Paycom

3.3

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Paycom in June 2010.

I got the job interview through a recruiter who was very nice and informative about the job opportunity. i usually do not go to sales interviews but this one offered a 30,000 base salary so I decided to go. The interview was very short and no one really cared to answer my questions. It seemed like they were not interested in me from the beginning

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Paycom in March 2010.

Initial phone screen went well. Recruiter was friendly and optimistic. I spent some time researching the company and found that it was growing rapidly and was very profitable. I read some less than encouraging reviews about the company and the interview process but decided to give it a shot anyway. I arrived 15 minutes before my scheduled interview time and was not called back until 20 minutes after the scheduled time. While I waited I observed a boiler room-type atmosphere with a room full of people making dial after dial, slamming phones and talking about how they refused to waste time on XYZ type of people. The interview itself was no better. Neither of the interviewers had even glanced at my resume prior to me entering the room and their portion of the process lasted only about 10 minutes, five of which was spent bashing their competitor ADP. I spent another 15 minutes asking them questions which apparently caught their interest.

After the interview I received a phone call indicating that the interview went well and they wanted me to come back in for the "next step in the process." Thankfully I already knew what that was after reading other interview reviews - a half day of cold calling for no compensation so that they can "see how well you work on the phone" which really translates to free labor for the company. Needless to say I politely declined and thanked the recruiter for her time.

Interview Questions
    • Using one of your previous employers a reference, cold call me and sell me your product or service.   Answer Question

Horrible atmosphere, no respect for the time of those being interviewed, company speaks negatively and openly about competition. No one in the building smiled the entire time I was there. I see there being a potential for short-term income, but the personal cost was too high.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bedford, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bedford, TX

The process took a weekinterviewed at Paycom in April 2011.

The company recruiter was very nice until after the interview process was concluded. She sent materials needed for the interview (all common sense) and a company PDF for the cold-calling session. After a one-on-one interview with the manager I came back in the next week for the cold-calling session. Before this the manager talked about company leads and such and acted as if cold-calling was a part of the sales process but not the MAIN way to do business. That is exactly opposite, after my cold-calling session in which I set 2 appts in 3 hours, the minimum is three to be offered an interview with the VP, he asked me to come back and try again. After I set the two appointments, I was handed a $40 gift-card that expired in 2 months and only had $2.50 on it.nThe manager then proceeded to tell me that 80% of their business is off COLD CALLING. This is when the recruiter was rude, didn't return calls and proceeded to send me a replacement without notification until 3 days later.. Yes they give you a small salary but it is not worth the amount of cold calling unless you are into that sort of selling, if so, this job is for you. I have an education and military experience, this was not for me. If you do not mind A LOT of cold calling, go apply and get a job.

I was asked to come back a second time to do the cold-calling session but declined. The manager believed I just needed to follow scripts and act like a call center person, no thanks.

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Paycom in May 2011.

1 on 1, phone interview with regional manager, phone canvasing, ceo. Overall, their process for interviewing is good. However, there is little feedback and if you have experience in sales it seems like you have little shot at the opportunity. Must be a college grad or little sales experience. Zero feedback from a seemingly inexperienced manager. Seemed to be a good place to work, but don't expect a professional interview process until you move on later in the rounds.

Interview Questions
    • What do you like about sales?   Answer Question
    • Explain a two month gap in your job search years out of college?? How did you pay your bills?   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Paycom in December 2011.

I applied online. I received a phone call from the recruiter around a week or two later. He called unannounced and out of the blue and started asking some questions. Nothing difficult. Just some basic stuff from my resume. He scheduled the first in-person interview which was about a week later. He gave me instructions on how to dress, what to say at the front desk, and what to bring.

The day of the interview came and I talked with two people from the development team. They were very friendly and asked about my past work and technical experience. It lasted around 15 to 20 minutes in total.

The recruiter called again to schedule the next interview which was with the CEO. It was about a week apart from the last interview.

The recruiter called about an hour before the interview with the CEO just to inform me to be formally dressed and have a copy of my resume. The interview with the CEO was really short. Around 5-6 minutes. He just asked a few questions and talked a little bit. After that the interview was over.

The place was a large office building with elevators and conference rooms. The people were all pretty much formally dressed.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about a large challenging project in your academic life or career.   View Answer
    • What is your greatest achievement?   View Answer
    • Who is your role model and why?   View Answer
    • Why are you interested in working with us?   View Answer

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Paycom in January 2012.

Just got back from the worst interview I ever had. When i got to the suite, two employees seemed to be gossipping, which happened to be my interviewer. She assured me that i only had to wait a few minutes. Instead,she went to her meeting where I had to wait another 40 minutes to be seen. She apologized, but really don't schedule me this early if you know you're having a meeting. When she sat down she proceeded to eat a hot pocket and text through most of my interview! I did not have her attention at all and she was quite rude. She criticized my resume which leads me to believe she didn't read it before hand. I couldn't get out fast enough!! When she told me there was multiple steps to this interview process, i wanted to laugh in her face. I would never work for this company if its acceptable for the manager to be this unprofessional!

Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Paycom in June 2012.

Very short and very basic interview questions both in the phone and in-person interviews. Still, however, didn't get the offer to go to the next round (cold calling). Extremely competitive company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Paycom in June 2012.

Contacted by an outside group to interview 1:1 with the sales manager. Met with the sales manager, went fantastic and said he wanted to skip the 2nd interview, and was offered to come in for a phone canvassing session the following morning and was told we'd set up an interview the day after the canvassing. Received a 5 minute briefing on what to say and how to close, wasn't helpful at all, just made me sound like an automated machine. Made cold calls to un-interested business owners and gatekeepers for 4 hours. Goal was 3 appointments, I made 1 appointment. Was assured that this doesn't effect their decision making about you. I had to leave at exactly 12pm which I told him when I agreed to the phone canvassing session the previous day, because I had an appointment 45 minutes away at 1pm. Manager was on the phone when I left and haven't spoken with him since, despite being praised by the sales reps and told that he would follow up with me. I touched base with the HR person that I had been speaking with and she got me his e-mail to help try and contact him. Still haven't heard anything but received an e-mail from the HR department saying I didn't get the job.

Very unorganized, unprofessional, and the cold calling routine sucked. Also was supposed to be compensated $40 for the phone canvassing session, but I guarantee I will never it. Absolutely ridiculous that I put my neck on the line for them and threatened being late for my next appointment all because he liked me in the interview so much, yet two days later I'm given an automated 4 sentence e-mail saying no thanks. I definitely would not recommend wasting your time with this company, although the pay is good.

Payroll Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

I applied online – interviewed at Paycom in July 2013.

I came for my interview and was told to come back another day because all their managers were in meetings. The recruiter even got my name wrong. After I came back for a rescheduled interview, there was no apology or knowledge that I didn't get to see anyone the first time. I find it ironic that this company offers employment management services when they can't even manage potential employees. I don't even want to know how they handle their actual employees. My interviewer told me they would have a decision at the beginning of the next week. It's been five weeks since the interview... I never heard back from them.

Interview Questions
    • Why would you want to work for a payroll and employment management company that's completely different from what you majored in college?   View Answer

Paycom Response

Aug 22, 2013Representative

I am sorry to hear about your experience as this is certainly not standard Paycom protocol. We value each of our potential hires time and have looked into the issue at hand.

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Paycom in October 2013.

I was contacted by two different recruiters - first the recruiter will give you a quick phone screening, then another recruiter called me 30 minutes later and did another phone screening before setting up an office interview the same week.

The first interview in-office seemed very casual, she basically just wanted me to go through my resume, and carried on more of a casual conversation after that. When I asked if she had any more questions for me- she responded "no not really, when I have less questions that means I like you".... Seemed like an inexperienced interviewer.

The office dress was not as professional as I had expected either, one girl in the office had on a dress you could actually see through. Aside from that, I was definitely impressed by the amount of money they said you could make in the beginning, it almost seemed too good to be true. However, this is definitely the factor that kept me really wanting to continue through the process.

Next, I got called in for the phone canvassing. The team was super nice and very helpful in what works best on the phone when setting appointments. They said she gave me a great area to call, which meant she actually wanted to hire me. I set 3 appointments in the first 45 minutes of calling, so the office manager let me go an hour early- which was disappointing because I wanted to see how many I could set in the allotted time.

The next step was an interview with the regional sales director via webcam- my recruiter set this up for the wrong day initially, but I thought it went well once I had the interview.

The next step was when something really started to not feel right.... I was called to go on a ride-along with a sales rep.- I was also told if all went well with this then it would be the final step before an offer. The ride along was changed to lunch the following day, then I received text message an hour and half before I was to leave my house for lunch asking if I could come in for dinner instead, so I had to completely rearrange my schedule twice for the 2 hour drive each way.

The reps who took me to dinner seemed to have no idea what was going on- they didn't know where I was in the interview process, they seemed like they didn't know what exactly we were going to dinner for... It also seemed like they were holding something back or I was missing something.... I was actually told that "sometimes the manager really likes people but just decides not to hire them after taking them through the interview process because they don't have the time or feel like training them...." At that point I was very confused as I thought I was interviewing for an open position that they needed to fill, not just going through the interview process for the sake of going through it.

I was told I was moving on to the final interview round- only to be contacted later and told that "They were going pass"- again not a very professional way to tell someone you are not going to hire them (maybe "pursuing other candidates" or "opportunities" would have been a better way to phrase that). After being told all along that they really liked me and by the reps. that management wanted to hire me and then not being offered, I felt very strung along by the whole process. The interview process is tortuous as they keep telling you this is the last step and it isn't.... it seems like they think the only thing people have going on in their lives is this interview. Did they really need to take me through 5 whole steps to decide I wasn't the right person for the job? Especially, because any decent candidate probably has a ton of other interviews going on at the same time.

Another red-flag is the fact that no one in the entire office had been a rep. for longer than 2.5 years.... and whenever it came up, anyone I talked to seemed very quick to cover-up why a person was no longer working there. Maybe it is because the company is growing so quickly, but I kind of got the impression either you are good enough to move up quickly to a manger status, or you quit from the intensity of the job. Seems like they draw in young, recent college grads. on the premise they are going to make a ridiculous amount of money.

All in all there were some positives and negatives to the experience. Having a recruiter and a contact person is nice, a lot of companies are doing that these days. The other sales reps. seemed like they wanted you to work there- nice people. It is for the best I did not get an offer, after awkwardness of my last interview I had decided not to accept if I was offered. Just way too many red-flags during just the interviews, management seemed too inexperienced, seems like a temporary job. My advice would be to not be jaded by what they tell you that you can make there, they lead with the money thing for a reason. Go with a more recognizable, well-known company if you can.

Interview Questions
    • "What are you going to buy with all the money you make at Paycom...?"   View Answer

Paycom Response

Nov 19, 2013Representative

We appreciate your feedback and offer our most sincere apology for any lapse in communication that may have occurred. We make sure to notify each candidate on the interview processes beforehand so ... More