Paycom Interview Questions

Updated Aug 31, 2015

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Introduced to Paycom by recruiting agency. Process included phone screen, interview with Sales Manager, four hours cold calling, and a final interview with VP. They look for you to show resolve when cold calling, don't set down the phone and be ready to overcome a lot of objections.

Interview Questions

I gage the value a company places on their people by their willingness to negotiate an offer. I asked for an additional $3k and a fully paid phone (they only offer $25/month credit). Paycom was unwilling to negotiate anything. Additionally, I do not like the idea of using my own vehicle as transportation to/from appointments. I was initially prepared to except an offer, but the negotiation process was red flag. If a company won't fight to get you on their team than it isn't a place you should want to work.

Mar 30, 2015 – Representative

In order to remain fair, negotiating an increase in the base salary and certain perks are not part of our process. This ensures that everyone is treated the same, with fairness. We do have one of the ... More

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paycom.

Interview

I applied online and a recruiter reached out to me the next day. She was very pushy that she wanted me to interview quickly with the Vice President. The interview was scheduled for two days later at 7:30 in the morning. I sat around and waited for my phone to ring, no call, no email, nothing. Finally, that afternoon, I emailed my recruiter and apparently the person I was supposed to be interviewed with "forgot". A time was rescheduled, however once again the person never called, nor did the recruiter follow up. I ended up accepting an offer with another company the same day. I'm happy I dodged a bullet of working for such an unprofessional and disorganized company.

Feb 6, 2015 – Representative

Professionalism is of the utmost importance to us and everyone who represents Paycom. We will look into the issue at hand. If you have any further comments concerning this incident, please connect ... More

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Paycom.

Interview

I interviewed for a sales position originally and I was recommended for the Transition Specialist Role. I had to take an excel test at home to get the interview, as well as the Wonderlic Test when I got to the office for the first interview. I interviewed with the TSR Manager as well as the Head of the department. They asked a lot of critical thinking questions, as well as questions to find out more about my experiences. I was fresh out of college at the time. I was offered the position within 4 hours of leaving the interview.

Negotiation

Not really a negotiation, they have a set pay structure (which has changed for the better 3 times since I started a year and a half ago). At the time the department was growing so I was able to negotiate when i started a little bit. Now they have larger training classes so there might not be as much flexibility there.

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Paycom.

Interview

My first interview was on my university's campus. Both the national talent recruiter and the regional sales manager sat in with me. It was a great experience meeting with them both. I was invited to an office nearby to spend a day doing prospecting calls. I was given a list of companies to call, with no real knowledge of the company's product lines. For this reason, the sales manager and the other employees stressed how important it was to only try to set up another meeting instead of selling the company and it's products. Calling was somewhat frustrating, because I had no real experience with this yet. Toward the end of my time calling, the sales manager came over and sat by me to listen in on my conversations to see if she could help me at all. By this time is was around noon so I wasn't able to connect with any businesses as most employees were at lunch. I think it may have been helpful if she had attempted to give me feedback and advice earlier on in the day. I was able to set one appointment, but the expectation had been 3 so I was not invited back for a final interview.

Benefits Specialist Interview

Application

The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Paycom.

Interview

The first was a phone interview, then you complete prove it tests, once I had the in person interview it was actually for a different position then what I was told. Overall, very disappointed.

Paycom Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Paycom (Oklahoma City, OK).

Interview

The first communication was a short phone interview that lasted around 15 or so. The recruiter just asked some basic questions abo how I heard of the job, why I wanted to leave my current job and the went over briefly the position and compensation. Around 2 days later I was then called again and set up a face to face interview. The recruiter stated that I should show up at least 15 minutes before so I would have enough time to complete the 12 minute Wonderlic test. I was then placed into a small room with a desk and a computer and was told about the Wonderlic and a few tips; like only spend 10-12 seconds on each question. They seem to be looking at how quickly you can finish the test than how accurate you can be. I was not able to use a calculator or other material besides a pen and paper that they provided to me. Once I finished the test I was shown to another small interview room and was seated and spoke with manger and team leader. The whole process took about an hour.

Interview Questions

I personally would be taking a pay cut along with less 401k matching and less PTO starting off. I also was not really wowed by anything I saw or anyone I was introduced to.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Paycom (Houston, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

It was certainly intense and clear that Paycom is very specific about the type of people they hire. Must be very confident, professional, and have a great personality. Multiple rounds of interviews with the office manager and regional manager. Toughest part is the phone canvassing session in which you will need to set 3 appointments for other reps in a four hour period. Can definitely be accomplished, but will certainly test your skills on the phone and how you act under pressure. This is fun though because all the reps in the office are doing the same thing as you and supporting you the whole time. Just go in with confidence!

Interview Questions

• Be ready to talk about your experiences and what has prepared you for a career in sales. They are very interested in why you answer questions a certain way as well, so know your answers well. They are also looking for you to close them in the interview. Never leave without setting up a clear next step or they may question your ability to close a sale.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Paycom (Boston, MA) in January 2015.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me via Linkedin and instead of setting me up on a call with herself, the hiring sales manager in the Boston office called me instead. I was caught off guard with the bypass of the recruiter, but the sales manager insisted because he was so impressed with my resume. We hit it off over the phone, he seemed like a real down to earth guy that was easy to get along with and he invited me into the office the next night. Once I got there, I sat down across from the hiring sales manager and also a tenured rep on his team. The sales manager did not look up from my resume once the entire interview. He grilled me on every little aspect of my resume; why I had a month in between jobs, why I didn't pursue a professional job immediately out of school, etc. He asked some real fluffy questions, too, such as, "who is your biggest role model" and "what motivates you in life?" Was that guy seriously going to decide whether to hire me or not based off questions like that? When I finally got the opportunity to ask some questions, I asked the hiring manager if he had any reservations about hiring me. He said he was disappointed that I didn't have a professional job secured right out of college and that he only wants to hire people who are 100% gun ho perusing sales. I guess taking two small jobs after college to figure out what you want to do is not taken lightly at Paycom.

Interview Questions

• Are you intrinsically or extrinsically motivated?   1 Answer

Feb 6, 2015 – Representative

I am sorry to hear about your experience and can assure you this is not the norm in any of our offices across the nation. Thank you for your comments and we wish you the best in future endeavors.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Paycom (Washington, DC) in January 2015.

Interview

The process is pretty typical. You have a phone call from a recruiter, if you meet the qualifications and seem like a good fit you meet with the manager of the office you are interviewing for, then if they like you, you would come in for a phone canvassing session where you meet the team and try to set three appointments. If you make it past the phone canvassing session you interview with your regional manager.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in working here?   1 Answer

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Paycom (Oklahoma City, OK) in January 2015.

Interview

Very easy process! Phone interview, in person interview and shadowing. They made sure to go into detail about their expectations, job requirements and give me a tour. I felt very welcome even before joining the team. Paycom is very good about making sure it a good fit for both parties. They want people to join their team who want to be here.