Paychex Interview Questions

Updated Oct 13, 2014
Updated Oct 13, 2014

3.1

Payroll Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Paychex in June 2013.

I applied online. Maybe 2 days later (Wednesday), I received an email from the recruiter for the western states. He asked if I was still interested, and then sent me links to 2 times tests. (Math and reasoning) After I completed the tests, he forwarded my resume to my local branch. (Tigard, OR). On Thursday, I set up an interview for Monday with the manager that called me. I went to the branch, filled out an application and had an interview with a supervisor from one of the teams. It was super laid back and not nerve racking at all. I was told I will know about the 2nd interview with a branch manager by this Thursday.

Interview Questions
    • 'Do you have any questions for me?" As the first question.   Answer Question

Territory Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Paychex in June 2013.

First, I was sent an email providing instructions for completing an online assessment. Once completed, I was instructed to email the inside recruiter to schedule a phone interview. She called and asked questions such as why I chose the degree I had, my B2B experience (I had none, yet, the job description hadn't listed it as a requirement), and my reasoning for choosing a position outside the city in which I lived . She offered me an administrative assistant position instead, which I declined. I received an email a few days later inquiring as to whether I might still be interested in interviewing for the territory sales position. We scheduled a tentative interview for a week away. I received an email 2 days prior to set up a window for the interview. I approved the window, yet didn't hear back until 1 day prior to the interview for an exact time. I declined to move further in the interview process.

Major Market Sales Interview

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Paychex.

Number of meetings with internal recruiter, hiring manager and regional manager.

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Paychex.

Went well.... took about 2 months to get through the process and receive the "offer letter."

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennesaw, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennesaw, GA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Paychex in May 2013.

Contacted me via phone after finding my resume on LinkedIn. Went through phone interview and wanted me to come in for a face to face with a pre-filled application. Had to take off work for the interview, and the interviewer gave the impression that I was wasting her time. Felt like it was over before it started. Didn't even ask for my application, had to remind her that I had it. Total waste of time, and after speaking with a few people that have worked/interviewed with them said they had a similar experience. Very unprofessional to ask people to take time off work to interview and not take the time serious.

Interview Questions
    • None! she barely asked anything. Her only question was about my current employer, not me.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, WA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Paychex in May 2013.

E-mailed two times to complete Math and Verbal tests. The email indictaed "prior conversation" and do not recall receiving any communication prior.

Attended two interviews with two managers each time. Awaited to interview with the hiring manager. The questions asked during the interview were similar.

Core Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Paychex in May 2013.

Pretty extensive process. Essentially you have an initial phone interview, online assessment, in person interview with Sales Manager, in person interview with another Sales Manager, and then finally an interview with a VP of sales.

No negot. Straight base salary + commission

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Washington, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Washington, PA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Paychex.

Was contacted through a recruiter. Nothing unusual about the interview; they just went through my resume and asked questions about previous experience and employers

Interview Questions
    • Why did I want to get back to work after taking time off and why did I want to get into sales   Answer Question

The position seem like a dead end opportunity

Billing Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Paychex.

one -on- one with manager, then upper manager all in same day

Interview Questions
    • they talk to you like an idiot because they don't want smart people so they can pay you so poorly.   Answer Question
    sadly - I accepted the job, with them not negotiating. My bad since 1 month after hire they froze all pay raises for 2 years then raised benefit costs.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Paychex.

Applied on-line. Was contacted by a recruiter. Took an online assessment (math reasoning and verbal skills). Went to a job fair at the company and had an interview. Never heard from anyone afterwards. The whole process took about a month to a month and a half. I had to contact the recruiter several times and left many voicemails before ever being contacted back. I also received calls and emails from the recruiter on the weekends...I thought that was odd. I was interviewed by two people and they asked general interview questions. I had the chance to ask them questions and usually one person would answer and the other person would agree with what (s)he said.

Interview Questions
    • What would your current supervisor say is your strongest (least strong) characteristic?   View Answer