Paychex Payroll Specialist Interview Questions

Updated Aug 15, 2014
Updated Aug 15, 2014

43 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Payroll Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Paychex.

The hiring process consisted of a phone interview followed by two additional interviews. Once of the interviews allowed you to sit with a payroll specialist and basically see what it's like to work at Paychex. If you were successful in the all of those interviews you are asked to come in for a final interview with the branch manager.

Interview Questions
  • To name a time you were faced with an ethical issue that involved a co-worker, what was it and what did you do?   Answer Question
There is no negotiation in pay. They have a set rate for pay and don't budge even based on experience. They tell you that you will end up making $18/hour after you complete payroll school. This is not true, while you will get close to it (off by $0.50) you won't make $18/hr after completing all of their tests to become a senior specialist.

Other Interview Reviews for Paychex

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Paychex.

Over complicated. Tend to look for applicants when they truly don't have a position available. You will speak to a recruiter, then you take a math test online, then you have to come to the local branch for at least two interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Ask how you handle stress. When they say that the job is stressful, they are not joking.   Answer Question
    I was given an hourly rate and there are no negotiations in regards to it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hauppauge, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hauppauge, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Paychex.

I applied online on Indeed.com. I heard back from Paychex and said they were very interested in me and would like to move me onto my second part of the application. Which was the assessment test. I completed it on June 3, 2014. Does anyone know or have experienced this, and how long did it take for the company to reach back out to you? Thank you

Interview Questions
    • Does anyone have any info on this? Or is anyone experiencing or have experienced this?   View Answer

Payroll Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at Paychex in July 2013.

I was very impressed with the communication both through telephone and email. The recruiter was there every step of the way providing email and phone updates where appropriate. Also kept me in the loop as far as their process and when I should be hearing back. This was the corporate recruiter... then when the local manager contacted me they were very informative on what to expect and where to go. The interview is with two people usually two supervisors. They ask you different sets of questions to gauge how you would be a good fit for the job with your personality and experience. They were also very personable during the interview.

Interview Questions
    After the interview, the recruiter contacted me and extended an offer letter via email. It was pretty straight forward. We want to offer you the job at such and such rate and that's really it. They have a set hourly rate and you take it or leave it. If it is in the range you are looking for I would take it. I did some research previously so I sort of knew what to expect.

Payroll Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Paychex.

The interview process was one of the most thorough I have been through. Numerous phone screenings, two logic tests, and a number of in person interviews was a bit overwhelming. Be prepared for the possibility that you may have more than one interview in a day.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations. You will have to work to increase your pay and its not something that happens overnight.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Buffalo, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Paychex in November 2011.

Initial interview was via phone with a member at the corporate office with very general questions. Follow up interview was about a week later with more job scenario questions and asking for details regarding my work history. From there I can in to the local office for face to face interviews. Stayed in one room and had a 4 managers come in one-by-one to ask questions. The first was an overview of my work history and each round got more job focused. The last of the four managers was the branch manager who offered me a position at the end of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you faced a conflict and how you handled it.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Rates are set.

Payroll Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Paychex.

First I received an email from the recruiter, which I was skeptical about, but we set up a phone interview that week. She asked a few basic questions and set up an interview with my branch. This was the beginning of several interviews.
    Everyone at the office was pleasant. They took me to a conference room where I was interviewed by two people. Then, they brought me a personality test to take, which was actually pretty lengthy. THEN, they brought in two more people, and I went through the whole thing again.

I received a call a day later to come back in and interview with two MORE people, the branch manager and assistant branch manager. I came in again, and met with them in another conference room. They asked some pretty tough questions- "Where do I see myself in 5 years", and "What am I expecting from this position" but nothing too out of the ordinary.

Interview Questions
    • Between all 6 people there were some pretty difficult questions. They seemed to ask a lot of similar questions, and I kept feeling like I was repeating myself, answering the same question several different ways. I remember, they asked me to rank my past jobs from favorite to least favorite, which I was not expecting. They asked a lot of situational questions, how to handle escalated situations, how did you solve the problem, etc., so be prepared with stories.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Naperville, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL

I applied online - interviewed at Paychex.

I applied online and about 1 week later I received an email asking if I was interested in the position still. I replied that I was and was sent a Math test. The test is basic math and only took about 15min. After I completed the test I received another email asking if I would be interested in a phone interview. I respond and just completed that portion of the hiring process. The next step is a face to face interview with the local office. From there I was told there is going to be training for 2-3 weeks and the a "classroom" like training in Rochester, New York.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to answer behavioral based questions. Remember when you answer these questions to give a specific example. Who was the person, what was the problem, how did you solve the problem? That is what they are looking for as an answer. Do not give a general answerm   Answer Question

Payroll Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Paychex.

I got lucky. When I applied they were desperate to fill the position before the last training session of the year, and they only had 3 weeks left. So instead of months of interviews and waiting, I did all my interviews in one day and was technically offered the job on the spot. (Interviews were on Friday, they don't do offers on Fridays because you only have 24 hours to do your drug test once you've received an offer, so they called me Monday morning.)

Usually it's the initial interview, then an interview with all or most of the supervisors. You are then placed with some one in the role you are applying for to watch them work and ask them questions for 15-30 mins. Then an interview with the manager of that department and lastly an interview with the branch manager.

Once hired most positions require you to go to Rochester, NY for a week or two for training.

Interview Questions
    • Can't recall specific questions, but mostly for me the ones that ask you to point out your flaws and such.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Paychex in October 2013.

I applied online and within a week, I received an email to take an online assessment which consisted of a math section than a verbal, I scored 95% so I got a call the next day. It was simple math, shouldn't be too hard for anyone who went to high school. I than proceeded to have a phone interview, which was basically just a run through of my resume, then a run through dog the job. After that phone interview I was invited to a face to face interview which was suppose to be with two supervisors but instead it was with the branch manager. It was a standard interview some behavioral questions, scenario questions, more info on the company and position. After this interview I was invited back to interview with the supervisors and to shadow a current employee. After shadowing the company employee I had a mini wrap up with the supervisors and the branch manager. I got a call within a few hours with a job offer.

Interview Questions
    I was told at the beginning what the range of pay was for this position, when offered the job I received the highest amount on the range so I was happy and didn't negotiate.

Worked for Paychex? Contribute to the Community!