Paychex

Updated Jun 11, 2014

Average Difficulty
41 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Overland Park, KS

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Paychex in November 2010.

Interview Details – Interview consisted of a phone interview, skills test, in house interview, personality test and another in-house interview

Payroll Specialist

The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Paychex in January 2010.

Interview Details – The hiring process is very exhausting. My interview process only took about 22 days to complete prior to being offered a position. Since we have hired 2 people. Each of those took between a month and two months to complete. If you are interested in a position at Paychex, expect the interview process to be very detailed and lengthy.

Interview Question – When dealing with an upset client, what tools and or resourses do you use to calm the client down?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. The package offered and wage was the only offer.

Payroll Specialist

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Paychex in November 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online and received an email with a skills test, took it that night and received another email to set up the first interview, which would be a phone interview. Did the phone interview and set up a face to face for the next day. Went to the face to face and the interviews were as follows: First interview was a panel interview, with 5 supervisors. Then a personality test, then sat with a payroll specialist for 30 mins to see what the job was like, then an interview with the dept. manager, an interview with the branch manager, and finally a tour with the dept. manager (was supposed to be the branch manager, but they had a meeting to go to). This was all on a Friday, and I was told just before I left that they don't offer jobs on Friday's because then you only have 24 hours to do the drug test, and it might not be possible, so I would get a call on Monday letting me know if I got the job. Got a call Monday morning, took my drug test, and started work the following Monday.

The recruiter was fantastic and very helpful. All the supervisors and managers were friendly and easy to talk to. Definitely dress professionally. They don't allow tattoos and piercings in the Dress Code, so I had mine covered and removed the balls of my eyebrow ring. Be enthusiastic and friendly, especially when applying for payroll specialist. They want someone who they think will be able to build a good relationship with their clients. Customer service is key here, and you will have your own set of clients, maybe for years. If you like the idea of having "regulars", which I do, this is for you. The office was professional and clean, but didn't have a tense feeling or overly serious atmosphere to it. Right off the bat, I knew I wanted to get this job.

Irving, TX

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Paychex in September 2011.

Interview Details – Process consisted of submitting application.. Got a response back about a week later thru email with a link to complete a online test with 16 questions and 7 minutes to complete the test.. Afterwards, I received a phone call to setup a phone interview which last about 15 minutes... After phone interview, I went to face to face interview. First interview was with (2) floor managers, which I feel went very well. After the first interview I was offered to sit with someone that works in the same department and shown the desk that I would be sitting at if offered the position. That lasted about (30) minutes. Unexpectedly the floor manager came out the clear to get me from the desk to come in for a panel interview that consisted of (1) HR Rep (1) floor Mgr(1) Training Mgr.. I was asked personality questions.. And a few questions about my precious jobs... This process was about (15) minutes.. Afterwards I was told I would here something back within a few days.. This was on a Thursday.. So I'm not expecting to hear anything back until sometime next week.. I will post with the turn outs.. I was told that if I receive a call I will have one last interview with the Hiring Mgr who would decide if hired or not...

Was advised that if hired.. There will be (3) weeks of on the job training.. Then afterwards (2) weeks of training in Rochester NY all expense paid training...

Pay is lower then expected - it's a downgrade from my current pay at my current employer.. But I'm pursuing my degree in Hr Management and am very excited to have an opportunity to work within this field.

Columbus, OH

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Paychex in September 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online and then received a phone call from someone at their headquarters who asked me some basic questions and then emailed me a skills test which I took online. I got a call back saying I passed the test and said she would have someone from the Columbus office contact me for an interview, which she did. So I went to one interview in person where I was interviewed by two supervisors. I received a call about a week later to come back for another interview where I took a personality test, sat in with a payroll specialist and observed her working for about half an hour. I was then interviewed a second time in person by two different managers and finally interviewed one on one by the branch manager. I felt that the interviews went well, I know at the final one on one interview I got a little nervous because the person interviewing me was very serious and intimidating. I received an email about a week later saying they were not going to offer me a job. I'm not sure why I didn't make the cut.

Interview Question – Why should I hire you?   Answer Question

Fair Lawn, NJ

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Paychex in June 2012.

Interview Details – I used my friend that works there as a referral. I applied for the job online the beginning of June. I received a call from a very nice recruiter two weeks later. She interviewed me over the phone about my job history then she sent me a link to do a logic test and problem solving test. The next day she called me to schedule a 1:1 interview with a dept. manager. He asked me behavioral questions and gave me a personality test. Two days later I received a call from the recruiter to schedule the secound interview. I met with two supervisors that asked questions regarding my past experiences (multitasking, co-worker issues, organizational skills,etc). After I interviewed with them the head department manager asked me the same questions regarding work ethic. She advised me that I would receive a call no later next Wednesday which was a week away because the hiring manager was on vacation. I received a call from the recruiter on Monday telling me I got the job...The whole process took about 2-3 weeks but the recruiter was very nice and sweet.

Interview Questions

• If your previous co-workers were here, what would they say about you?   View Answer
  • Are you good at working in a team?   View Answer
  • Is there anyone you just could not work with?   View Answer
  • Tell me a suggestion you have made that was implemented.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation ..Set pay $15.00

Columbus, OH

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Paychex.

Interview Details – I applied online through my university's career service. I was called for a phone interview, then asked to take an online skill test. The skill test was focused on math and reasoning skills. Then there was a face-to-face interview with 2 supervisors and personality assessment. My second interview included more supervisors as well as the upper management for the branch. In all, I interviewed with 7 or 8 people. I also did about half an hour of job-shadowing to see the position I was applying for in action. Everyone was very kind and friendly. Interviewing is extensive and exhausting, but well worth it! The company also does a background and drug test after you're offered the position.

Interview Questions

• There were a lot of questions about work experiences that, as a new graduate, I just hadn't really had. For example, "name a time someone took credit for something you did and described how you handled it."   View Answer
  • "What is your 5 year plan?" Even though I knew this is a standard interview question, I didn't prepare a good answer for it, and everyone I interviewed with asked it!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There isn't really a negotiation phase. I knew what the starting rate for my position was from the phone interview and how raises would be earned.

Piscataway, NJ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Paychex.

Interview Details – I received a phone call with a few basic questions, set up an interview. In person interview was with 2 supervisors. Very comfortable, felt great. Shadowed a payroll specialist for 30 minutes. Again very nice, easy going, love their job. Got a call for a second interview next day! Went on the second inter. the following week. 1 supervisor, took 10 minutes of repeat questions. 1 week went by before I sent a follow up email that I didn't get the job.
Piscataway, NJ

Interview Question – "Do have any questions for us?"
they must have asked me this 3 times and were really interested in me interviewing them.
  View Answer

Tampa, FL

I applied online - interviewed at Paychex in June 2009.

Interview Details – Applied for position found in newspaper ad and was called within 3 days to interview for the position. Recruiter responded and we set up an initial phone interview which lead to an in person interview. Recruiter called within 2 days to let me know that she didn't like me for that position but wanted me to interview for another position which paid more money. Came in later during that same week to interview for the position with two supervisors of the department and was called within that hour with the job offer. What normally happens is after the recruiter phone interview and in person interview (most times its just a phone screening), you interview with a panel of supervisors (2-4 people) then you're set up for another interview with the branch manager for the final interview but I bypassed that step because they needed someone immediately and the managers had been in a conference that entire week. So there is a set of 3 interviews (phone, panel, branch manager) you will be asked to complete a personality and math test in the initial stages which is done for every position prior to your panel interview as well. Most questions are situational questions i.e. how would you handle an angry customer? What did you do the last time you had a client screaming at you? All of which are relevant because it happens in this place all the time.

Interview Question – What are items about yourself that you should work on?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The salary is set and pretty final (also low). Recommended two friends who were made offers but the salary was non negotiable.

Payroll Specialist

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Paychex.

Interview Details – I got lucky. When I applied they were desperate to fill the position before the last training session of the year, and they only had 3 weeks left. So instead of months of interviews and waiting, I did all my interviews in one day and was technically offered the job on the spot. (Interviews were on Friday, they don't do offers on Fridays because you only have 24 hours to do your drug test once you've received an offer, so they called me Monday morning.)

Usually it's the initial interview, then an interview with all or most of the supervisors. You are then placed with some one in the role you are applying for to watch them work and ask them questions for 15-30 mins. Then an interview with the manager of that department and lastly an interview with the branch manager.

Once hired most positions require you to go to Rochester, NY for a week or two for training.

Interview Question – Can't recall specific questions, but mostly for me the ones that ask you to point out your flaws and such.   Answer Question

Worked for Paychex? Contribute to the Community!