Paycom

Updated Feb 23, 2015
Updated Feb 23, 2015

3.3

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Paycom.

The interview process is very in depth. It involved being contacted for an initial meet and greet. Then from they might ask for another meeting and ask more in depth about the job. At another point you have to come in a take a typing test and a math type quiz.

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Paycom.

I was contacted by a Paycom recruiter and after speaking with him on the phone, I was set up with a first round interview. This was a webinar with the office manager for my specific location. Very simple and straightforward interview. The second interview was with the regional VP, which was a bit more difficult than the first. After being approved by the VP, I was invited into their office for a 4 hour prospecting session (cold calling and booking appointments). I ended up declining the offer to go in for the prospecting session.

Interview Questions
    • What experiences have set you up for a successful career at Paycom?   Answer Question
    • What have you been doing in the past few months to help you succeed in this role?   Answer Question

I didn't formally get an offer letter, but I ended up declining an offer to go in for the prospecting session. I did this because I received an offer from a different company.

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Paycom.

Interviewing with Paycom was timely and efficient. I spoke to a recruiter by phone, and sent her my resume. She had me apply online, and then I was scheduled to interview with the Sales Manager the next week. From there I interviewed with the Regional Manager. The last step in the interview is the phone canvass session. I think it's great that phone-canvassing is apart of the interview, it gives people a sneak peak at what a job with Paycom would be like.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult was probably phone canvass session just because it was not something I had ever done before. But they prep you, and it's more of a mental test seeing how you are able to adapt and roll with it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Paycom in June 2014.

You have a phone screening, a video interview with a manager, an in-office interview that includes a cold-call prospecting session, an interview with the regional manager, then an interview with the Chief Sales Officer.

I turned down three other job offers and accepted my offer at Paycom. A week and a half later, they call me and tell me my offer is being withdrawn because of a non-criminal underage drinking citation I received in college 7 years ago.

Ignoring that asinine policy in itself--the messed up part is that I had already told my recruiter about the citation on our first phone call two months prior to receiving the offer. Upon speaking to the HR Director I found out the recruiter had LIED to me and very likely lied to her bosses.

Throughout the process I was lied to, made phone calls that went un-returned, and was generally treated unprofessionally. During the interview, they had me lie to prospective clients during the prospecting portion. Paycom's mistake cost me time and money.

This company hires young people and encourages them to make money at all cost. They clearly don't value professional integrity and the lack of experience among their employees became painfully obvious during my situation.

If you're willing to trade your integrity to make money, you'll find a home at Paycom.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were very difficult, but they told me if I treated this job as if I was married to it, I'd be able to make hundreds of thousands of dollars within 2-3 years.   View Answer
    There's no negotiation--it's all fixed.

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Paycom in June 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter via linked in. He said they were specifically asked to find candidates from my current plae of employment. After the phone screening with the recruiter the branch manager had me in for an interview. It went well, took about an hour. I felt e really tried to get in my head and made me think about if this job would be the right fit. After that I was contacted a week later by the recruiter and he gave me tips and tricks for a web interview with the regional vp. That went ok, but when they contacted me for a cold calling session I wasn't interested in the position. Still at the same job I started at.

Interview Questions
    • What do you read? Books? Newspapers? Magazines?   View Answer

Outside Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Paycom in August 2014.

I want to start off by saying this is an excellent opportunity, if you can get through the interview process. I initially applied to the position but did not hear back right away. I was called about a month afterwards, and the voicemail was their HR Recruiter asking me to call them back. When I did, they pretty much immediately started an interview, asking a few basic questions. They then informed me they were going to schedule me to meet with the Sales Manager. They provided me with the information via phone and email, along with tips and information about the company as well as videos explaining their product. I came in one morning for the interview, about fifteen minutes early, and waited until about fifteen minutes after the original scheduled time. I expected this, as I had already read that they had their sales meeting that morning. The manager, after the meeting, immediately approached me and brought me into the office for the interview, which was about a half hour to fourty five minutes long. Typical interview, hardest question asked why I think I'm different than all of the other people that come in. After closing the interview asking what I needed to do next, and what the next step was, I was granted the chance to come in for a phone canvassing session. I was contacted by the HR Recruiter again, and he gave me the details, and also asked how the interview went. This time around, the email he provided had considerably less information. When I came in for the phone canvassing session, I sat down with all of the current sales reps and they shared information about themselves. Everyone there was very friendly. They also did some role-playing, and had me join in to warm up. They sat me down at a desk and gave me basic instructions, and let me get to it. I was asked to schedule 3 appointments within about a four hour period of time. They provided me with a list of leads to call, and a computer to use if necessary. I was not able to schedule all three appointments, but the Sales Manager indicated that they would look into the potential for me to continue. I was informed via email a few days later that they were moving on without me. POSITIVES: Everyone in the process was very friendly, helpful, and were genuinely interested in providing me with the best opportunity. The opportunity itself is there, as the product they are selling is ACTUALLY something beneficial, and can legitimately help the customers. NEGATIVES: The phone canvassing session may be a test of skill on the phone and ability to adapt, but no one is sitting with you when you're doing the calls, so how can they see if you are adapting, learning, and changing what you're doing? Also, when you only get to voicemails, it isn't possible to meet the goal. There is no point in wasting time leaving voicemails, because you don't know if you're coming back. The other issue is that they provide you with tons of information on Paycom earlier in the process, as well as some basic scripts to help during the phone session, BUT it doesn't help with objections you end up getting. Sales is obviously alot of "No's" before you get a "Maybe" or a "Yes". During the phone cavassing session, I noticed that only one person who worked there (and was trained) scheduled three or more appointments. Everyone else had two, one, or even none and they had already been trained and made knowledgable of the products. Having someone come in for a phone canvassing session MAY show you their potential, but testing someone on phones like that creates some very uncontrollable factors, and isn't a fair measurable test when the ONLY thing observied is the appointments set. That being said, I would like to mention, again, that I enjoyed myself during the process, and while it's unfortunate I did not continue through the process, I was treated very fairly, and very openly. Thank you for the opportunity, Paycom; I appreciate it!

Interview Questions
    • It was not a question, but the situation with the phone canvassing. Be prepared as much as you possibly can.   Answer Question

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Paycom in January 2014.

Pretty straight forward process. Had a phone interview with a recruiter, moved on to an in person interview with hiring manager. If that goes well, they invite you in for a sales prospecting session, where the goal is to complete 3-5 appointments in a four hour period. Based on those results, you basically will be made an offer or passed on.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me in three words where you want to be in three months.   View Answer
    No negotiation, salary was well-known

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Paycom.

Lengthy process, but well worth the time!

Interview Questions
    None. Base is 50k plus commission.

B2B Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Paycom in October 2013.

First of all you get a dedicated recruiter who truly cares about you and getting you to the next step; Kelsey was a rock star! Once you passed the recruiters initial questions there were 3 additional interviews, along with a phone canvassing session. Kelsey called me between each phase, answered all the questions I could possibly think of and would prepare me in any way possible. The 3 interviews were broken down by Manager, Regional and Chief Sales Officer. Each interviewer had their own style of questioning but answered all the questions I had, honestly! Also during this process it is a two way street, they are interviewing you but you are also interviewing them. Every person I met with did a fantastic job of being open and honest about the position and what to expect.

Executive Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Paycom in May 2013.

It's a challenging interview process, but I was able to get through in less than 2 weeks. Started off with a phone interview then I was able to go into the office to meet the manager (wear a full suit or you will stand out). I liked the energy in the office and everyone seemed to like being there. Everyone was really professional and helpful which was important to me. After a detailed interview with the manager, I was invited back from the phone calling session. I had to get there at 7:45, but was able to meet the team and get advice from them. From there I interviewed with the VP. They are obviously looking for a very specific person and there was a lot of competition for the position. The job seems pretty high-level; I guess that is why they pay so much.

Paycom Response

Jul 5, 2013Representative

Thank you for feedback and description of the interview process.