Paychex Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 15, 2014
218 interviews

3.1

Sales Representative Interview

They called me because someone emailed them about me. Had me take an online assessment. Called and now I have an upcoming face-to-face interview! So far so good!

Sales Representative - Core Payroll Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Paychex in February 2014.

Applied online and was contacted by a corporate recruiter a few days later.
    Phone Interview: She went over the position and explained the interview process. Asked about my resume and she had a few "Can you recall a time when/where you...." questions - Remember to close the interview by asking if you are a good fit and next steps.

Next step is an assessment. I did not have to do the math test mentioned here at anytime during the process. I did the long, very long, personality/behavioral/scenario test. (I am also interviewing for a pharmaceutical sales position (pending), which used the same assessment. The difference was at the end. Where the pharm test ended the paychex continues with a planner type test. You are given a scenario like: You have a deal about to close with xy company, an issue with a current client whose threatening to leave, and also a very good referral received from a CPA. (Plus info on these companies is provided). It is Wednesday: Prioritize your schedule. You do this by dragging blocks to different parts of a 3 day planner. Not everything will fit on the schedule so you truly have to prioritize. This part took the longest for me, and because I was doing other things while taking the assessment, I actually ran out of time and did not answer the last 5-6 questions.

I was notified I passed the assessment and was scheduled for an interview a few days later.

First 1-on-1 interview: (with a sales manager) -- We went over my resume and i also was asked behavioral sales based questions. Nothing too hard and that can not be found here on Glassdoor. Know your resume and prepare well thought out answers. Excitement and enthusiasm is key. Dont always wait to the end to ask questions. Make it a conversation. Interview lasted: 35-40 minutes. It felt solid. My only insecurity was my lack of b2b sales exp. (I have a bachelors w/ less than a year of sales exp.) If you are in the same boat, communicate how coachable, personable, and determined you are. --- Follow up w/ Thank you email.

This went well and I was scheduled for another face-to- face with another sales manager:

Second 1-on-1 interview: This interview was all about me. Who I was as a person. How I handled situations, my background from highschool to present, my interest outside of work, my drive and determination. KNOW PAYCHEX! The products being pushed. Know you are the best person for the job and leave the interviewer feeling like you are it. Close the interview like closing a sell. Ask for the position. --- Follow up w/ Thank you email.

This went very well and I was scheduled for a field ride along with a sales rep.

Field ride along: Prepare about 15-20 questions. (Dont worry, you will have many more pop in your head throughout the day.) Treat this like an interview and remain professional but at ease. Realize he will report back to the sales manager hiring you. If you are worried about what you are suppose to do...ASK! "What should my role with you be today". It should be to 1. Observe 2. Learn and 3. Ask questions/receive feedback. After every customer interaction, recap in the car and at lunch by asking questions. Why did you do this? What will you do with that information? ..Get to know this person, and engage him/her. Field ride lasted about 6-7 hours.

Once back at the office I was asked to sit with the hiring manager. Update with what you learned and how it made you feel. Remember EXCITEMENT. Point out what stood out and compliment the sales rep. Explain what you learned. Close, close, and close again. At the end of the conversation I was offered the position.

TIPS:
    Dress professional
    Prepare but don't over prepare -- Keep it natural
    Smile
    Become and extrovert
    Show enthusiasm and excitement

Disclaimer: I was told that in most cases there is usually another interview with a higher up.

Interview Questions
    • You keep getting a no from a customer at every angle you attempt to sell from. How do you work through objections? What would you do in this case?   View Answers (2)
    None. KNOW THIS GOING IN! Paychex and there main competitor (who I declined an offer from) are known for there 30k range base salaries. I think if you have more experience you are offered 38k. I was offered A 36K base and of course the "perks" are included. Not major ones but just OK perks. Couple hundred bucks extra every pay period. Just know it is a sales job and the GOOD money comes from commissions. Base is simply a supplement for your basic human needs while you develop as a sales professional. This will either be my career for years or a resume builder for 2-4 years. It is well know Paychex/ADP are stepping stones to the more prestigious sales positions. Time will tell. Wish me luck!

Sales Representative Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Paychex.

I applied online and was contacted by a corporate recruiter. I talked with her briefly about my career plans and she told me the next step in the process was to complete an online sales assessment which was around 180 questions. After I followed up I was told that I would be interviewed on site. I set up a time with the recruiter and was excited to hear more about the opportunity they posted online.

The hiring manager showed up to the interview ten minutes late, then talked to me briefly about my experience. Then shared with me that they were overstaffed at the time and didn't have a position open and that I didn't meet their minimum requirements anyway.

I am still not sure why anybody would pre-screen a candidate for a position they didn't have, determine that they weren't qualified, and waste everybody's time by bringing them in for an interview. The job sounded like it would be great but I can't imagine working for a company that is this unprofessional.

Payroll Specialist Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Paychex.

The interview process was one of the most thorough I have been through. Numerous phone screenings, two logic tests, and a number of in person interviews was a bit overwhelming. Be prepared for the possibility that you may have more than one interview in a day.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations. You will have to work to increase your pay and its not something that happens overnight.

Human Resources Generalist Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Paychex.

Interviewer was very detailed about the position and answered all the questions I had prior to me asking them.

B2B Territory Sales Representative Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Paychex in March 2014.

Started with phone interview from recruiter, sent email links to sales assessment tests emailed directly after test did not hear back for over a week, left messages and emailed, even though I was told 2 days. Got email to schedule a second phone interview with recruiter. Second Phone interview, was told after that next step was for her to send to local office and see if they were interested in interview. Another week passed with no communication from her then got email asking if I was still interested in position replied and a few days later had interview set for the following week with local district manager. District Manager was 1/2 hour late for interview (not even in the building) interview was ok a lot of talk about my current compensation plan which is total commission and varies. Also asked a lot of questions about current job that I tried my best to explain but he admittedly knew nothing about and didn't understand. I was then told that he had interviews the next few days and would know decision to continue interview process by Monday, that would include spending 1/2 day in field with a current rep then interview with local zone manager then decision. Left message for District Manager and recruiter on Monday got generic email from human resources on Tuesday stating wasn't selected for an offer at this time.

Interview Questions
    • none really stood out spent more time on current position not experience that would be relevant to position   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Paychex.

Very difficult interview process. They are very selective on who they choose to be apart of their team. The managers and field reps loved everything that Paychex had to offer which made me want to accept the offer. I did go through five interviews! There is unlimited potential in this role and they want to promote you!

Account Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Audubon, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Audubon, PA

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Paychex in August 2010.

Already working as Client Service Rep. Interviews with an AS supervisor and the Hub Manager

Interview Questions
    • "Describe a time where a process failed and you fixed it."   View Answer
    No negotiation. I was the top candidate but they couldn't budget the job so I had to wait 18 months til another Account Specialist left.

National Sales Support Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at Paychex in January 2010.

Applied with recruiter, phone interview, in person interview

Core Sales Representative Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Paychex.

Phone Screen, 1:1 with two sales managers, field ride, final interview with zone manager. The sales manager did not show up for 1st meeting, was late to second meeting and the field ride rep did not show up on time either.
    Total waste of time and lack of respect with this company.