Paychex Payroll Specialist Interview Questions

Updated Jul 18, 2015

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Auburn, ME

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Paychex (Auburn, ME) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied for this position months ago and forgot all about it. I received and email from a recruiter and completed a on the phone interview. After the phone interview I was invited to complete a math assessment test online. Two days later the recruiter called to set up an in person interview at their Auburn, Me office. The Interview consisted of two payroll Specialist supervisors who had a load of questions from a packet. The later that same day I was asked to do another in person interview two days from that date.. That interview consisted the branch manager and another supervisor. Then the next day I was offered the job pending a background check and drug test. The people were very nice and easy to talk to.

Interview Questions

• All the questions are behavior base, ex: Can recall a time you had to solve a problem? Tell me about a time you showed integrity?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Paychex

Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Paychex (Orange, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

After initial phone screen with a recruiter, I interviewed with 4 supervisors in a roundtable setting, each taking turns asking me experience based questions with follow up questions. After this interview, the panel submitted their impressions to upper management for review.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you were unable to give a client what they asked for.   Answer Question

Payroll Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Paychex in April 2015.

Interview

Friend referred me, I recieved an email notifying me that my resume had been recieved. Next email was an assessment, a few days later I recieved a third email stating I was no longer considered for the position.

Payroll Specialist Interview

Interview

4 interviews a bit excessive for the job. Initial phone interview with the recruiter, interview at branch with supervisor then another one with the branch manager. The last one you shadow someone followed by another q/a with the supervisor and branch manager

Payroll Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Paychex.

Interview

There is an initial phone screening and you have to pass 2 tests that test general math skills and problem solving. After that there are 3 interviews. My first and 2nd interviews were back to back on the same day. First interview with one supervisor, second interview with 2 supervisors, and third interview scheduled for a later day with the manager. After that you have to pass a drug test/background check. Very involved, but they want good people

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No salary negotiation

Payroll Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Paychex.

Interview

The hiring process consisted of a phone interview followed by two additional interviews. Once of the interviews allowed you to sit with a payroll specialist and basically see what it's like to work at Paychex. If you were successful in the all of those interviews you are asked to come in for a final interview with the branch manager.

Interview Questions

• To name a time you were faced with an ethical issue that involved a co-worker, what was it and what did you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation in pay. They have a set rate for pay and don't budge even based on experience. They tell you that you will end up making $18/hour after you complete payroll school. This is not true, while you will get close to it (off by $0.50) you won't make $18/hr after completing all of their tests to become a senior specialist.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Paychex (Milwaukee, WI).

Interview

Over complicated. Tend to look for applicants when they truly don't have a position available. You will speak to a recruiter, then you take a math test online, then you have to come to the local branch for at least two interviews.

Interview Questions

• Ask how you handle stress. When they say that the job is stressful, they are not joking.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was given an hourly rate and there are no negotiations in regards to it.

Anonymous Employee in Hauppauge, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Paychex (Hauppauge, NY).

Interview

I applied online on Indeed.com. I heard back from Paychex and said they were very interested in me and would like to move me onto my second part of the application. Which was the assessment test. I completed it on June 3, 2014. Does anyone know or have experienced this, and how long did it take for the company to reach back out to you? Thank you

Interview Questions

• Does anyone have any info on this? Or is anyone experiencing or have experienced this?   1 Answer

Payroll Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Paychex.

Interview

The interview process was one of the most thorough I have been through. Numerous phone screenings, two logic tests, and a number of in person interviews was a bit overwhelming. Be prepared for the possibility that you may have more than one interview in a day.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations. You will have to work to increase your pay and its not something that happens overnight.

Payroll Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Paychex.

Interview

First I received an email from the recruiter, which I was skeptical about, but we set up a phone interview that week. She asked a few basic questions and set up an interview with my branch. This was the beginning of several interviews. Everyone at the office was pleasant. They took me to a conference room where I was interviewed by two people. Then, they brought me a personality test to take, which was actually pretty lengthy. THEN, they brought in two more people, and I went through the whole thing again. I received a call a day later to come back in and interview with two MORE people, the branch manager and assistant branch manager. I came in again, and met with them in another conference room. They asked some pretty tough questions- "Where do I see myself in 5 years", and "What am I expecting from this position" but nothing too out of the ordinary.

Interview Questions

• Between all 6 people there were some pretty difficult questions. They seemed to ask a lot of similar questions, and I kept feeling like I was repeating myself, answering the same question several different ways. I remember, they asked me to rank my past jobs from favorite to least favorite, which I was not expecting. They asked a lot of situational questions, how to handle escalated situations, how did you solve the problem, etc., so be prepared with stories.   Answer Question