Paycom

Getting the Interview

130 candidate interviews

Account Executive Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Paycom in January 2014.

Interview Details – I contacted a recruiter about the position and was told that I had a solid background for the position and setup an in-person interview at the office in Chicago with the Sales Manager. My first interview was straight forward, pretty basic questions. Tell me about a time... Why are you a good fit for Paycom?

Made it to the second round and had a webcam interview with the regional sales manager. Much more thorough of an interview, really checking to see why you want to sell payroll and work for them. I sold myself and was moved on to a phone canvassing session back in the Chicago office.

I showed up on a Friday morning for a 4 hour cold calling session. You are given a list of numbers to call, a brief script to practice with prior and left to your own devices. They expect you to land 3 confirmed appointments in 4 hours, which is incredibly difficult in that industry. I went on to cold call and land THREE appointments in the allotted time.

The recruiter reached out to me a few days later and told me they were going with someone else. I recommend following up and really getting to know the people in the office you visit as best you can. I feel like they have a strong influence on your hiring managers decision.

Interview Question – Why do you want to sell payroll?   Answer Question

Outside Sales Consultant Interview

Outside Sales Consultant
Troy, MI

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Paycom in January 2014.

Interview Details – The process first began with an phone screening process that was relatively basic. They went over past work experiences, education, etc. The next step was a one on one interview with the district manager. This was laid back and she asked some simple questions about where you want to be in 5 years, what you are looking for in a position, what are the three most important things in your life, etc. Then a phone canvassing session in which you needed to set up 3 appointments to move on. The first time I did not meet the requirement but they asked me to come back for another time. The second time I could not stay for the full 4 hours, unfortunately, and only set up one appointment. After that I was not asked back for the next step. Still, it was great experience, I learned a lot and it helped me land a different sales position with one of Paycom biggest competitors!

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult to answer. During the phone canvassing session try to sell yourself and not the product as best as you can. That was my ultimate downfall. I did not feel comfortable selling a product I did not know.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager
Oklahoma City, OK

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Paycom in February 2014.

Interview Details – The most difficult part of this interview was a phone interview, then taking 3 tests online, then taking another test onsite, then having an in person interview. I was told I should hear by the end of the week. I never heard back. Not even an email.

Interview Question – The questions were simple and extremely typical of an interview.   Answer Question

Mar 18, 2014

I'm sorry to hear you have not heard back following your interview. Please reach out to your recruiter or staffing agency.

Sales Representative
Detroit, MI

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Paycom.

Interview Details – There is enough information online to get a good understanding of what the job interview process will be like. Come prepared to wow the manager in a very short amount of time. You will only have a few moments to make an impression. Also, this is a very competitive company so expect there to be many well qualified people gunning for the same position.

Interview Question – Explain how you overcame a challenge at your previous job.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Oklahoma City, OK

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Paycom.

Interview Details – Contacted by Recruiter and then did a series of interviews.
The entire process is handled by the Recruiter.
First interview was with an IT Manager and then a follow up interview with the CIO.

The interview process was not largely technical but they asked a bit about my previous projects and my role in them.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here   Answer Question

Software Sales Position Interview

Denver, CO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Paycom in August 2013.

Interview Details – I met with the Sales Manager in Denver. She was tough, and very detailed. We talked for about 30 minutes. I was definitely excited when I got out of the interview, and realized that I wanted this career. Her story was the story I wanted for myself. I got moved forward to meet with the Regional manager, and she was just as great. She did not beat around the bush, but was very personable. I did not get the position, but the very professional recruiter let me know what I needed to do, and request that I come back after getting some B2B Sales experience. I appreciated the honesty, and the feedback that I felt like helped me. I am determined to go back, and get this career at Paycom.

Interview Question – She gave me a sales scenario, and wanted me to walk through it step by step.   Answer Question

Sales Representative
Denver, CO

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Paycom in August 2013.

Interview Details – It was a 4 round interview process. 1st with the Denver office manager, 2nd with the regional manager, 3rd was an appointment setting session, and last was a final interview with the CSO.

The 1st interview went great! It was obvious that the sales manager was very passionate about Paycom and the future of the company. She seemed to have great interaction with the team and she was very cheerful. She made it very clear what she was looking for in a candidate and her expectations of a new hire.

The 2nd interview also went well. The regional manager was very nice and made me feel like I would be a great fit for the company.

The appointment setting session was very difficult, but it made me realize how exciting the job can be. It challenged me and made want to keep fighting through in order to set the appointments so I could make it to the next step.

Lastly, the interview with the CSO went okay. I don't think I delivered very well on my overall sales experience. He questioned me a lot about my reasons as to why I wanted to relocate to Denver.

I ended up getting asked to get more sales experience and come back and reapply to Paycom down the road. I was very disappointed, but I am confident I would have been a great fit for this company. The amount of pay is rediculous and I am planning on reapplying in another year or so!

Interview Question – Tell me about the persons who was ranked #1 in your last position. What did he/she do that you didn't do?   Answer Question

Oct 29, 2013

Thank you for the detailed report of your experience. We encourage you to get some valuable sales experience and look forward to seeing your resume next year.

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Paycom in April 2013.

Interview Details – Called by recruiter, was prepped about how detailed orientated the company is with employment dates and such. Then moved to face to face with branch manager,- very pleasant and fun experience. Moved on to the Skype call with the regional VP who was tougher and then a 4 hour phone canvasing session in the office then followed by a final Skype interview with the CFO. Grueling.

Interview Question – Why haven't you stayed with a company longer than four years? Huh??   Answer Question

Jun 26, 2013

Thank you for going through our interview process. While our process is long, we do feel it helps both parties realize if it is a good fit moving forward. We wish you nothing but the best in your ... More

Executive Sales Representative Interview

Executive Sales Representative
Saint Louis, MO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Paycom in May 2013.

Interview Details – It's a challenging interview process, but I was able to get through in less than 2 weeks. Started off with a phone interview then I was able to go into the office to meet the manager (wear a full suit or you will stand out). I liked the energy in the office and everyone seemed to like being there. Everyone was really professional and helpful which was important to me. After a detailed interview with the manager, I was invited back from the phone calling session. I had to get there at 7:45, but was able to meet the team and get advice from them. From there I interviewed with the VP. They are obviously looking for a very specific person and there was a lot of competition for the position. The job seems pretty high-level; I guess that is why they pay so much.

Interview Question – What are your long-term/short term goals?   Answer Question

Jul 5, 2013

Thank you for feedback and description of the interview process.

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Paycom in February 2013.

Interview Details – Paycom has a long interview process. It is my understanding that they are trying to make sure that the company is a good fit for them and for you. My first interview was a phone screen with a recruiter I was working with. They told me the details of the position, comp plan, etc. I was excited to learn more about Paycom because it is a growing company and I wanted to get into outside sales. I then went to an in person interview with the hiring manager. We spent about 30 minutes discussing my background and more details about what I was looking for in a career. I was then moved on to the phone canvassing session. This is a 4 hour block of calling with the rest of the sales reps on the team. You are calling into prospects using other outsourcing companies. I really enjoyed spending time with the rest of the staff, but was not able to set appointments. I actually appreciated the session, as I realized that maybe I wasn't cut out for sales and had no desire to cold call in the future. Overall it was a great experience and I enjoyed my time in the interview process here. I believe that had I made it past the calling I would have had an interview with a vp, a ride along, and a web cam with the CSO.

Interview Question – What motivates you?   Answer Question

Jun 26, 2013

We greatly appreciate your feedback and are thankful that you have shared your experience. A profession in sales may not be in your future, but we hope you nothing but the best as you move forward in ... More
Interviews for Top Jobs at Paycom

Worked for Paycom? Contribute to the Community!

Paycom Videos

Paycom – Why Work for Us?

Paycom was founded in Oklahoma City in 1998 as the first online payroll company capable of serving mid-size businesses. Paycom’s CEO spent years in the payroll industry and knew there had to be a better way to service… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Paycom interview questions and advice. All 130 interview reviews posted anonymously by Paycom employees and interview candidates.