Paychex

Paychex Sales Consultant Interview Questions & Reviews

Average Difficulty
8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

New York, NY

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Paychex in September 2010.

Interview Details – 8 steps including mock presentations and group interview with the sales team

Interview Questions

New York, NY

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Paychex in February 2012.

Interview Details – Was typical...nothing special. Baseline knowledge assessment, interview with hiring manager, return visit for personality test and feedback. Manager was friendly and full of energy...seem to love his job and the company

Interview Question – Why should we hire you?   View Answer

Sales Consultant

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Paychex in January 2012.

Interview Details – process began with recruiter calling me and doing initial interview over the phone. You have to then fill out a career history form. It's purpose is to ensure you are willing to provide names of your past and present supervisors and your wllingness to grant permission to contact them. Then you are presented with a math test geared for someone who just graduated college. There are 50 questions you must answer 16 correctly or you are out. Initial interview with stuffy manager. Second interview with another manager which is geared towards ensuring you are compatible and they go through your resume and ask how you sell today and what your sales cycle is. Personality test , then go on to meet a district manager and do role plays with both managers. They are looking for candidates that can do one call closes. It didn't seem like they were interested in a consulative sales approach for customers. My impression is that they are interested in hiring younger candidates for their sales positions.

Interview Question – How would you convince a prospect they would need Paychex's services which are at a premium cost?   Answer Question

Sales Consultant

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Paychex in February 2010.

Interview Details – First is a phone interview then if you pass a face to face interview is set up with a manager. Before you meet with the manager they give you a math test that is very hard. If the first manager likes you they have you interview with the other managers in the office. then you are given a personality test that takes around an hour. Then if they like the results you meet with the regional manager. Got the feeling they want you to beg to work for them. If you are not interested in the position you would not go through their interview process for a entry level sales job

Interview Question – why would you leave your job without a new one   View Answer

Sales Consultant

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Paychex in March 2010.

Interview Details – First 1:1 interview was very casual and easy. Caliper and math tests were administered. Both tests were easy but Caliper was extremely long. Group interview was the hardest interview I have ever had. Notified me of my "hire with reservations" score on the Caliper test. Heard from the grapevine (current employee) that I was going to be offer the position, but didn't receive the offer until I called the manager.

Interview Question – Tell me your sales philosophy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation... asked for higher base since my previous base was 2X, but was told higher potential with commissions... hmmm... expense (mileage, phone) was a bit higher than standard, however, territory was switched after training, which now makes expense allowance not covering mileage.

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Paychex in December 2008.

Interview Details – contacted by recruiter, phone interview with company, invited to a personal interview at office, took a skills test, went on a ride along, Seems likea great comapny but I spoke with a friend who works for a competitor and decided that it wasn't a good match

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Paychex?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Looking for something better

Sales Consultant

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Paychex in January 2010.

Interview Details – phone interview with recruiter, then you will meet with the managers in the office, and they will call you back weeks later to meet with them again and give you the offer if they have an opening.

Interview Question – Why do you want to be in sales?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Not enough money

Olathe, KS

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Paychex.

Interview Details – The interview process can take anywhere from 1-3 months. They are testing the applicant's ability to close the deal. If you are applying, make sure to be ethically and kindly aggressive. Don't let them tell you no and get ready for objection handling. You'll work with a recruiter, then you'll interview with the District Manager and finally you'll meet with the Regional Manager (if available). Make sure you ask lots of questions as well, that's a big deal in their process.

Interview Question – How did you handle time in your professional career when you asked for something and were told "no"?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They offered and I accepted. No negotiations were necessary.

Worked for Paychex? Contribute to the Community!