Paycom

Updated Oct 12, 2014
Updated Oct 12, 2014

3.3

Sales Executive Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Paycom in December 2013.

Initially you will be contacted by a recruiter or you can do what I did and call the recruiter directly. They look over your resume and they have you apply online. Based on your answers online you will be classified into how interested they are in you. If you are what they are looking for they will have you interview with a local office manager. If that goes well you will interview with a regional. If you pass that they will bring you in for a phone canvassing trial. They give you 4 hours to set 3 appointments cold calling. Just keep calm and don't get stressed or anxious, if you are decent on the phone you shouldn't have any issues. If you pass this phase you will interview with the Chief Sales Officer and he will give his recommendation. If all of this goes well you have to pass a background check that includes DMV driving record, drug screening, felony check and don't lie on your resume because they will check all of that. It's a pretty in depth process but if you get the job you know you a qualified employee and they want to invest in you and watch you unleash your potential.

Interview Questions
    • Are you excited about earning a 50,000 salary fresh out of college? Would you be happy earning 50,000 your first year? A lot of our reps here at Paycom make over 100,000 their first year and the following years they make 300,000 and above. If you're content making 50,000 a year how do we know you will have the ambition and drive to work hard enough to make 100,00 and beyond?   View Answer
    The salary was already stated so i didn't negotiate salary.

Human Resources Generalist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Paycom.

The hiring and interview process was seamless and a great insight to company culture and expectations. The process was difficult only leaving the best of the best.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part of the process was the multiple in-depth interviews. All questions in general were more difficult that other interviews.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Paycom in April 2014.

A 5 round interview process. Two managers, one regional manager, and one CSO. 3 were in person and two of the interviews were via web chat. Each interview had its own questions ranging from background to how you would be great in sales. The interview process taught me a lot.

Interview Questions
    • How are you better then the last candidate that we just hired right out of college?   Answer Question

Paycom Response

May 12, 2014Representative

We appreciate your candid review and are glad to hear you learned a lot throughout the interview process. Best of luck to you!

Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Paycom in July 2014.

Paycom has a difficult interview process by design. We want a very special person to join our team and service our customers. We also want anyone who is considering joining the team to see first hand the opportunity for what it is - a true B2B Hunter Sales Career. You talk our recruiters, the manager the regional manager our CSO. You interact with the team for a prospecting session, you may even go to lunch or ride along with a member of the team.

Interview Questions
    • Who do you admire most and why?
      If you had a magic wand and could change anything about your current position and manager what would it be?
        View Answer

Human Capital Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Paycom in January 2013.

Tough question, be prepared to feel like a loser or idiot....or both... But hey if you can smile and sell yourself and close on the interview you'll get the job like me (:

$50,000k not bad after college plus commission opportunities

Outside Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Paycom in August 2014.

I want to start off by saying this is an excellent opportunity, if you can get through the interview process. I initially applied to the position but did not hear back right away. I was called about a month afterwards, and the voicemail was their HR Recruiter asking me to call them back. When I did, they pretty much immediately started an interview, asking a few basic questions. They then informed me they were going to schedule me to meet with the Sales Manager. They provided me with the information via phone and email, along with tips and information about the company as well as videos explaining their product. I came in one morning for the interview, about fifteen minutes early, and waited until about fifteen minutes after the original scheduled time. I expected this, as I had already read that they had their sales meeting that morning. The manager, after the meeting, immediately approached me and brought me into the office for the interview, which was about a half hour to fourty five minutes long. Typical interview, hardest question asked why I think I'm different than all of the other people that come in. After closing the interview asking what I needed to do next, and what the next step was, I was granted the chance to come in for a phone canvassing session. I was contacted by the HR Recruiter again, and he gave me the details, and also asked how the interview went. This time around, the email he provided had considerably less information. When I came in for the phone canvassing session, I sat down with all of the current sales reps and they shared information about themselves. Everyone there was very friendly. They also did some role-playing, and had me join in to warm up. They sat me down at a desk and gave me basic instructions, and let me get to it. I was asked to schedule 3 appointments within about a four hour period of time. They provided me with a list of leads to call, and a computer to use if necessary. I was not able to schedule all three appointments, but the Sales Manager indicated that they would look into the potential for me to continue. I was informed via email a few days later that they were moving on without me. POSITIVES: Everyone in the process was very friendly, helpful, and were genuinely interested in providing me with the best opportunity. The opportunity itself is there, as the product they are selling is ACTUALLY something beneficial, and can legitimately help the customers. NEGATIVES: The phone canvassing session may be a test of skill on the phone and ability to adapt, but no one is sitting with you when you're doing the calls, so how can they see if you are adapting, learning, and changing what you're doing? Also, when you only get to voicemails, it isn't possible to meet the goal. There is no point in wasting time leaving voicemails, because you don't know if you're coming back. The other issue is that they provide you with tons of information on Paycom earlier in the process, as well as some basic scripts to help during the phone session, BUT it doesn't help with objections you end up getting. Sales is obviously alot of "No's" before you get a "Maybe" or a "Yes". During the phone cavassing session, I noticed that only one person who worked there (and was trained) scheduled three or more appointments. Everyone else had two, one, or even none and they had already been trained and made knowledgable of the products. Having someone come in for a phone canvassing session MAY show you their potential, but testing someone on phones like that creates some very uncontrollable factors, and isn't a fair measurable test when the ONLY thing observied is the appointments set. That being said, I would like to mention, again, that I enjoyed myself during the process, and while it's unfortunate I did not continue through the process, I was treated very fairly, and very openly. Thank you for the opportunity, Paycom; I appreciate it!

Interview Questions
    • It was not a question, but the situation with the phone canvassing. Be prepared as much as you possibly can.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Paycom.

The interview process is very in depth. It involved being contacted for an initial meet and greet. Then from they might ask for another meeting and ask more in depth about the job. At another point you have to come in a take a typing test and a math type quiz.

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Paycom.

I was contacted by a Paycom recruiter and after speaking with him on the phone, I was set up with a first round interview. This was a webinar with the office manager for my specific location. Very simple and straightforward interview. The second interview was with the regional VP, which was a bit more difficult than the first. After being approved by the VP, I was invited into their office for a 4 hour prospecting session (cold calling and booking appointments). I ended up declining the offer to go in for the prospecting session.

Interview Questions
    • What experiences have set you up for a successful career at Paycom?   Answer Question
    • What have you been doing in the past few months to help you succeed in this role?   Answer Question

I didn't formally get an offer letter, but I ended up declining an offer to go in for the prospecting session. I did this because I received an offer from a different company.

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Paycom.

Interviewing with Paycom was timely and efficient. I spoke to a recruiter by phone, and sent her my resume. She had me apply online, and then I was scheduled to interview with the Sales Manager the next week. From there I interviewed with the Regional Manager. The last step in the interview is the phone canvass session. I think it's great that phone-canvassing is apart of the interview, it gives people a sneak peak at what a job with Paycom would be like.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult was probably phone canvass session just because it was not something I had ever done before. But they prep you, and it's more of a mental test seeing how you are able to adapt and roll with it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Paycom in June 2014.

You have a phone screening, a video interview with a manager, an in-office interview that includes a cold-call prospecting session, an interview with the regional manager, then an interview with the Chief Sales Officer.

I turned down three other job offers and accepted my offer at Paycom. A week and a half later, they call me and tell me my offer is being withdrawn because of a non-criminal underage drinking citation I received in college 7 years ago.

Ignoring that asinine policy in itself--the messed up part is that I had already told my recruiter about the citation on our first phone call two months prior to receiving the offer. Upon speaking to the HR Director I found out the recruiter had LIED to me and very likely lied to her bosses.

Throughout the process I was lied to, made phone calls that went un-returned, and was generally treated unprofessionally. During the interview, they had me lie to prospective clients during the prospecting portion. Paycom's mistake cost me time and money.

This company hires young people and encourages them to make money at all cost. They clearly don't value professional integrity and the lack of experience among their employees became painfully obvious during my situation.

If you're willing to trade your integrity to make money, you'll find a home at Paycom.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were very difficult, but they told me if I treated this job as if I was married to it, I'd be able to make hundreds of thousands of dollars within 2-3 years.   View Answer
    There's no negotiation--it's all fixed.