applicants when they truly don't have a position available. You will speak to a recruiter, then you take a math test online, then you have to come to the local branch for at least two interviews.

Interview Question – Ask how you handle stress. When they say that the job is stressful, they are not joking.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was given an hourly rate and there are no negotiations in regards to it.

Worked for Paychex? Contribute to the Community!