Paychex

Updated Jun 9, 2014

Average Difficulty
54 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Orlando, FL

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Paychex in May 2010.

Interview Details – Absolutely THE WORST interview process I have ever experienced!!. First I was taken into a room to take a math test. The test consisted of 50 questions and it was timed for 16 mins. (that wasn't as bad because I knew about the test going in). Of course when you're done, you have no idea of how well you did or not because they don't share the results with you. Afterwards, I was interviewed by a panel of 3 managers. I am used to getting the question, " tell us about yourself"...These guys took it to a new level..One mgr asked me to tell them my life's story from birth until now (i kid u not). Another mgr interrupted by saying that would be too far back and to talk about my life from high school and go forward. I was asked very personal questions that NOTHING to do with the job. They basically picked apart and gave opinions on MY life. It was highly unprofessional and would never consider working there if asked to. When I finally got to ask a question, they were very short with me and basically concluded by saying that old thanks for coming. I guess my life was not interesting enough and didn't fit into their mold. The initial HR rep with whom I spoke with was awesome but the panel interview definitely was a joke. Anyone interviewing there should definitely be prepared to dissect your life for the benefit of applying for a job.

Interview Questions

• I know you mentioned that you moved away about 20 yrs ago for personal reasons, but please tell us why you moved away and why you moved back?   Answer Question
  • Tell us about your life from high school going forward that brought you to us today?   Answer Question

Phoenix, AZ

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Paychex in April 2009.

Interview Details – Math test, personality test, interview with hiring manager, field ride, interview with regional manager

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – not really applicable everyone normally got the same starting salary based on position

Sales Representative

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Paychex in October 2010.

Interview Details – Do not apply for employment with Paychex unless you have nothing but time on your hands and you don't mind it being wasted. The process starts innocent enough with an online application and a phone recrutier calling you, but after that, Paychex is in a world of its own. The phone recruiter will send you a Microsoft Word document called a "Career History Form". This is a detailed timeline of your life from high school to today that includes classes you took, groups you belong(ed) to and interests you have. From here, you will fill this form out and send it back to the recrutier so they can then interview you on everything you just filled out. If you "pass" this part of the exam your information will be forwarded onto a district manager.

I arrived to the interview with a District Manager where I was immediately presented with a math skills test. The important thing to know about this test is that it is 50 questions long and you are only given 16 minuted to take the exam. The strategy is to do every easy/quick problem you can find and do as many of the questions as you can (it doesn't matter if you leave questions blank). After this, the DM will interview you and ask you again about your life from high school until today. They will ask you why you made certain decisions in your life and why you came to those decisions.

If you get past the DM, you will be given yet another test. This is a Caliper test that measures logical reasoning as well as your personality. The test is 150 questions, but is untimed.

If you get past this exam you will then have to meet with another DM in another office outside of the one in which you are applying (for me roughly 20 miles away). More of the same questions that the first DM asked you and I'm not quite sure why they have this process. Again, they will ask you about your life since high school and how you got to where you are today.

Still with me? Okay because here's where the fun starts. Paychex asks that you shadow a current sales representative for an entire 8am-5pm day. You will go on End User Presentations, meet with CPA's, meet with personal bankers and meet with clients. From here, the DM you originally met with will follow up with the sales rep you rode with and ask them if they feel you would be a good fit for the role.

Finally, my last interview was with a Zone Manager that Paychex asked that I drive 90 miles, EACH WAY, to meet with. The Zone Manager asks you how you like the company so far, asks you to define certain words and how they would relate to the job and asks about why they should hire you over anyone else.

At the end of my interview with the Zone Manager, I asked if I had earned his recommendation for the sales representative position, which he dodged by answering "You have provided me with the information I need to form a decision." The Zone Manager then LIED to my face by saying that the original DM would have the final say in if I was hired or not and would call me with his decision. I thought I was a lock for the position considering the DM told me, and I quote "I would hire you on the spot if I could. Unfortunately, there are more steps in the process so I can't."

Two days later I received a call from the original phone recruiter telling me that I did not earn the recommendation of the Zone Manager and therefore would not be offered the position. I tried asking why this was and Paychex could not even provide me with a reason why. You would think that after putting in a month of your time, driving hours to meet with various managers, taking multiple exams and giving an entire day of your time for a field ride you would be at least given a reason why they didn't offer you the position. But no. Not at Paychex. Spineless corporate America at its finest!

Bottom line: Don't interview here. They ask for too much of your time, resourses and patience all to be spineless and cowardly at the end.

Interview Question – Tell me about your life since high school.   Answer Question

Rochester, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Paychex in June 2012.

Interview Details – I applied on the website, was called for an interview 2 weeks later, met with a panel of 8 people...everyone was very nice and asked the same questions. I was called back to another interview and met with 2 more individuals..who talked more in depth about the position. I was contacted a little over a month later for another interview after I left several messages. This next interview i met with 3 more people who yet again asked the same questions. Still unsure what the next step is

North Reading, MA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Paychex in May 2010.

Interview Details – completed a phone interview that went fairly well, felt comfortable going in for the face to face interview, but the interviewer centered most of his questions on what my father's line of work was and other questions that would help him to pick up leads for himself,

Interview Question – rank these in order of importance, close deal, ask for business, make appointment, presentation   View Answer

San Bruno, CA

The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Paychex in March 2010.

Interview Details – This was a grueling, expensive interview process. I drove over an hour each way for interviews, the interviewers kept me waiting, I paid parking and bridge tolls and the last manager I interviewed with was inappropriate.

Reason for Declining – I wouldn't work there under any circumstances

Sales Representative

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Paychex in February 2010.

Interview Details – A friend of mine called me and asked if I would want to apply. He is the District Sales Manager. I have gone through all the interviews, 3 total, a day long field ride along, and taken the 2 test. Final interview was today and the DSM said I should (fingers crossed) have an offer in writing tomorrow.

While interviewing you want to ask a lot of questions.

Interview Question – Nothing real hard, just standard stuff, like tell me about yourself starting at birth. What would you do to overcome a certain problem.   Answer Question

Sales Representative

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Paychex in January 2008.

Interview Details – Interviewed with DSM, took math test, took caliper test, SPQ Gold test, Interviewed with Zone Manager, had a ride along--then received job offer.

Sales Representative

The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Paychex in May 2009.

Interview Details – Phone Interview
Face to Face with Sales Manager
Math Skill Test (50 Questions, Fill in the Blank, Word Problems)
Personality/Sales Skills Test (Approx 2 hours long)
Ride Along with Sales Representative
Face to Face with Regional Sales Manager & Local Sales Manager
Provide a Business Plan
Background Check
Drug Test

Interview Question – What was your biggest disappointment in your sales career?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Be very professional ALWAYS. Be prepared. Study the math skills study guide. Prepare for situational questions (ie "what would you do in this situation" "what is your weakest quality") Stress working hard because this is a business development position. Utilize reps in ride along. Have good references. Brad book of success.

Denver, CO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Paychex in January 2009.

Interview Details – have some sales experience but not enough to convince them to hire me over the other guy i guess. standard outside sales program.

Interview Question – What were the three most common objections you encountered in your previous sales job?   Answer Question

Worked for Paychex? Contribute to the Community!