Paychex

Average Difficulty
54 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Representative

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Paychex.

Interview Details – After being contacted by a recruiter, I did a phone interview with her, then some online tests. One was the basic personality test, the other was more in-depth about time management. Then we did a phone interview with the hiring manager and a drug test. Next I did a ride-along with a current sales rep and we did one final interview with the hiring manager and her manager. The hiring decision was made a few days later.

Interview Question – What is the hardest business decision you've ever made?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation to base salary, but there were additional stipends for gas and other expenses.

Interviewed at Paychex

Interview Details – They called me because someone emailed them about me. Had me take an online assessment. Called and now I have an upcoming face-to-face interview! So far so good!

Interview Question – Why Paychex? Be sure you know all about the company!   Answer Question

Sales Representative

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Paychex.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted by a corporate recruiter. I talked with her briefly about my career plans and she told me the next step in the process was to complete an online sales assessment which was around 180 questions. After I followed up I was told that I would be interviewed on site. I set up a time with the recruiter and was excited to hear more about the opportunity they posted online.

The hiring manager showed up to the interview ten minutes late, then talked to me briefly about my experience. Then shared with me that they were overstaffed at the time and didn't have a position open and that I didn't meet their minimum requirements anyway.

I am still not sure why anybody would pre-screen a candidate for a position they didn't have, determine that they weren't qualified, and waste everybody's time by bringing them in for an interview. The job sounded like it would be great but I can't imagine working for a company that is this unprofessional.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Paychex.

Interview Details – Very difficult interview process. They are very selective on who they choose to be apart of their team. The managers and field reps loved everything that Paychex had to offer which made me want to accept the offer. I did go through five interviews! There is unlimited potential in this role and they want to promote you!

Interview Question – None pretty personal questions   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Sales Representative

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Paychex.

Interview Details – The process started out with an extremely nice recruiter who screens you and passes you along to a district manager. The district manager asks very basic questions and does most of the talking which can be frustrating because you feel as though they aren't going to learn much about you if they do all of the talking. They tell you that the process will go quickly, but you then must do a field ride along with someone which is a job shadow for a day. This is interesting and teaches you a lot about what you'd be doing on the job. I didn't like it personally because I felt like this was Paychex' way of getting the person you shadow to ask you questions that they aren't allowed to ask in interviews. After the ride along, you'd meet with the zone manager. The zone manager again will do most of the talking, explaining things, asking if you have questions for them, but doesn't really ask many questions to get to know who YOU are and what you're capable of delivering. Frustrating. If you try to follow up with either manager you will never get a response, you must follow up through the recruiter who also will not get answers from the managers. My experience ended with the zone manager saying they'd make a decision within 24 hours, then not hearing back for 6 days.

Interview Question – They really don't ask you anything out of the ordinary. They do most of the talking.   Answer Question

San Bernardino, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Paychex.

Interview Details – It was a very lengthy interview process. The management was very thorough because they want to make sure you will be a good fit for the team. During the process you get to ride along with a current sales representative to see if the job is what you expect it to be. I realized what a professional and caring company Paychex was and took the position when it was offered.

Interview Question – I really do not remember any out of the ordinary questions. Just many interview with different managers.   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Paychex in July 2009.

Interview Details – Long process, 7 interviews with managers asking entry level sales questions

Negotiation Details – Not much, company is definitely at the low end of the salary range and is ok losing talent to better paying companies

Very Easy Interview

Kennesaw, GA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Paychex in May 2013.

Interview Details – Contacted me via phone after finding my resume on LinkedIn. Went through phone interview and wanted me to come in for a face to face with a pre-filled application. Had to take off work for the interview, and the interviewer gave the impression that I was wasting her time. Felt like it was over before it started. Didn't even ask for my application, had to remind her that I had it. Total waste of time, and after speaking with a few people that have worked/interviewed with them said they had a similar experience. Very unprofessional to ask people to take time off work to interview and not take the time serious.

Interview Question – None! she barely asked anything. Her only question was about my current employer, not me.   View Answer

Sales Representative

Interview Details – Went well.... took about 2 months to get through the process and receive the "offer letter."

Negotiation Details – No

Glendale, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Paychex in October 2012.

Interview Details – Paychex hiring process is very extensive and can be cumbersome however it does give you insight into the amount of effort placed into there hiring process. They recently switched the testing method to Top Grading. This method requires about 4 interviews and testing, once you are hired you are sent to rochester for training. You will then need to pass a Job dependent test in order to have a job. I would recommend to be proactive and plan for a 1-2 month hiring process.

Interview Question – They generally dont ask alot of very difficult questions however they do ask a lot. They ask you to paiint them a snapshot of your current career and how you got there. They will ask questions that indicate to them Why you make the decisions that you do. There were was not one question that stood out to me, sorry that I can't be more specific.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. Salary vary from department and city.

Worked for Paychex? Contribute to the Community!