Paycom

Getting the Interview

129 candidate interviews

Very Easy Interview

Outside Sales Representative Interview

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Paycom in January 2011.

Interview Details – I received a call from the recruiter, nice guy, scheduled in a face to face in Irvine, California. The day comes for the big interview in which I so diligently prepared and the door is locked; I knock, no one answers. I call the recruiter and he gives me the number to my interviewer for me to call to have her open the door...OK, cool, kinda weird, but whatever. The interview begins and the interviewer couldn't be more uninterested and distracted. I was asked NO questions regarding sales, none! She asked me "Who I admire the most" and went over my resume and college education. She wasn't interested about the statement on my resume about how I made my current company almost half a million dollars (verifiable) in revenue in a single quarter in 2010. I honestly think I was interviewed because she was forced to. As awkwardly as the interview began it was over. She had a meeting to go to, she told me.
The interview was simple and I nailed it. In short, I'm a good interviewer and I nailed her questions, not that they were challenging, especially the one at the end when they ask you, "Do you have any questions for me"? For those who don't know, this is the time to close the deal, or interview rather.

After the interview, I called the recruiter and we chatted about the interview, good conversation. He says he'll call me the next day to let me know how it went and give me information about the next interview. He never does. If fact I didn't hear a word form him for over two weeks despite my attempts to contact him. I ended up having to call my interviewer to get some closure as I had other offers standing by but was really wanting to work for Paycom. She was surprisingly awkward on the phone, not what you you'd expect from a sales manager, and told me their offices in Oklahoma were interrupted due to the recent inclement weather and she would email him. I didn't hear from them for a few more days to receive an email from a man in their HR department whom I've never spoken with telling me I didn't get the job. Paycom is very unprofessional and might be stepping on their own feet by creating a bad reputation stemming from their interviewees who may or may not have large personal networks of small business within Paycom's target geographical area of operation. Novel complete.

Interview Question – Who do you admire the most?   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Chicago, IL

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Paycom in July 2010.

Interview Details – DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME. This company uses the interview process for free labor. After the intial interview you go for a 4 hour cold calling session in which you have to get 3 people to meet with you about a product that you can not discuss. After the interview I did some research and saw that they did this to a lot of people.

Outside Sales Interview

Charlotte, NC

The process took 5 days - interviewed at Paycom in June 2010.

Interview Details – I got the job interview through a recruiter who was very nice and informative about the job opportunity. i usually do not go to sales interviews but this one offered a 30,000 base salary so I decided to go. The interview was very short and no one really cared to answer my questions. It seemed like they were not interested in me from the beginning

Alpharetta, GA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Paycom in March 2010.

Interview Details – Initial phone screen went well. Recruiter was friendly and optimistic. I spent some time researching the company and found that it was growing rapidly and was very profitable. I read some less than encouraging reviews about the company and the interview process but decided to give it a shot anyway. I arrived 15 minutes before my scheduled interview time and was not called back until 20 minutes after the scheduled time. While I waited I observed a boiler room-type atmosphere with a room full of people making dial after dial, slamming phones and talking about how they refused to waste time on XYZ type of people. The interview itself was no better. Neither of the interviewers had even glanced at my resume prior to me entering the room and their portion of the process lasted only about 10 minutes, five of which was spent bashing their competitor ADP. I spent another 15 minutes asking them questions which apparently caught their interest.

After the interview I received a phone call indicating that the interview went well and they wanted me to come back in for the "next step in the process." Thankfully I already knew what that was after reading other interview reviews - a half day of cold calling for no compensation so that they can "see how well you work on the phone" which really translates to free labor for the company. Needless to say I politely declined and thanked the recruiter for her time.

Interview Question – Using one of your previous employers a reference, cold call me and sell me your product or service.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Horrible atmosphere, no respect for the time of those being interviewed, company speaks negatively and openly about competition. No one in the building smiled the entire time I was there. I see there being a potential for short-term income, but the personal cost was too high.

Bedford, TX

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Paycom in April 2011.

Interview Details – The company recruiter was very nice until after the interview process was concluded. She sent materials needed for the interview (all common sense) and a company PDF for the cold-calling session. After a one-on-one interview with the manager I came back in the next week for the cold-calling session. Before this the manager talked about company leads and such and acted as if cold-calling was a part of the sales process but not the MAIN way to do business. That is exactly opposite, after my cold-calling session in which I set 2 appts in 3 hours, the minimum is three to be offered an interview with the VP, he asked me to come back and try again. After I set the two appointments, I was handed a $40 gift-card that expired in 2 months and only had $2.50 on it.nThe manager then proceeded to tell me that 80% of their business is off COLD CALLING. This is when the recruiter was rude, didn't return calls and proceeded to send me a replacement without notification until 3 days later.. Yes they give you a small salary but it is not worth the amount of cold calling unless you are into that sort of selling, if so, this job is for you. I have an education and military experience, this was not for me. If you do not mind A LOT of cold calling, go apply and get a job.

Reason for Declining – I was asked to come back a second time to do the cold-calling session but declined. The manager believed I just needed to follow scripts and act like a call center person, no thanks.

Outside Sales Interview

Denver, CO

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Paycom in May 2011.

Interview Details – 1 on 1, phone interview with regional manager, phone canvasing, ceo. Overall, their process for interviewing is good. However, there is little feedback and if you have experience in sales it seems like you have little shot at the opportunity. Must be a college grad or little sales experience. Zero feedback from a seemingly inexperienced manager. Seemed to be a good place to work, but don't expect a professional interview process until you move on later in the rounds.

Interview Questions

• What do you like about sales?   Answer Question
  • Explain a two month gap in your job search years out of college?? How did you pay your bills?   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

Oklahoma City, OK

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Paycom in December 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online. I received a phone call from the recruiter around a week or two later. He called unannounced and out of the blue and started asking some questions. Nothing difficult. Just some basic stuff from my resume. He scheduled the first in-person interview which was about a week later. He gave me instructions on how to dress, what to say at the front desk, and what to bring.

The day of the interview came and I talked with two people from the development team. They were very friendly and asked about my past work and technical experience. It lasted around 15 to 20 minutes in total.

The recruiter called again to schedule the next interview which was with the CEO. It was about a week apart from the last interview.

The recruiter called about an hour before the interview with the CEO just to inform me to be formally dressed and have a copy of my resume. The interview with the CEO was really short. Around 5-6 minutes. He just asked a few questions and talked a little bit. After that the interview was over.

The place was a large office building with elevators and conference rooms. The people were all pretty much formally dressed.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a large challenging project in your academic life or career.   View Answer
  • What is your greatest achievement?   View Answer
  • Who is your role model and why?   View Answer
  • Why are you interested in working with us?   View Answer

Sales Representative

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Paycom in June 2012.

Interview Details – Very short and very basic interview questions both in the phone and in-person interviews. Still, however, didn't get the offer to go to the next round (cold calling). Extremely competitive company.

Interview Question – Why should I choose you over the other candidates?   Answer Question

Washington, DC

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Paycom in June 2012.

Interview Details – Contacted by an outside group to interview 1:1 with the sales manager. Met with the sales manager, went fantastic and said he wanted to skip the 2nd interview, and was offered to come in for a phone canvassing session the following morning and was told we'd set up an interview the day after the canvassing. Received a 5 minute briefing on what to say and how to close, wasn't helpful at all, just made me sound like an automated machine. Made cold calls to un-interested business owners and gatekeepers for 4 hours. Goal was 3 appointments, I made 1 appointment. Was assured that this doesn't effect their decision making about you. I had to leave at exactly 12pm which I told him when I agreed to the phone canvassing session the previous day, because I had an appointment 45 minutes away at 1pm. Manager was on the phone when I left and haven't spoken with him since, despite being praised by the sales reps and told that he would follow up with me. I touched base with the HR person that I had been speaking with and she got me his e-mail to help try and contact him. Still haven't heard anything but received an e-mail from the HR department saying I didn't get the job.

Very unorganized, unprofessional, and the cold calling routine sucked. Also was supposed to be compensated $40 for the phone canvassing session, but I guarantee I will never it. Absolutely ridiculous that I put my neck on the line for them and threatened being late for my next appointment all because he liked me in the interview so much, yet two days later I'm given an automated 4 sentence e-mail saying no thanks. I definitely would not recommend wasting your time with this company, although the pay is good.

Sales Interview

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Paycom in January 2012.

Interview Details – Just got back from the worst interview I ever had. When i got to the suite, two employees seemed to be gossipping, which happened to be my interviewer. She assured me that i only had to wait a few minutes. Instead,she went to her meeting where I had to wait another 40 minutes to be seen. She apologized, but really don't schedule me this early if you know you're having a meeting. When she sat down she proceeded to eat a hot pocket and text through most of my interview! I did not have her attention at all and she was quite rude. She criticized my resume which leads me to believe she didn't read it before hand. I couldn't get out fast enough!! When she told me there was multiple steps to this interview process, i wanted to laugh in her face. I would never work for this company if its acceptable for the manager to be this unprofessional!

Interview Question – Describe three things about yourself?   Answer Question