Paycom

Updated Jan 28, 2015
Updated Jan 28, 2015

3.3

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Paycom.

Lengthy process, but well worth the time!

Interview Questions
    None. Base is 50k plus commission.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Paycom in January 2014.

I contacted a recruiter about the position and was told that I had a solid background for the position and setup an in-person interview at the office in Chicago with the Sales Manager. My first interview was straight forward, pretty basic questions. Tell me about a time... Why are you a good fit for Paycom?

Made it to the second round and had a webcam interview with the regional sales manager. Much more thorough of an interview, really checking to see why you want to sell payroll and work for them. I sold myself and was moved on to a phone canvassing session back in the Chicago office.

I showed up on a Friday morning for a 4 hour cold calling session. You are given a list of numbers to call, a brief script to practice with prior and left to your own devices. They expect you to land 3 confirmed appointments in 4 hours, which is incredibly difficult in that industry. I went on to cold call and land THREE appointments in the allotted time.

The recruiter reached out to me a few days later and told me they were going with someone else. I recommend following up and really getting to know the people in the office you visit as best you can. I feel like they have a strong influence on your hiring managers decision.

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Paycom.

Very impressive process that revealed they make sure they have the right fit before extending an offer. Started the process with a recruiter who screened me thoroughly before setting up a phone screen with the local sales manager. After passing, I met the sales manager for an in-person interview, and afterward met the rest of the team in the office. The next interview was with the regional VP of Sales who was young but sharp as a tack. After passing that stage I was invited to a "phone canvassing" session which basically is a try-out to see if you have what it takes to cut it. This also provides you with an opportunity to determine for yourself whether or not this is the job for you. The goal is setting 3 appointments within a 5 hour period. If you pass the phone canvassing session you then meet with the CSO for a final screen. If this goes well, you'll most likely get an offer.

Interview Questions
    • The phone canvassing session was one of the most incredible interview experiences ever. It made the job palpable in ways that talking over a resume never could be possible. It took me a while to get my first appointment, but I remained calm and was able to hit them.   Answer Question

Outside Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Paycom in January 2014.

The process first began with an phone screening process that was relatively basic. They went over past work experiences, education, etc. The next step was a one on one interview with the district manager. This was laid back and she asked some simple questions about where you want to be in 5 years, what you are looking for in a position, what are the three most important things in your life, etc. Then a phone canvassing session in which you needed to set up 3 appointments to move on. The first time I did not meet the requirement but they asked me to come back for another time. The second time I could not stay for the full 4 hours, unfortunately, and only set up one appointment. After that I was not asked back for the next step. Still, it was great experience, I learned a lot and it helped me land a different sales position with one of Paycom biggest competitors!

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult to answer. During the phone canvassing session try to sell yourself and not the product as best as you can. That was my ultimate downfall. I did not feel comfortable selling a product I did not know.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Paycom in February 2014.

The most difficult part of this interview was a phone interview, then taking 3 tests online, then taking another test onsite, then having an in person interview. I was told I should hear by the end of the week. I never heard back. Not even an email.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were simple and extremely typical of an interview.   Answer Question

Mar 18, 2014Representative

I'm sorry to hear you have not heard back following your interview. Please reach out to your recruiter or staffing agency.

Software Sales Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Paycom in August 2013.

I met with the Sales Manager in Denver. She was tough, and very detailed. We talked for about 30 minutes. I was definitely excited when I got out of the interview, and realized that I wanted this career. Her story was the story I wanted for myself. I got moved forward to meet with the Regional manager, and she was just as great. She did not beat around the bush, but was very personable. I did not get the position, but the very professional recruiter let me know what I needed to do, and request that I come back after getting some B2B Sales experience. I appreciated the honesty, and the feedback that I felt like helped me. I am determined to go back, and get this career at Paycom.

Interview Questions
    • She gave me a sales scenario, and wanted me to walk through it step by step.   Answer Question

Executive Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Paycom.

Initial communication and planning of my interview was strong. The recruiting department always contacted me in a timely manner. It was a tough interview process, but it was thorough and well worth it. I feel as though the interview prepared me best for the position I now currently have, and I feel that the interview ensures no one gets hired that does not meet the Paycom criteria.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was in regard to my biggest flaws as I perceived them   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate salary because it is a generous offer that I approved of.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Paycom.

Contacted by Recruiter and then did a series of interviews.
    The entire process is handled by the Recruiter.
    First interview was with an IT Manager and then a follow up interview with the CIO.

The interview process was not largely technical but they asked a bit about my previous projects and my role in them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Paycom in April 2013.

My recruiter was very on task while setting up all the interviews. I had my first interview with a manager, second with the regional manager, then phone canvassing where i had to set three apointments, a ride along with a seasoned rep, and my final interview was with Cheif Sales Officer. The process gives insight to the candidate on what the actual job will be like which is helpful to me to see if this is what i really want, and also to Paycom to see if I was who they really want. This made going into the job easy because I was prepared for what day to day would be like. Paycom wants people who are real and motivated.

Interview Questions
    • How I would keep myself motivated when I was already making more money than most my age?   Answer Question

Aug 20, 2013Representative

Thank you for discussing your interview experience. You are right in that we want our candidates to get a true feel for a day in the life of a Paycom sales representative, so they can determine if it ... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at Paycom in August 2013.

It was a 4 round interview process. 1st with the Denver office manager, 2nd with the regional manager, 3rd was an appointment setting session, and last was a final interview with the CSO.

The 1st interview went great! It was obvious that the sales manager was very passionate about Paycom and the future of the company. She seemed to have great interaction with the team and she was very cheerful. She made it very clear what she was looking for in a candidate and her expectations of a new hire.

The 2nd interview also went well. The regional manager was very nice and made me feel like I would be a great fit for the company.

The appointment setting session was very difficult, but it made me realize how exciting the job can be. It challenged me and made want to keep fighting through in order to set the appointments so I could make it to the next step.

Lastly, the interview with the CSO went okay. I don't think I delivered very well on my overall sales experience. He questioned me a lot about my reasons as to why I wanted to relocate to Denver.

I ended up getting asked to get more sales experience and come back and reapply to Paycom down the road. I was very disappointed, but I am confident I would have been a great fit for this company. The amount of pay is rediculous and I am planning on reapplying in another year or so!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about the persons who was ranked #1 in your last position. What did he/she do that you didn't do?   Answer Question

Oct 29, 2013Representative

Thank you for the detailed report of your experience. We encourage you to get some valuable sales experience and look forward to seeing your resume next year.