Paycom

Updated Oct 28, 2014
Updated Oct 28, 2014

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Paycom in June 2014.

You have a phone screening, a video interview with a manager, an in-office interview that includes a cold-call prospecting session, an interview with the regional manager, then an interview with the Chief Sales Officer.

I turned down three other job offers and accepted my offer at Paycom. A week and a half later, they call me and tell me my offer is being withdrawn because of a non-criminal underage drinking citation I received in college 7 years ago.

Ignoring that asinine policy in itself--the messed up part is that I had already told my recruiter about the citation on our first phone call two months prior to receiving the offer. Upon speaking to the HR Director I found out the recruiter had LIED to me and very likely lied to her bosses.

Throughout the process I was lied to, made phone calls that went un-returned, and was generally treated unprofessionally. During the interview, they had me lie to prospective clients during the prospecting portion. Paycom's mistake cost me time and money.

This company hires young people and encourages them to make money at all cost. They clearly don't value professional integrity and the lack of experience among their employees became painfully obvious during my situation.

If you're willing to trade your integrity to make money, you'll find a home at Paycom.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were very difficult, but they told me if I treated this job as if I was married to it, I'd be able to make hundreds of thousands of dollars within 2-3 years.   View Answer
    There's no negotiation--it's all fixed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Paycom in June 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter via linked in. He said they were specifically asked to find candidates from my current plae of employment. After the phone screening with the recruiter the branch manager had me in for an interview. It went well, took about an hour. I felt e really tried to get in my head and made me think about if this job would be the right fit. After that I was contacted a week later by the recruiter and he gave me tips and tricks for a web interview with the regional vp. That went ok, but when they contacted me for a cold calling session I wasn't interested in the position. Still at the same job I started at.

Interview Questions
    • What do you read? Books? Newspapers? Magazines?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Paycom in March 2014.

The interview process was very lengthy, with a phone screening and about an hour and a half long in person interview. After those two, I was called back to do a "phone canvassing session" with the team, which was cold calling from about 9am until 1pm. They provided some background materials, but only tips on how to cold call, not any specific product knowledge. I was expected to set at least four appointments through cold calling, which did not happen. They did compensate me with a Visa gift card for $40 for my time, but it was very difficult to just be thrown to the lions and be expected to produce results equal to the experienced sales staff around me. It was confusing because Paycom advertises their extensive training program, but what's the point of having one if you are expected to be a seasoned sales professional during the interview process? The biggest thing that stuck out for me was, at one point during the company wide phone canvassing session, a woman got up to get a coffee from the break area. Another salesman saw her and criticized her for getting up from her desk during peak phone canvassing hours. With a company culture like that, I knew I did not want to be a part of Paycom.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked where I saw myself after my first year with Paycom, which isn't uncommon. It was the reaction to my response that was a red flag.   View Answer

May 20, 2014Representative

We appreciate your feedback and apologize you felt unprepared for the canvassing session. Once hired, our training curriculum is second to none as each new hire has extensive training that is ... More

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Paycom in April 2014.

The interview process was very challenging but you can tell the company really cares about who they hire and wants it to be the right fit. You can tell the manager cared a lot about the culture of the office and wanted to hire someone that fit in well with the dynamic of the team. The PC session was challenging but gave a lot of insight into how the position would be and the team was very helpful. I did not make it to the final interview.

Interview Questions
    • What is the best and worst time in your life thus far?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Paycom in February 2014.

It was strenuous but good. They only hire the best so they are picky and I think it is for the best. The manager was nice and helpful and the regional gave me many good things to think on.

None

Outside B2B Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Paycom in February 2014.

I applied online and then had a phone interview. That went well and I then was scheduled to meet with a Hiring Manager of the local Paycom Office. I get there prepared and practiced multiple times but he ends up not showing up which frustrated me greatly. He then asks me standard questions but then questions my passion for sales.

Jun 9, 2014Representative

Thank you for your feedback. At Paycom we value the time of every candidate just like we do our customers. We are very sorry that you had to wait and we will address this immediately. Please know ... More

Payroll Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Paycom in September 2013.

The Paycom hiring process is not for the weak of heart. It is stringent as the companies mindset is to hire and retain the best of the best. I went through three interviews: an initial phone screening with a recruiter, a interview with my current supervisor, and a final interview with my supervisor and a Director of my department. After the successful phone interview, the recruiter had me follow up with taking a few tests which included a test on excel, and typing tests to determine you speed. These were very clear cut tests and are easily completed if you are computer savvy. Before my first interview, I was prompted to complete another quiz, it was mostly analogies like you would see on an ACT. The test was timed but there were not expectations as far as completion. Both interviews at the company location were formal but not too intimidating. The best advice I could give would be to come prepared with knowledge on the company and specific questions on your position or the company. Also, be prepared to answer your interviewers questions with detailed professional answers.

Interview Questions
    • My most difficult question was, where do you see yourself in five years? I am amongst the youngest here and honestly, my future could go anywhere. I was genuine and honest in my answer of what a dream future would be like for me and apparently it served me well.   Answer Question
    I originally was not interviewing for the Specialist position, even though they had positions open. My first interview I made clear that I was very customer focused as I had been in retail management for several years and working with customers and having that interaction is what I loved to do. This convinced them to interview me for the specialist position, which is higher than the original position I was applying for. Just be honest with yourself on what makes you happy, and whatever position you decide to apply for Paycom is a great place to be.

B2B Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Paycom in October 2013.

First of all you get a dedicated recruiter who truly cares about you and getting you to the next step; Kelsey was a rock star! Once you passed the recruiters initial questions there were 3 additional interviews, along with a phone canvassing session. Kelsey called me between each phase, answered all the questions I could possibly think of and would prepare me in any way possible. The 3 interviews were broken down by Manager, Regional and Chief Sales Officer. Each interviewer had their own style of questioning but answered all the questions I had, honestly! Also during this process it is a two way street, they are interviewing you but you are also interviewing them. Every person I met with did a fantastic job of being open and honest about the position and what to expect.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Paycom.

There is enough information online to get a good understanding of what the job interview process will be like. Come prepared to wow the manager in a very short amount of time. You will only have a few moments to make an impression. Also, this is a very competitive company so expect there to be many well qualified people gunning for the same position.

Interview Questions
    • Explain how you overcame a challenge at your previous job.   Answer Question

Executive Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Paycom in May 2013.

It's a challenging interview process, but I was able to get through in less than 2 weeks. Started off with a phone interview then I was able to go into the office to meet the manager (wear a full suit or you will stand out). I liked the energy in the office and everyone seemed to like being there. Everyone was really professional and helpful which was important to me. After a detailed interview with the manager, I was invited back from the phone calling session. I had to get there at 7:45, but was able to meet the team and get advice from them. From there I interviewed with the VP. They are obviously looking for a very specific person and there was a lot of competition for the position. The job seems pretty high-level; I guess that is why they pay so much.

Jul 5, 2013Representative

Thank you for feedback and description of the interview process.