Paycom

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Average Difficulty
148 candidate interviews

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Paycom in April 2013.

Interview Details – Interview process is extremely thorough, but well worth it for the caliber of job duties and people you'll be working around. Paycom hires some outstanding individuals and they have the ability to do so because the rewards are great. There were approximately 6 steps in the process: An initial phone screen with a recruiter, an interview with the hiring manager, a second interview with a regional manager, a ride-along with your potential team, a phone-canvassing session in which you must demonstrate that you can successfully set three appointments, and then a final interview with a C-Level exec.

The process is very intense, and you may move forward in the process to the next level in the same day if you do well. Overall the process moves very quickly. The recruiter I had, Kathryn, was amazing, and did an excellent job of preparing me for each and every step.

Overall this was a great interview process!

Interview Question – I came in under an unusual career change for this position, so my most difficult questions came out of how I might have prepared myself for the position, having not come from a sales background. Be ready for this. They want to make sure you have prepared well in your time leading up to the possibility of stepping into a very challenging position.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Tulsa, OK

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Paycom in October 2010.

Interview Details – The absolute worst experience in my life. The HR Representative was professional and polite. Met with the Manager and VP next. The rudest most disrespectful human beings on the planet. They don't care about you or hearing what you have to say. I showed up at 8:15 for a 8:30 interview. I was not seen until 9:30. Lasted less then 5 minutes. When I asked a question they would not respond. I hope people read this before wasting their time. It is scary to think of working for this awful company.

Interview Question – None asked   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Rude Management

Washington, DC

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Paycom in June 2011.

Interview Details – If you're applying to this position, you must know, you need to be exactly the type of person they're looking for in ordered to be hired.....goal oriented, answering the questions "right", and prepared for a hard interview process. I was first contacted by a corporate recruiter to set my up my first round interview with the sales manager. The manager forgot to call me on 2 different occasions, and finally after the 3rd rescheduled interview on his behalf, we had a short 15 minute phone conversation. He asked me things like "are you an only child? What does your dad do for a living?" Thought it was weird....so didn't hear back until 2 weeks later, and the recruiter called and said "the manager really liked you and wants a1:1 interview. So I went up to DC for our 1:1. They failed to give me the Paycom pre-phone canvassing paperwork so instead of phone canvassing, which i was supposed to do, the manager asked me, again, very personal questions and tried to make a quick judgement because I was an only child from a divorced family- after talking with my HR professional at my law firm, she said you're not allowed to do that.... anyways, he basically said I'm not suited for the position but still made me wait 2 more hours for a web conference with the regional sales manager. That was awkward. He was very quick to get me out of there- BIG HINT- if they're quick to get you out of there and the say " Thanks for taking this time with us"- you're not getting the job. Sure enough, got the rejection email two days later. Great money, great company to work for, but it's really hard to get the job.

Interview Questions

Phoenix, AZ

I interviewed at Paycom in April 2012.

Interview Details – This begins with a first round screening of the office manager. Then you will cold call for them for 4 hours if the manager likes you. If you set about 3 appointments, they will let you interview with the Chief Operator of Sales. From there, if you pass that interview, you will have a bunch of background checks run on you.

Interview Question – What are some of your weaknesses?   Answer Question

Saint Louis, MO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Paycom in July 2012.

Interview Details – long and drawn out

Interview Question – What are you going to do if not hired here. I dont understand why that woudh matter to you   View Answer

Reason for Declining – The atmosphere of the office is terrible, very few people does not seem promising. Very high turnover in this company

Anonymous Interview

Los Angeles, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Paycom in January 2012.

Interview Details – Ok don't come to this interview without prior knowledge of the company operations...be prepared for intensive questioning and dress professional...always remember to close the interview at the end...if you do not you will not be hired point blank....if you know you won't pass a background check don't even go to the interview because they want a perfectly clean record

Interview Questions

B2B Sales Representative Interview

B2B Sales Representative

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Paycom in October 2013.

Interview Details – First of all you get a dedicated recruiter who truly cares about you and getting you to the next step; Kelsey was a rock star! Once you passed the recruiters initial questions there were 3 additional interviews, along with a phone canvassing session. Kelsey called me between each phase, answered all the questions I could possibly think of and would prepare me in any way possible. The 3 interviews were broken down by Manager, Regional and Chief Sales Officer. Each interviewer had their own style of questioning but answered all the questions I had, honestly! Also during this process it is a two way street, they are interviewing you but you are also interviewing them. Every person I met with did a fantastic job of being open and honest about the position and what to expect.

Interview Question – Why can't you fail?   Answer Question

Outside Sales Consultant Interview

Outside Sales Consultant
Philadelphia, PA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Paycom in February 2014.

Interview Details – Interview went pretty well, I had thought. The interviewer did seem to rush through the questions a little bit, and maybe that was because she made her mind up pretty hastily. I mentioned that I wanted to work in order to make money and be able to do things, and I think she took my use of the phrase "work/life balance" to mean that I wanted a ton of vacation time. If I were to guess, that misunderstanding would be why I didn't get a second interview.

Interview Question – Probably when she asked me if I was prepared to work more than forty hours a week, just because I would have thought that my previous answers made it clear that I was.   View Answer

Outside Sales Consultant Interview

Outside Sales Consultant
Vienna, VA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Paycom in August 2012.

Interview Details – I got there and they were running late in interviews i had to wait 30 minutes. My second interview was skype and was interrupted by a phone call.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when someone gave you tough feedback what did you do and how did you handle it?

Tell me about a time you persuaded someone to do what you wanted and how did you do that?
  Answer Question

Phoenix, AZ

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Paycom in February 2012.

Interview Details – Received a call from a recruiter who looked at my resume and asked me if I was interested in the job. Went in for the first interview with the Sales Manager. Interview went well, lots of questions surrounding sales and the motivation behind sales. Make sure you know the STAR format. Went in for another interview with the Regional Sales Manager a week later. Similar questions and very short. I went in a few days later to make some calls (all cold calls), to see if I would like the job. If you have no problem of doing cold calls all day, then this is the job for you. Pay/Training is supposed to be very good!

Interview Question – Describe yourself in three words!   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Making cold calls all day long (to clients who have been called on 100 times already) is not really for me.