Paychex Payroll Specialist Interview Questions

Updated Aug 15, 2014

43 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Irving, TX
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Paychex in September 2011.

Process consisted of submitting application.. Got a response back about a week later thru email with a link to complete a online test with 16 questions and 7 minutes to complete the test.. Afterwards, I received a phone call to setup a phone interview which last about 15 minutes... After phone interview, I went to face to face interview. First interview was with (2) floor managers, which I feel went very well. After the first interview I was offered to sit with someone that works in the same department and shown the desk that I would be sitting at if offered the position. That lasted about (30) minutes. Unexpectedly the floor manager came out the clear to get me from the desk to come in for a panel interview that consisted of (1) HR Rep (1) floor Mgr(1) Training Mgr.. I was asked personality questions.. And a few questions about my precious jobs... This process was about (15) minutes.. Afterwards I was told I would here something back within a few days.. This was on a Thursday.. So I'm not expecting to hear anything back until sometime next week.. I will post with the turn outs.. I was told that if I receive a call I will have one last interview with the Hiring Mgr who would decide if hired or not...

Was advised that if hired.. There will be (3) weeks of on the job training.. Then afterwards (2) weeks of training in Rochester NY all expense paid training...

Pay is lower then expected - it's a downgrade from my current pay at my current employer.. But I'm pursuing my degree in Hr Management and am very excited to have an opportunity to work within this field.

Interview Questions
  • Describe a time when you had to go above and beyond to help a customer? And what were the results?   Answer Question
  • How do you handle criticism?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Paychex

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Paychex in September 2011.

I applied online and then received a phone call from someone at their headquarters who asked me some basic questions and then emailed me a skills test which I took online. I got a call back saying I passed the test and said she would have someone from the Columbus office contact me for an interview, which she did. So I went to one interview in person where I was interviewed by two supervisors. I received a call about a week later to come back for another interview where I took a personality test, sat in with a payroll specialist and observed her working for about half an hour. I was then interviewed a second time in person by two different managers and finally interviewed one on one by the branch manager. I felt that the interviews went well, I know at the final one on one interview I got a little nervous because the person interviewing me was very serious and intimidating. I received an email about a week later saying they were not going to offer me a job. I'm not sure why I didn't make the cut.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Piscataway, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Piscataway, NJ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Paychex.

I received a phone call with a few basic questions, set up an interview. In person interview was with 2 supervisors. Very comfortable, felt great. Shadowed a payroll specialist for 30 minutes. Again very nice, easy going, love their job. Got a call for a second interview next day! Went on the second inter. the following week. 1 supervisor, took 10 minutes of repeat questions. 1 week went by before I sent a follow up email that I didn't get the job.
    Piscataway, NJ

Interview Questions
    • "Do have any questions for us?"
      they must have asked me this 3 times and were really interested in me interviewing them.
        View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Overland Park, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Overland Park, KS

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Paychex in November 2010.

Interview consisted of a phone interview, skills test, in house interview, personality test and another in-house interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Paychex.

Over complicated. Tend to look for applicants when they truly don't have a position available. You will speak to a recruiter, then you take a math test online, then you have to come to the local branch for at least two interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Ask how you handle stress. When they say that the job is stressful, they are not joking.   Answer Question
    I was given an hourly rate and there are no negotiations in regards to it.

Payroll Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Paychex.

I got lucky. When I applied they were desperate to fill the position before the last training session of the year, and they only had 3 weeks left. So instead of months of interviews and waiting, I did all my interviews in one day and was technically offered the job on the spot. (Interviews were on Friday, they don't do offers on Fridays because you only have 24 hours to do your drug test once you've received an offer, so they called me Monday morning.)

Usually it's the initial interview, then an interview with all or most of the supervisors. You are then placed with some one in the role you are applying for to watch them work and ask them questions for 15-30 mins. Then an interview with the manager of that department and lastly an interview with the branch manager.

Once hired most positions require you to go to Rochester, NY for a week or two for training.

Interview Questions
    • Can't recall specific questions, but mostly for me the ones that ask you to point out your flaws and such.   Answer Question

Payroll Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Paychex.

First I received an email from the recruiter, which I was skeptical about, but we set up a phone interview that week. She asked a few basic questions and set up an interview with my branch. This was the beginning of several interviews.
    Everyone at the office was pleasant. They took me to a conference room where I was interviewed by two people. Then, they brought me a personality test to take, which was actually pretty lengthy. THEN, they brought in two more people, and I went through the whole thing again.

I received a call a day later to come back in and interview with two MORE people, the branch manager and assistant branch manager. I came in again, and met with them in another conference room. They asked some pretty tough questions- "Where do I see myself in 5 years", and "What am I expecting from this position" but nothing too out of the ordinary.

Interview Questions
    • Between all 6 people there were some pretty difficult questions. They seemed to ask a lot of similar questions, and I kept feeling like I was repeating myself, answering the same question several different ways. I remember, they asked me to rank my past jobs from favorite to least favorite, which I was not expecting. They asked a lot of situational questions, how to handle escalated situations, how did you solve the problem, etc., so be prepared with stories.   Answer Question

Payroll Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Paychex.

The interview process was one of the most thorough I have been through. Numerous phone screenings, two logic tests, and a number of in person interviews was a bit overwhelming. Be prepared for the possibility that you may have more than one interview in a day.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations. You will have to work to increase your pay and its not something that happens overnight.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fair Lawn, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fair Lawn, NJ

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Paychex in June 2012.

I used my friend that works there as a referral. I applied for the job online the beginning of June. I received a call from a very nice recruiter two weeks later. She interviewed me over the phone about my job history then she sent me a link to do a logic test and problem solving test. The next day she called me to schedule a 1:1 interview with a dept. manager. He asked me behavioral questions and gave me a personality test. Two days later I received a call from the recruiter to schedule the secound interview. I met with two supervisors that asked questions regarding my past experiences (multitasking, co-worker issues, organizational skills,etc). After I interviewed with them the head department manager asked me the same questions regarding work ethic. She advised me that I would receive a call no later next Wednesday which was a week away because the hiring manager was on vacation. I received a call from the recruiter on Monday telling me I got the job...The whole process took about 2-3 weeks but the recruiter was very nice and sweet.

Interview Questions
    • If your previous co-workers were here, what would they say about you?   View Answer
    • Are you good at working in a team?   View Answer
    • Is there anyone you just could not work with?   View Answer
    • Tell me a suggestion you have made that was implemented.   Answer Question
    No negotiation ..Set pay $15.00

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Paychex.

I applied online through my university's career service. I was called for a phone interview, then asked to take an online skill test. The skill test was focused on math and reasoning skills. Then there was a face-to-face interview with 2 supervisors and personality assessment. My second interview included more supervisors as well as the upper management for the branch. In all, I interviewed with 7 or 8 people. I also did about half an hour of job-shadowing to see the position I was applying for in action. Everyone was very kind and friendly. Interviewing is extensive and exhausting, but well worth it! The company also does a background and drug test after you're offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • There were a lot of questions about work experiences that, as a new graduate, I just hadn't really had. For example, "name a time someone took credit for something you did and described how you handled it."   View Answer
    • "What is your 5 year plan?" Even though I knew this is a standard interview question, I didn't prepare a good answer for it, and everyone I interviewed with asked it!   Answer Question
    There isn't really a negotiation phase. I knew what the starting rate for my position was from the phone interview and how raises would be earned.

Worked for Paychex? Contribute to the Community!