Paychex

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Getting the Interview

198 candidate interviews

Sales Representative

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Paychex in October 2010.

Interview Details – Do not apply for employment with Paychex unless you have nothing but time on your hands and you don't mind it being wasted. The process starts innocent enough with an online application and a phone recrutier calling you, but after that, Paychex is in a world of its own. The phone recruiter will send you a Microsoft Word document called a "Career History Form". This is a detailed timeline of your life from high school to today that includes classes you took, groups you belong(ed) to and interests you have. From here, you will fill this form out and send it back to the recrutier so they can then interview you on everything you just filled out. If you "pass" this part of the exam your information will be forwarded onto a district manager.

I arrived to the interview with a District Manager where I was immediately presented with a math skills test. The important thing to know about this test is that it is 50 questions long and you are only given 16 minuted to take the exam. The strategy is to do every easy/quick problem you can find and do as many of the questions as you can (it doesn't matter if you leave questions blank). After this, the DM will interview you and ask you again about your life from high school until today. They will ask you why you made certain decisions in your life and why you came to those decisions.

If you get past the DM, you will be given yet another test. This is a Caliper test that measures logical reasoning as well as your personality. The test is 150 questions, but is untimed.

If you get past this exam you will then have to meet with another DM in another office outside of the one in which you are applying (for me roughly 20 miles away). More of the same questions that the first DM asked you and I'm not quite sure why they have this process. Again, they will ask you about your life since high school and how you got to where you are today.

Still with me? Okay because here's where the fun starts. Paychex asks that you shadow a current sales representative for an entire 8am-5pm day. You will go on End User Presentations, meet with CPA's, meet with personal bankers and meet with clients. From here, the DM you originally met with will follow up with the sales rep you rode with and ask them if they feel you would be a good fit for the role.

Finally, my last interview was with a Zone Manager that Paychex asked that I drive 90 miles, EACH WAY, to meet with. The Zone Manager asks you how you like the company so far, asks you to define certain words and how they would relate to the job and asks about why they should hire you over anyone else.

At the end of my interview with the Zone Manager, I asked if I had earned his recommendation for the sales representative position, which he dodged by answering "You have provided me with the information I need to form a decision." The Zone Manager then LIED to my face by saying that the original DM would have the final say in if I was hired or not and would call me with his decision. I thought I was a lock for the position considering the DM told me, and I quote "I would hire you on the spot if I could. Unfortunately, there are more steps in the process so I can't."

Two days later I received a call from the original phone recruiter telling me that I did not earn the recommendation of the Zone Manager and therefore would not be offered the position. I tried asking why this was and Paychex could not even provide me with a reason why. You would think that after putting in a month of your time, driving hours to meet with various managers, taking multiple exams and giving an entire day of your time for a field ride you would be at least given a reason why they didn't offer you the position. But no. Not at Paychex. Spineless corporate America at its finest!

Bottom line: Don't interview here. They ask for too much of your time, resourses and patience all to be spineless and cowardly at the end.

Interview Question – Tell me about your life since high school.   Answer Question

Orlando, FL

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Paychex in May 2010.

Interview Details – Absolutely THE WORST interview process I have ever experienced!!. First I was taken into a room to take a math test. The test consisted of 50 questions and it was timed for 16 mins. (that wasn't as bad because I knew about the test going in). Of course when you're done, you have no idea of how well you did or not because they don't share the results with you. Afterwards, I was interviewed by a panel of 3 managers. I am used to getting the question, " tell us about yourself"...These guys took it to a new level..One mgr asked me to tell them my life's story from birth until now (i kid u not). Another mgr interrupted by saying that would be too far back and to talk about my life from high school and go forward. I was asked very personal questions that NOTHING to do with the job. They basically picked apart and gave opinions on MY life. It was highly unprofessional and would never consider working there if asked to. When I finally got to ask a question, they were very short with me and basically concluded by saying that old thanks for coming. I guess my life was not interesting enough and didn't fit into their mold. The initial HR rep with whom I spoke with was awesome but the panel interview definitely was a joke. Anyone interviewing there should definitely be prepared to dissect your life for the benefit of applying for a job.

Interview Questions

• I know you mentioned that you moved away about 20 yrs ago for personal reasons, but please tell us why you moved away and why you moved back?   Answer Question
  • Tell us about your life from high school going forward that brought you to us today?   Answer Question

Phoenix, AZ

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Paychex in April 2009.

Interview Details – Math test, personality test, interview with hiring manager, field ride, interview with regional manager

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – not really applicable everyone normally got the same starting salary based on position

Major Market Sales Interview

Major Market Sales
Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Paychex in February 2010.

Interview Details – I met with a recruiter and then was pushed on to the district manager, from then I went on a field ride with a current rep. After that I had a 1 on 1 with the district manager face to face and then I had a 1 on1 with his boss. Then was offered the job

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I was not able to negotiate

Sales Consultant Interview

Sales Consultant
New York, NY

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Paychex in September 2010.

Interview Details – 8 steps including mock presentations and group interview with the sales team

Client Service Representative Interview

Client Service Representative

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Paychex in August 2009.

Interview Details – Very detailed and ultimately multiple times done. The interview process does alot of sceening and should make any employee that is offered a position extremely happy they were selected.

Interview Question – Here at paychex, our company we resolve alot of client errors. If we were to hire you, how well would you be able to resolve those errors quickly and ensure they do not happen again?   Answer Question

Sales Representative

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Paychex in January 2008.

Interview Details – Interviewed with DSM, took math test, took caliper test, SPQ Gold test, Interviewed with Zone Manager, had a ride along--then received job offer.

Payroll Specialist Interview

Payroll Specialist
Tampa, FL

I applied online - interviewed at Paychex in June 2009.

Interview Details – Applied for position found in newspaper ad and was called within 3 days to interview for the position. Recruiter responded and we set up an initial phone interview which lead to an in person interview. Recruiter called within 2 days to let me know that she didn't like me for that position but wanted me to interview for another position which paid more money. Came in later during that same week to interview for the position with two supervisors of the department and was called within that hour with the job offer. What normally happens is after the recruiter phone interview and in person interview (most times its just a phone screening), you interview with a panel of supervisors (2-4 people) then you're set up for another interview with the branch manager for the final interview but I bypassed that step because they needed someone immediately and the managers had been in a conference that entire week. So there is a set of 3 interviews (phone, panel, branch manager) you will be asked to complete a personality and math test in the initial stages which is done for every position prior to your panel interview as well. Most questions are situational questions i.e. how would you handle an angry customer? What did you do the last time you had a client screaming at you? All of which are relevant because it happens in this place all the time.

Interview Question – What are items about yourself that you should work on?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The salary is set and pretty final (also low). Recommended two friends who were made offers but the salary was non negotiable.

Glendale, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Paychex in October 2012.

Interview Details – Paychex hiring process is very extensive and can be cumbersome however it does give you insight into the amount of effort placed into there hiring process. They recently switched the testing method to Top Grading. This method requires about 4 interviews and testing, once you are hired you are sent to rochester for training. You will then need to pass a Job dependent test in order to have a job. I would recommend to be proactive and plan for a 1-2 month hiring process.

Interview Question – They generally dont ask alot of very difficult questions however they do ask a lot. They ask you to paiint them a snapshot of your current career and how you got there. They will ask questions that indicate to them Why you make the decisions that you do. There were was not one question that stood out to me, sorry that I can't be more specific.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. Salary vary from department and city.

Core Sales Representative Interview

Core Sales Representative
Minneapolis, MN

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Paychex.

Interview Details – Interviewing process does take 1-2 months. Be prepared to have your ducks in order when interviewing for this company. I studied the company, its products and services, and the industry. Phone interview is standard, got the call back to meet with manager. I knew the interview was going well when the manager started talking about compensation, what the job was like (in detail), and what to expect. This interview lasted 90 minutes. Took their math test and personality test. Next, received a call back to do a ride day with current rep, we hit it off and it went very well. Then met with another manager in different office. Final step was to have an interview with the Zone manager. Waited 10-15 minutes in their office for final decision, was made an offer at that point. I asked to negotiate the base, which was denied. The manager said all reps start at $38K base. I have 7+ years of sales experience. I accepted the position. The economy affected my sales career and I needed to get back in the door with a great company.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a challenge you overcame with a difficult client?   View Answer
  • Tell me why you left your last employers?   View Answer
  • Tell me what your greatest success was in your sales career?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – $38K base, no negotiation, but I asked. Manager said company policy. No room for negotiation for base. Surprised, but not surprised since it's big corporate. Bottom line, this is a demanding job and the turnover is evident. However, you'll lose even more reps that are using Paychex for experience and have no true loyalty since there are higher paying sales positions in the workplace. And all the reps that get hired by Paychex know it.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Paychex

Worked for Paychex? Contribute to the Community!

Paychex Videos

Paychex – Why Work for Us?

Paychex, Inc. is a leading provider of payroll, human resource, and benefits outsourcing solutions for small- to medium-sized businesses. The company offers comprehensive payroll services, including payroll processing… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Paychex interview questions and advice. All 198 interview reviews posted anonymously by Paychex employees and interview candidates.