Paycom Interview Questions

Updated Jun 23, 2015

3.3

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Paycom (Denver, CO) in October 2009.

Interview

They seem to be more interested in what's on your resume rather than actually talking to the candidate to learn about them. The sales manager asked me 2-3 questions and sat there reading my resume most of the time. That is either poor interview preparation on her part or just a lack of interviewing skills altogether. The interview was only 15 minutes long and there was no value at all in driving down to their office to watch someone read my resume in front of me.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about PayCom?   1 Answer

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Paycom (Chicago, IL) in July 2010.

Interview

1:1 interview. Then you do a 4 hour tryout where you cold call companies. Then there is a phone interview with a manager. Then you do a webcam chat with the CEO.

I stopped after the initial 1:1 interview because the guy interviewing me couldn't care less about what I had to say. He was a salesman, not somebody in HR who is responsible for hiring people. The guy was very unimpressive and gave me no reason to join the company.

All in all, huge waste of time.

Interview Questions

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Paycom in January 2011.

Interview

I received a call from the recruiter, nice guy, scheduled in a face to face in Irvine, California. The day comes for the big interview in which I so diligently prepared and the door is locked; I knock, no one answers. I call the recruiter and he gives me the number to my interviewer for me to call to have her open the door...OK, cool, kinda weird, but whatever. The interview begins and the interviewer couldn't be more uninterested and distracted. I was asked NO questions regarding sales, none! She asked me "Who I admire the most" and went over my resume and college education. She wasn't interested about the statement on my resume about how I made my current company almost half a million dollars (verifiable) in revenue in a single quarter in 2010. I honestly think I was interviewed because she was forced to. As awkwardly as the interview began it was over. She had a meeting to go to, she told me.
    The interview was simple and I nailed it. In short, I'm a good interviewer and I nailed her questions, not that they were challenging, especially the one at the end when they ask you, "Do you have any questions for me"? For those who don't know, this is the time to close the deal, or interview rather.

After the interview, I called the recruiter and we chatted about the interview, good conversation. He says he'll call me the next day to let me know how it went and give me information about the next interview. He never does. If fact I didn't hear a word form him for over two weeks despite my attempts to contact him. I ended up having to call my interviewer to get some closure as I had other offers standing by but was really wanting to work for Paycom. She was surprisingly awkward on the phone, not what you you'd expect from a sales manager, and told me their offices in Oklahoma were interrupted due to the recent inclement weather and she would email him. I didn't hear from them for a few more days to receive an email from a man in their HR department whom I've never spoken with telling me I didn't get the job. Paycom is very unprofessional and might be stepping on their own feet by creating a bad reputation stemming from their interviewees who may or may not have large personal networks of small business within Paycom's target geographical area of operation. Novel complete.

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Paycom (Chicago, IL) in July 2010.

Interview

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME. This company uses the interview process for free labor. After the intial interview you go for a 4 hour cold calling session in which you have to get 3 people to meet with you about a product that you can not discuss. After the interview I did some research and saw that they did this to a lot of people.

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Paycom (Charlotte, NC) in June 2010.

Interview

I got the job interview through a recruiter who was very nice and informative about the job opportunity. i usually do not go to sales interviews but this one offered a 30,000 base salary so I decided to go. The interview was very short and no one really cared to answer my questions. It seemed like they were not interested in me from the beginning

Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Paycom (Alpharetta, GA) in March 2010.

Interview

Initial phone screen went well. Recruiter was friendly and optimistic. I spent some time researching the company and found that it was growing rapidly and was very profitable. I read some less than encouraging reviews about the company and the interview process but decided to give it a shot anyway. I arrived 15 minutes before my scheduled interview time and was not called back until 20 minutes after the scheduled time. While I waited I observed a boiler room-type atmosphere with a room full of people making dial after dial, slamming phones and talking about how they refused to waste time on XYZ type of people. The interview itself was no better. Neither of the interviewers had even glanced at my resume prior to me entering the room and their portion of the process lasted only about 10 minutes, five of which was spent bashing their competitor ADP. I spent another 15 minutes asking them questions which apparently caught their interest.

After the interview I received a phone call indicating that the interview went well and they wanted me to come back in for the "next step in the process." Thankfully I already knew what that was after reading other interview reviews - a half day of cold calling for no compensation so that they can "see how well you work on the phone" which really translates to free labor for the company. Needless to say I politely declined and thanked the recruiter for her time.

Interview Questions

• Using one of your previous employers a reference, cold call me and sell me your product or service.   Answer Question

Horrible atmosphere, no respect for the time of those being interviewed, company speaks negatively and openly about competition. No one in the building smiled the entire time I was there. I see there being a potential for short-term income, but the personal cost was too high.

Anonymous Employee in Bedford, TX

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at Paycom (Bedford, TX) in April 2011.

Interview

The company recruiter was very nice until after the interview process was concluded. She sent materials needed for the interview (all common sense) and a company PDF for the cold-calling session. After a one-on-one interview with the manager I came back in the next week for the cold-calling session. Before this the manager talked about company leads and such and acted as if cold-calling was a part of the sales process but not the MAIN way to do business. That is exactly opposite, after my cold-calling session in which I set 2 appts in 3 hours, the minimum is three to be offered an interview with the VP, he asked me to come back and try again. After I set the two appointments, I was handed a $40 gift-card that expired in 2 months and only had $2.50 on it.nThe manager then proceeded to tell me that 80% of their business is off COLD CALLING. This is when the recruiter was rude, didn't return calls and proceeded to send me a replacement without notification until 3 days later.. Yes they give you a small salary but it is not worth the amount of cold calling unless you are into that sort of selling, if so, this job is for you. I have an education and military experience, this was not for me. If you do not mind A LOT of cold calling, go apply and get a job.

I was asked to come back a second time to do the cold-calling session but declined. The manager believed I just needed to follow scripts and act like a call center person, no thanks.

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Paycom (Denver, CO) in May 2011.

Interview

1 on 1, phone interview with regional manager, phone canvasing, ceo. Overall, their process for interviewing is good. However, there is little feedback and if you have experience in sales it seems like you have little shot at the opportunity. Must be a college grad or little sales experience. Zero feedback from a seemingly inexperienced manager. Seemed to be a good place to work, but don't expect a professional interview process until you move on later in the rounds.

Interview Questions

• What do you like about sales?   Answer Question
    • Explain a two month gap in your job search years out of college?? How did you pay your bills?   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Paycom (Oklahoma City, OK) in December 2011.

Interview

I applied online. I received a phone call from the recruiter around a week or two later. He called unannounced and out of the blue and started asking some questions. Nothing difficult. Just some basic stuff from my resume. He scheduled the first in-person interview which was about a week later. He gave me instructions on how to dress, what to say at the front desk, and what to bring.

The day of the interview came and I talked with two people from the development team. They were very friendly and asked about my past work and technical experience. It lasted around 15 to 20 minutes in total.

The recruiter called again to schedule the next interview which was with the CEO. It was about a week apart from the last interview.

The recruiter called about an hour before the interview with the CEO just to inform me to be formally dressed and have a copy of my resume. The interview with the CEO was really short. Around 5-6 minutes. He just asked a few questions and talked a little bit. After that the interview was over.

The place was a large office building with elevators and conference rooms. The people were all pretty much formally dressed.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a large challenging project in your academic life or career.   1 Answer
    • What is your greatest achievement?   1 Answer
    • Who is your role model and why?   1 Answer
    • Why are you interested in working with us?   1 Answer

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Paycom (Atlanta, GA) in January 2012.

Interview

Just got back from the worst interview I ever had. When i got to the suite, two employees seemed to be gossipping, which happened to be my interviewer. She assured me that i only had to wait a few minutes. Instead,she went to her meeting where I had to wait another 40 minutes to be seen. She apologized, but really don't schedule me this early if you know you're having a meeting. When she sat down she proceeded to eat a hot pocket and text through most of my interview! I did not have her attention at all and she was quite rude. She criticized my resume which leads me to believe she didn't read it before hand. I couldn't get out fast enough!! When she told me there was multiple steps to this interview process, i wanted to laugh in her face. I would never work for this company if its acceptable for the manager to be this unprofessional!