Paychex

Updated Feb 25, 2014

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Outside Sales Consultant

I applied online and interviewed at Paychex.

Interview Details – I saw an opening at a local office so I applied online and then I reached out and found out who the recruiter was. He was a young kid right out of college it seems, but very nice. Had the initial phone interview which was basic, more so just educating me on the position. I then scheduled in person interview with a sales manager. That went well I guess, since I was passed on to the next step which was an interview with 2 district sales managers. That I thought went well, but the recruiter emailed me a couple hours later saying they are looking at other candidates. The next step would have been a "personality test" and a ride day where you shadow a current sales rep.

Paychex is very corporate in their process just like ADP, Cintas, etc. They are looking for a specific type of candidate and I'm not sure who exactly it is. I'm guessing I didn't tow the company line enough although I was complimenting Paychex throughout the interview. I come from a sales background so I know what they're looking for as sales managers; but no such luck.

One of the district managers was a clean cut, young white guy who was nice but was wearing a bow tie and a sweater vest. I think that should give you an idea of the type of person who they might be looking for (can anyone say milquetoast?). Stay on top of your phone and email follow ups; good luck.

Interview Question – What makes you want to sell for us?   View Answer

Kent, WA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Paychex in September 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter. Upon an interview for a sales position; despite my extensive experience (5 years beyond the minimum required), high performance in previous positions, with reputable companies, and extensive education, the interviewer took one look at me and my resume an asked, “How did you not know that Anthropology was not a career choice?" He continued to ask me if, “I worked in non-profit development because I came from poverty," and had a general condescending tone. He was completely unaware that Anthropology is the study of human culture. Therefore, giving me an additional awareness of human interaction, experience in research and more specifically market research which should have been seen as an amplification of my talents for a sales position, not a detriment. He was also unaware that non-profit development is quite literally asking for money without giving the donor anything in return. I've had to sell people on the idea of giving to benefit someone other than themselves. It was obvious that, as a manager, he had no idea how to interview someone and quite frankly I am surprised he is in charge of the hiring process. He does not recognize integrity or professionalism. I obviously did not get a job offer. However, I am now employed with one of the larger non-profits in the Seattle area and in 4 months I have already led a team to achieve over 100K in donation and memberships, as well as, bringing in about the same in group visits and rentals. I am a highly professional individual from the Chicago land area and have been employed with top companies in my field. I have never experienced such unprofessional behavior from a potential employer in my life, and that is saying a lot as a minority female. The interviewers’ behavior border lined on racism and harassment.

Interview Question – "How did you not know that Anthropology was a career?"   View Answer

Omaha, NE

I applied online and interviewed at Paychex.

Interview Details – Very unprofessional interview with local sales manager. When I was told first thing that they were looking for "diversity' in the workplace I knew there were issues. Worst interview of all time and the Omaha branch has a nutcase as a manager!

Interview Question – What was the last book you read? Does it matter?   Answer Question

Worked for Paychex? Contribute to the Community!