Paychex

3.1

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Paychex.

Very difficult interview process. They are very selective on who they choose to be apart of their team. The managers and field reps loved everything that Paychex had to offer which made me want to accept the offer. I did go through five interviews! There is unlimited potential in this role and they want to promote you!

Sales Representative - Core Payroll Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Paychex in February 2014.

Applied online and was contacted by a corporate recruiter a few days later.
    Phone Interview: She went over the position and explained the interview process. Asked about my resume and she had a few "Can you recall a time when/where you...." questions - Remember to close the interview by asking if you are a good fit and next steps.

Next step is an assessment. I did not have to do the math test mentioned here at anytime during the process. I did the long, very long, personality/behavioral/scenario test. (I am also interviewing for a pharmaceutical sales position (pending), which used the same assessment. The difference was at the end. Where the pharm test ended the paychex continues with a planner type test. You are given a scenario like: You have a deal about to close with xy company, an issue with a current client whose threatening to leave, and also a very good referral received from a CPA. (Plus info on these companies is provided). It is Wednesday: Prioritize your schedule. You do this by dragging blocks to different parts of a 3 day planner. Not everything will fit on the schedule so you truly have to prioritize. This part took the longest for me, and because I was doing other things while taking the assessment, I actually ran out of time and did not answer the last 5-6 questions.

I was notified I passed the assessment and was scheduled for an interview a few days later.

First 1-on-1 interview: (with a sales manager) -- We went over my resume and i also was asked behavioral sales based questions. Nothing too hard and that can not be found here on Glassdoor. Know your resume and prepare well thought out answers. Excitement and enthusiasm is key. Dont always wait to the end to ask questions. Make it a conversation. Interview lasted: 35-40 minutes. It felt solid. My only insecurity was my lack of b2b sales exp. (I have a bachelors w/ less than a year of sales exp.) If you are in the same boat, communicate how coachable, personable, and determined you are. --- Follow up w/ Thank you email.

This went well and I was scheduled for another face-to- face with another sales manager:

Second 1-on-1 interview: This interview was all about me. Who I was as a person. How I handled situations, my background from highschool to present, my interest outside of work, my drive and determination. KNOW PAYCHEX! The products being pushed. Know you are the best person for the job and leave the interviewer feeling like you are it. Close the interview like closing a sell. Ask for the position. --- Follow up w/ Thank you email.

This went very well and I was scheduled for a field ride along with a sales rep.

Field ride along: Prepare about 15-20 questions. (Dont worry, you will have many more pop in your head throughout the day.) Treat this like an interview and remain professional but at ease. Realize he will report back to the sales manager hiring you. If you are worried about what you are suppose to do...ASK! "What should my role with you be today". It should be to 1. Observe 2. Learn and 3. Ask questions/receive feedback. After every customer interaction, recap in the car and at lunch by asking questions. Why did you do this? What will you do with that information? ..Get to know this person, and engage him/her. Field ride lasted about 6-7 hours.

Once back at the office I was asked to sit with the hiring manager. Update with what you learned and how it made you feel. Remember EXCITEMENT. Point out what stood out and compliment the sales rep. Explain what you learned. Close, close, and close again. At the end of the conversation I was offered the position.

TIPS:
    Dress professional
    Prepare but don't over prepare -- Keep it natural
    Smile
    Become and extrovert
    Show enthusiasm and excitement

Disclaimer: I was told that in most cases there is usually another interview with a higher up.

Interview Questions
    • You keep getting a no from a customer at every angle you attempt to sell from. How do you work through objections? What would you do in this case?   View Answers (2)
    None. KNOW THIS GOING IN! Paychex and there main competitor (who I declined an offer from) are known for there 30k range base salaries. I think if you have more experience you are offered 38k. I was offered A 36K base and of course the "perks" are included. Not major ones but just OK perks. Couple hundred bucks extra every pay period. Just know it is a sales job and the GOOD money comes from commissions. Base is simply a supplement for your basic human needs while you develop as a sales professional. This will either be my career for years or a resume builder for 2-4 years. It is well know Paychex/ADP are stepping stones to the more prestigious sales positions. Time will tell. Wish me luck!

Core Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Paychex.

Phone Screen, 1:1 with two sales managers, field ride, final interview with zone manager. The sales manager did not show up for 1st meeting, was late to second meeting and the field ride rep did not show up on time either.
    Total waste of time and lack of respect with this company.

Payroll Sales Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Paychex.

For me it took 4 or so weeks to get hired. I got hired out of college but that is not very typical. Definitely a tough process but I liked everyone who I interviewed with and felt very thankful to get the job. They have you take a math test, some sort of personality test, and have you go on a field ride to get an idea of what the job is really like. I thought that was helpful and had a positive impression of the company and the people managing it.

Not negotiable.

Major Accounts Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Paychex.

I was contacted by an in house recruiter who after an initial interview, suggested that I take an assessment test first, since passing this was mandatory. DM interview lasted 2 hours yet I was asked very little about my experience and neither the Recruiter or DM responded to my e-mail

Interview Questions
    • Very little was asked of me. The DM did nearly all of the talking.   Answer Question

B2B Territory Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Paychex in March 2014.

Started with phone interview from recruiter, sent email links to sales assessment tests emailed directly after test did not hear back for over a week, left messages and emailed, even though I was told 2 days. Got email to schedule a second phone interview with recruiter. Second Phone interview, was told after that next step was for her to send to local office and see if they were interested in interview. Another week passed with no communication from her then got email asking if I was still interested in position replied and a few days later had interview set for the following week with local district manager. District Manager was 1/2 hour late for interview (not even in the building) interview was ok a lot of talk about my current compensation plan which is total commission and varies. Also asked a lot of questions about current job that I tried my best to explain but he admittedly knew nothing about and didn't understand. I was then told that he had interviews the next few days and would know decision to continue interview process by Monday, that would include spending 1/2 day in field with a current rep then interview with local zone manager then decision. Left message for District Manager and recruiter on Monday got generic email from human resources on Tuesday stating wasn't selected for an offer at this time.

Interview Questions
    • none really stood out spent more time on current position not experience that would be relevant to position   Answer Question

Human Resources Sales Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Paychex.

The interview process begin with a simple questionnaire, followed by a sales assessment. From there I was asked to do a phone interview with their corporate recruiter, but never made it beyond that. The questions weren't so challenging, however, the recruiter seemed to determine from our half-hour conversation that I was better at building long term sales relationships then the transactional sale that this particular position required to be successful. I was never given the opportunity for a branch interview.

Interview Questions
    • Very typical questions about previous work experience and what your ideal job would be.   Answer Question

Payroll Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Paychex.

First I received an email from the recruiter, which I was skeptical about, but we set up a phone interview that week. She asked a few basic questions and set up an interview with my branch. This was the beginning of several interviews.
    Everyone at the office was pleasant. They took me to a conference room where I was interviewed by two people. Then, they brought me a personality test to take, which was actually pretty lengthy. THEN, they brought in two more people, and I went through the whole thing again.

I received a call a day later to come back in and interview with two MORE people, the branch manager and assistant branch manager. I came in again, and met with them in another conference room. They asked some pretty tough questions- "Where do I see myself in 5 years", and "What am I expecting from this position" but nothing too out of the ordinary.

Interview Questions
    • Between all 6 people there were some pretty difficult questions. They seemed to ask a lot of similar questions, and I kept feeling like I was repeating myself, answering the same question several different ways. I remember, they asked me to rank my past jobs from favorite to least favorite, which I was not expecting. They asked a lot of situational questions, how to handle escalated situations, how did you solve the problem, etc., so be prepared with stories.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Paychex.

The process started out with an extremely nice recruiter who screens you and passes you along to a district manager. The district manager asks very basic questions and does most of the talking which can be frustrating because you feel as though they aren't going to learn much about you if they do all of the talking. They tell you that the process will go quickly, but you then must do a field ride along with someone which is a job shadow for a day. This is interesting and teaches you a lot about what you'd be doing on the job. I didn't like it personally because I felt like this was Paychex' way of getting the person you shadow to ask you questions that they aren't allowed to ask in interviews. After the ride along, you'd meet with the zone manager. The zone manager again will do most of the talking, explaining things, asking if you have questions for them, but doesn't really ask many questions to get to know who YOU are and what you're capable of delivering. Frustrating. If you try to follow up with either manager you will never get a response, you must follow up through the recruiter who also will not get answers from the managers. My experience ended with the zone manager saying they'd make a decision within 24 hours, then not hearing back for 6 days.

Interview Questions
    • They really don't ask you anything out of the ordinary. They do most of the talking.   Answer Question

Payroll Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Paychex.

I applied online and about 1 week later I received an email asking if I was interested in the position still. I replied that I was and was sent a Math test. The test is basic math and only took about 15min. After I completed the test I received another email asking if I would be interested in a phone interview. I respond and just completed that portion of the hiring process. The next step is a face to face interview with the local office. From there I was told there is going to be training for 2-3 weeks and the a "classroom" like training in Rochester, New York.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to answer behavioral based questions. Remember when you answer these questions to give a specific example. Who was the person, what was the problem, how did you solve the problem? That is what they are looking for as an answer. Do not give a general answerm   Answer Question