Paychex Interview Questions

Updated Aug 30, 2015

3.1

Retirement Sales Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Paychex.

Interview

I was emailed by a recruiter who had seen my resume on CareerBuilder. After speaking with her on the phone, she sent me a link to do an online assessment that took about 90 minutes. She then moved me along to a phone screening with a zone manager. He was about 10 minutes late in contacting me, but emailed me and said the recruiter had not provided him with my phone number. I emailed it to him and he called me. After speaking with him on the phone for about 30 minutes, he said he would like to get me set up with a district manager in my area for a face to face interview. He would have him contact me that day to set it up. I didn't hear anything that day or the next 2 business days. I emailed the zone manager and received an out of office auto-reply. On the day he was back in the office he emailed me, apologizing the district manager had not been in touch, and said he would have him contact me ASAP. The following business day I was emailed by the zone manager's secretary to set up an interview with the zone manager (never did talk to elusive district manager). Met the zone manager and spoke for approx 1 hour. The interview was laid back and went well. He asked a lot about my previous job. No situational questions or digging deep about my sales process or thinking skills. It was more getting to know me and what I had been doing for work. He arranged for me to do a ride along with a rep, who contacted me to set up the date/time, so I could see the job in action and make sure it was what I thought it was. I arrived and the rep had very little scheduled for the afternoon as most of his calls had cancelled, but we went on one call, and chatted about the job quite a bit, and I was even more excited about the job than previously. I asked him about the hiring process, and he said congrats for making it that far, that there would be one more interview then I would get a yay or nay. I emailed the zone manager after the ride along... no reply. 3 days later I left him a message on his office phone. No reply. I checked the status of my application online and it said it was being reviewed. 2 business days later I emailed the recruiter who said he was in meetings the whole day, but she would be connecting with him the following day and would get back to me with feedback. I didn't hear anything the following day. Next day I checked the online status and it said a more qualified candidate was selected. In a week and a half, no one could send me a generic "thanks for your interest, sorry we don't need ya" email? And why have me come out and ride around with someone if I wouldn't be interviewed again afterward? Seems like a lot of this was a waste of my time and effort, and the communication within the company regarding the hiring process is disjointed.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Paychex.

Interview

First, there was a phone interview. Second, there was an assessment. Third, there was a face to face interview. There was another assessment. Last, there was the interview with the manager. The whole process took about 2 weeks to complete.

Interview Questions

• Discuss a time when you had to make a decision without consulting management.   Answer Question

Core Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Las Vegas, NV) in September 2014.

Interview

I interviewed w/ about 4 different people. First the recruiter, them the manager, another department manager, and then the zone manager. The last two were grusome. Theur interviews are designed to get you defensive to see how you react. And there is a two hour test or personality evaluation you have to take in order to be considered.

Core Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Overland Park, KS) in September 2014.

Interview

The Interview process is very relaxed. The questions asked are the typical sales interview questions. The interview was not a formal interview whatsoever. The interview process contains 2 or 3 interviews. After the interviews one will have a ride along with one of the tenured sales representatives. If the ride along goes well, one should expect an offer.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had to overcome an objection?   1 Answer

Payroll Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Paychex.

Interview

The hiring process consisted of a phone interview followed by two additional interviews. Once of the interviews allowed you to sit with a payroll specialist and basically see what it's like to work at Paychex. If you were successful in the all of those interviews you are asked to come in for a final interview with the branch manager.

Interview Questions

• To name a time you were faced with an ethical issue that involved a co-worker, what was it and what did you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation in pay. They have a set rate for pay and don't budge even based on experience. They tell you that you will end up making $18/hour after you complete payroll school. This is not true, while you will get close to it (off by $0.50) you won't make $18/hr after completing all of their tests to become a senior specialist.

Client Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Ramon, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Paychex (San Ramon, CA).

Interview

The phone interview was a solid 20-30 minutes. I was asked a good 20 questions. Be prepared with stories from past experiences and be very specific. They are huge on specifics. The face to face panel interview was a full hour with God knows how many questions. Insane!!!! I have never been to a more ridiculous interview in my life for an entry level position.

Interview Questions

• What challenge would you face in the next position after the one you are applying to?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Paychex (Milwaukee, WI).

Interview

Over complicated. Tend to look for applicants when they truly don't have a position available. You will speak to a recruiter, then you take a math test online, then you have to come to the local branch for at least two interviews.

Interview Questions

• Ask how you handle stress. When they say that the job is stressful, they are not joking.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was given an hourly rate and there are no negotiations in regards to it.

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Denver, CO) in August 2014.

Interview

I had a friend that was an Internal Employee, and she submitted my resume to the corporate recruiter. After the initial phone interview with a corporate recruiter, she submmited by resume to the District I applied to. After my phone intervew with the District Sales Manager, I had an in-person interview with two District Sales Managers. The last step was a phone interview with the Zone Manager (manages multiple Districts). Once all the interviews were completed, the District Sales Manager extended the offer over the phone right away.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume. Explain an obstacle you overcame. What motivates you? What are your overall career goals?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase. The base salary was set along with the car/phone allowance.

Anonymous Employee in Hauppauge, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Hauppauge, NY) in August 2014.

Interview

TWO HOURS LONG. It was all behavioral questions. Spent one hour with two supervisors then ten minutes shadowing a current employee and then 1 more hour with the manager of the supervisors I already interviewed with. There was also a phone interview the corporate recruiter before going in for the two hour in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you worked with a team. What were your tasks and whats goals did you achieve?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warrenville, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Paychex (Warrenville, IL) in August 2014.

Interview

Interview process started with a phone interview, then online test, then face to face interview at paychex. This took place over a month. Came back for second interview and tour, had benefits package explained, sat with a specialist for an hour. I spent half a day there and was told I needed to meet one more person, the district manager was going to be in and I was to meet with her that following week. I felt that all the interviews went well. I felt comfortable in the interview with district manager and that interview last about two hours. I was told I would have an offer by the end of the week. It was Saturday evening I received an email they decided to go another direction. Two months of interviewing. A tour of where the checks were printed and even sat with a specialist I do not know what happened or why they would go through all that and waste their time and go another direction?? And to boot...benefits were good but salary was $15.00 an hour and NO over time. Receptionist make more money.

Interview Questions

• If a client was extreme upset and you already tried working with them how would you handle this?   1 Answer