Paychex Interview Questions

3.1

Account Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Audubon, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Audubon, PA

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Paychex in August 2010.

Already working as Client Service Rep. Interviews with an AS supervisor and the Hub Manager

Interview Questions
    • "Describe a time where a process failed and you fixed it."   View Answer
    No negotiation. I was the top candidate but they couldn't budget the job so I had to wait 18 months til another Account Specialist left.

National Sales Support Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Paychex in January 2010.

Applied with recruiter, phone interview, in person interview

Core Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Paychex.

Phone Screen, 1:1 with two sales managers, field ride, final interview with zone manager. The sales manager did not show up for 1st meeting, was late to second meeting and the field ride rep did not show up on time either.
    Total waste of time and lack of respect with this company.

Payroll Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Paychex in February 2012.

First round was with district and field sales managers. Typical interview questions. Second round was a personality exam and then a field ride with one of the reps to get a feel for a normal day in the position. The final interview was the most difficult and was with the Zone manager where he really tried to break you down.

Interview Questions
    • Why should Paychex hire you? Followed by a lot of "so what" responses so be prepared to elaborate.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate this was my first full time position and there wasn't any room to negotiate. The commission was uncapped.

Account Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Irving, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

I applied through other source. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Paychex in August 2010.

I met the operations manager at a career fair. He seemed interested in me after reviewing my resume and said they would be in contact. I got a call from the recruiter (whom I also met at the fair) the next day to schedule the interview later that week.

I interviewed with two supervisors first. Apparently the ops manager wanted me for an administrative assistant (even though I had work history that made me overqualified for admin asst) and once they spoke to me for 5 minutes they left the room and one came back about 5 minutes later and said that she had no idea why he would want me for the admin position instead of the account specialist position. She went and got two other supervisors (that supervised the AS position) and i interviewed for about 20 minutes with them. Once I got through that interview, I took a math test and a personality test. After, I interviewed with the operations manager. This was all in the same day so the interview process was very quick. It was a pretty formal interview with pretty typical interview questions.

I received a call the next day informing me I got the job. I went in the next day for paperwork and negotiation.

Interview Questions
    • The math test freaks people out sometimes. Don't worry about finishing it. Almost no one ever does and it is basic math. Not calculus!   Answer Question
    I negotiated for more and they would not budge on the starting amount. They said I would get a raise at 3 months (which they no longer do now) and a raise at a year. I would also get a raise when I reached senior level account specialist which can be attained at a year or a little after (although some people it takes way longer). I ended up getting all three raises (3%, 5%, 5%).

Payroll Sales Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Paychex.

For me it took 4 or so weeks to get hired. I got hired out of college but that is not very typical. Definitely a tough process but I liked everyone who I interviewed with and felt very thankful to get the job. They have you take a math test, some sort of personality test, and have you go on a field ride to get an idea of what the job is really like. I thought that was helpful and had a positive impression of the company and the people managing it.

Not negotiable.

Major Accounts Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Paychex.

I was contacted by an in house recruiter who after an initial interview, suggested that I take an assessment test first, since passing this was mandatory. DM interview lasted 2 hours yet I was asked very little about my experience and neither the Recruiter or DM responded to my e-mail

Interview Questions
    • Very little was asked of me. The DM did nearly all of the talking.   Answer Question

Outside Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kent, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, WA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Paychex in September 2013.

I was contacted by a recruiter. Upon an interview for a sales position; despite my extensive experience (5 years beyond the minimum required), high performance in previous positions, with reputable companies, and extensive education, the interviewer took one look at me and my resume an asked, “How did you not know that Anthropology was not a career choice?" He continued to ask me if, “I worked in non-profit development because I came from poverty," and had a general condescending tone. He was completely unaware that Anthropology is the study of human culture. Therefore, giving me an additional awareness of human interaction, experience in research and more specifically market research which should have been seen as an amplification of my talents for a sales position, not a detriment. He was also unaware that non-profit development is quite literally asking for money without giving the donor anything in return. I've had to sell people on the idea of giving to benefit someone other than themselves. It was obvious that, as a manager, he had no idea how to interview someone and quite frankly I am surprised he is in charge of the hiring process. He does not recognize integrity or professionalism. I obviously did not get a job offer. However, I am now employed with one of the larger non-profits in the Seattle area and in 4 months I have already led a team to achieve over 100K in donation and memberships, as well as, bringing in about the same in group visits and rentals. I am a highly professional individual from the Chicago land area and have been employed with top companies in my field. I have never experienced such unprofessional behavior from a potential employer in my life, and that is saying a lot as a minority female. The interviewers’ behavior border lined on racism and harassment.

Interview Questions
    • "How did you not know that Anthropology was a career?"   View Answer

Payroll Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Buffalo, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Paychex in November 2011.

Initial interview was via phone with a member at the corporate office with very general questions. Follow up interview was about a week later with more job scenario questions and asking for details regarding my work history. From there I can in to the local office for face to face interviews. Stayed in one room and had a 4 managers come in one-by-one to ask questions. The first was an overview of my work history and each round got more job focused. The last of the four managers was the branch manager who offered me a position at the end of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you faced a conflict and how you handled it.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Rates are set.

Online Services Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Aurora, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aurora, CO

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Paychex in December 2013.

I was contacted directly by the hiring manager. There was an initial phone interview and then we met in person. The interview was friendly, positive, and engaging. It made me excited about joining Paychex. There was a slight miscommunication regarding my second interview with upper management so it was postponed (between Christmas and New Year so most parties involved were travelling). The process was fast and positive.

Interview Questions
    • Regarding my experience tracking metrics in a call center environment and how I motivated under performers.   Answer Question