Paycom Interview Questions

Updated Aug 4, 2015

3.6

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Denver, CO) in October 2014.

Interview

The interview process was very comprehensive- I interviewed with several different managers (on the phone, in person, and via webcam) and met the team and went on a ride-along appointment with another sales representative. I got a good idea of the company culture through the interview process, and by the time I was hired I felt that I understood what my role would be like. All the managers and employees were very helpful and welcoming throughout the process.

Interview Questions

• What are your short term and long term financial and professional goals?   Answer Question
    • What is the hardest thing you have ever had to overcome?   1 Answer

B2B Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Paycom (Baltimore, MD) in January 2015.

Interview

The interview process for me was a quick one. The turnaround from first interview to job offer was just under a week. There was something that struck me as odd and almost cultish about the organization. I felt as though I was being dirty rushed through the process (was sent a gift card after I declined the position to 'thank me for my time'). They definitely do a good job of making you feel like you're one of a million that have made it to a certain stage in the interview process and promising you the world if you give your life to them (promise a 20-something the potential of making $200K and I'm sure many bite at the chance). The recruiter I worked with practically scripted what I should say, which I found odd and a little bit concerning. There's tons of sales jobs out there and I can see why this is alluring to some, but would say approach the company with caution. If you're looking to establish your career without moving cross-country, this probably isn't for you. Take a look on LinkedIn - pretty much no sales rep that has moved up within the company has stayed in one location for an extended period of time.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Jul 31, 2015 – Representative

We pride ourselves on having a quick turnaround time, which is a testament to your sales abilities. Our interview process is tough, and when a candidate meets our criteria we want to get them onboard ... More

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Charlotte, NC) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process was 4 steps: A phone call with the recruiter, in-person interview with the Manager for the specific office location that you are applying for, a phone canvassing session and a final interview with the Regional Manager. The first 2 interviews were very conversational but still really dug deep to understand why I wanted to work there and how I would be an asset to the team, as well as personal goals and drives. The 3rd interview was very unique and I had never done anything similar in the past when interviewing for sales positions. Phone canvassing allowed me to see what I would be doing on the job and gives you an honest view of whether or not you're going to be up for being in a "hunter" role. You will be on the phones talking with prospects and will be responsible for setting 3 appointments to meet with them (you will not go on those unless you are offered the job). The reps in the office helped to give advice and a simple talk tract to use. Again, this was a great way for me to see if this was something that I was interested in doing for the next few years. There is music playing in the background and it's actually really fun to see how many appointments you can set, along with the other reps. The final interview was via webcam and again was very conversational.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Paycom (Houston, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

It was certainly intense and clear that Paycom is very specific about the type of people they hire. Must be very confident, professional, and have a great personality. Multiple rounds of interviews with the office manager and regional manager. Toughest part is the phone canvassing session in which you will need to set 3 appointments for other reps in a four hour period. Can definitely be accomplished, but will certainly test your skills on the phone and how you act under pressure. This is fun though because all the reps in the office are doing the same thing as you and supporting you the whole time. Just go in with confidence!

Interview Questions

• Be ready to talk about your experiences and what has prepared you for a career in sales. They are very interested in why you answer questions a certain way as well, so know your answers well. They are also looking for you to close them in the interview. Never leave without setting up a clear next step or they may question your ability to close a sale.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Oklahoma City, OK) in December 2014.

Interview

I applied for the position through a recruiter who put me in contact with my AWESOME Paycom recruiter, Ali. Ali reached out to me and completely prepared me for the interview with the sales office manager. I met with him and left really wanting to work for Paycom. After meeting with him Ali called and let me know I made it to the next round of interviews. I did a webcam interview with the Regional Manager. Really enjoyed speaking with her and it was a really great interview. After that, I had to do the phone portion then I was moved on to our CSO, Jeff York. It was great interviewing with someone who had built the company and I knew then they valued their employees.

Interview Questions

• What can you bring to our sales office that we don't already have?   Answer Question

Jul 27, 2015 – Representative

Thank you for sharing your interview experience with others!

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Saint Louis, MO) in July 2013.

Interview

The interview process was certainly intense. You are going up against a lot of qualified individuals so I knew I had to stand out. I got moved through the process pretty quickly. My favorite part was being able to meet the team. The positive energy and knowledge was unlike anything I had ever seen.

Interview Questions

• Q1: What makes you remarkable? Q2: Why do you want to work at Paycom? Q3: What was the last book you read? Q4: What makes you better than anyone else? Q5: When was the last time you failed? Describe the experience and how you delt with it.   1 Answer

Jul 27, 2015 – Representative

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience!

Data Entry Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Oklahoma City, OK) in July 2015.

Interview

After going through the lengthy application, interview, and assessment process I was denied a job due to my credit. This was AFTER I had received the job offer and gleefully welcomed to the company wholeheartedly by at least 2 employees. I was asked to submit an explanation of negative items on my credit, most of which were MEDICAL in nature. I did comply but after the document I prepared was received, I received a call rescinding my job offer. I had already lined up child care and turned down other opportunities. I had asked about the credit criteria before I went to the interview, and every manager I spoke with afterward told me that I had merely "perceived" that I had a job even though I had signed documents regarding the company's policy on attendance and had been given an actual start date, and had lined up childcare for my son. I was told that the amount of medical debt I had was excessive. Yes, I said that correctly, that I was denied a job due to medical debt. I explained that most of the debt wasn't even legitimate, and since it had been requested of me to submit an explanation of the things that were affecting my credit negatively I was owed due diligence to at least review the document I sent. Thankfully, I didn't go into to much more personal information. Since I have had this experience I've read and heard about others having similar experiences. I was told by someone who is a recruiter for a staffing agency in this city that Paycom has a bad reputation for yanking prospective employees around and that if your credit isn't perfect you won't get a job there or you will have an offer rescinded as mine was. I was HONEST about my credit having negative items and was told that the only thigns that would affect my chances of being hired was if I had a foreclosure or bankruptcy. Well, I don't have those things and honestly, I laughed when I saw that the company was taking issue with, being that it was mostly medical. My advice to anyone who is interested in working with this company is to make sure you have perfect credit before beginning the lengthy and time consuming application, assessment, and interview process. I would hate for anyone else to go through what I have. I would have been working today but now I have to completely start my job search over since I've turned down other prospective employers. I do understand that my formal employment was contingent upon the background check, but what this company has done, given that it helps other (and some major) companies screen employees is not right or ethical. There is no reason I can think of to hold someone's medical debt against them other than that company does not want to take on the employee under their insurance. I feel t his sets a dangers precedence and no one should be treated the way that I have been treated. I have been embarrassed and lost a lot of time to this company. If at any point, my credit was an issue (let's forget the fact that I was basically told the medical debt was excessive) the HR representatives and manager should have stopped the process then and not asked me to provide more personal information. I feel this company may be data mining and used my application and what happened in my case as research to further help themselves with their business since they are in the business of streamlining HR processes for other companies.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to describe the work that I had done in other positions.   1 Answer

Jul 27, 2015 – Representative

Thank you for taking the time to share. We always strive to be respectful and conscientious of our applicants time. We have a thorough screening process that includes a testing phase, which – on ... More

Payroll Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at Paycom in February 2011.

Interview

The interview process was short and painless. Went through staffing agency and had mix up with if I was hired or not and came in on wrong start date. I interviewed with 2 separate people. Both were very friendly.

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Paycom (Oklahoma City, OK) in January 2015.

Interview

Very easy process! Phone interview, in person interview and shadowing. They made sure to go into detail about their expectations, job requirements and give me a tour. I felt very welcome even before joining the team. Paycom is very good about making sure it a good fit for both parties. They want people to join their team who want to be here.

New Client Setup Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Paycom (Oklahoma City, OK) in February 2014.

Interview

Testing was done on site, interview and final interview completed back to back. Offer was contingent on background and drug screening. Recruiter kept me involved in each step of the process. Once I was cleared I recieved confirmation and was given my start date. This was a very smooth process.