Paychex Payroll Specialist Interview Questions

Updated Aug 27, 2015

3.1

Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Paychex (Allentown, PA) in August 2015.

Interview

Started with a recruiter calling me, asked four or five behavioral questions ("Tell me a time a customer was dissatisfied with your service; what did you do to remedy the situation?" and other such questions.) After the initial barrage of questions, I was scheduled for an in person interview two days later. This interview was another hour of similar behavioral questions, ten minutes of sitting with a payroll specialist on the floor, then fifteen minutes of me being allowed to ask the interviewer questions. The next day I was called to schedule a second in person interview for the following Monday. This was another hour of behavioral questions followed by my chance to ask questions of the interviewer. I was told to hear from Paychex by the end of the week/beginning of the following week. (I should note here that two of my questions to the interviewers were "Noticing that your client growth numbers are dropping rapidly, what changes does upper management have in store to keep those numbers from eventually dropping?" and "Some research shows me that there is a rather alarming rate of turnover for this position; what factors other than general stress may be behind this?" I advise future potential employees to skip these questions; the two interviewers I was with seemed VERY reluctant to try to answer these!) When I had yet to hear back from them by the following Wednesday (48 hours after their self imposed deadline) I called the office to follow up. I was told that the interviewers were both out that day and a recruiter would contact me later that afternoon to give me an update. No phone call came. After three behavioral question interviews and Paychex missing two deadlines to update me, I get a form rejection letter the following day. If this is how they treat potential employees, it's no surprise that their growth is stagnating.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time a customer was dissatisfied with your service; what did you do to remedy the situation?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Paychex

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Auburn, ME

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Paychex (Auburn, ME) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied for this position months ago and forgot all about it. I received and email from a recruiter and completed a on the phone interview. After the phone interview I was invited to complete a math assessment test online. Two days later the recruiter called to set up an in person interview at their Auburn, Me office. The Interview consisted of two payroll Specialist supervisors who had a load of questions from a packet. The later that same day I was asked to do another in person interview two days from that date.. That interview consisted the branch manager and another supervisor. Then the next day I was offered the job pending a background check and drug test. The people were very nice and easy to talk to.

Interview Questions

• All the questions are behavior base, ex: Can recall a time you had to solve a problem? Tell me about a time you showed integrity?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Orange, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

After initial phone screen with a recruiter, I interviewed with 4 supervisors in a roundtable setting, each taking turns asking me experience based questions with follow up questions. After this interview, the panel submitted their impressions to upper management for review.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you were unable to give a client what they asked for.   Answer Question

Payroll Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex in April 2015.

Interview

Friend referred me, I recieved an email notifying me that my resume had been recieved. Next email was an assessment, a few days later I recieved a third email stating I was no longer considered for the position.

Payroll Specialist Interview

Interview

4 interviews a bit excessive for the job. Initial phone interview with the recruiter, interview at branch with supervisor then another one with the branch manager. The last one you shadow someone followed by another q/a with the supervisor and branch manager

Payroll Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Paychex.

Interview

There is an initial phone screening and you have to pass 2 tests that test general math skills and problem solving. After that there are 3 interviews. My first and 2nd interviews were back to back on the same day. First interview with one supervisor, second interview with 2 supervisors, and third interview scheduled for a later day with the manager. After that you have to pass a drug test/background check. Very involved, but they want good people

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No salary negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Paychex (Albuquerque, NM) in November 2014.

Interview

At the time they were just doing orientation and right after you'd do a 2:1 interview with two of the supervisors. The next business day they would make contact to either make you an offer or tell you they went a different way. They break down what the job is about and some of the expectations they have for you. The process is much more vigorous now, however.

Interview Questions

• Explain a situation where you needed a co-workers help?   Answer Question

Payroll Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Paychex.

Interview

The hiring process consisted of a phone interview followed by two additional interviews. Once of the interviews allowed you to sit with a payroll specialist and basically see what it's like to work at Paychex. If you were successful in the all of those interviews you are asked to come in for a final interview with the branch manager.

Interview Questions

• To name a time you were faced with an ethical issue that involved a co-worker, what was it and what did you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation in pay. They have a set rate for pay and don't budge even based on experience. They tell you that you will end up making $18/hour after you complete payroll school. This is not true, while you will get close to it (off by $0.50) you won't make $18/hr after completing all of their tests to become a senior specialist.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Paychex (Milwaukee, WI).

Interview

Over complicated. Tend to look for applicants when they truly don't have a position available. You will speak to a recruiter, then you take a math test online, then you have to come to the local branch for at least two interviews.

Interview Questions

• Ask how you handle stress. When they say that the job is stressful, they are not joking.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was given an hourly rate and there are no negotiations in regards to it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hauppauge, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Hauppauge, NY) in August 2014.

Interview

TWO HOURS LONG. It was all behavioral questions. Spent one hour with two supervisors then ten minutes shadowing a current employee and then 1 more hour with the manager of the supervisors I already interviewed with. There was also a phone interview the corporate recruiter before going in for the two hour in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you worked with a team. What were your tasks and whats goals did you achieve?   Answer Question