Paycom Interview Questions

Updated Jul 28, 2015

3.3

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Paycom (Atlanta, GA) in January 2012.

Interview

Just got back from the worst interview I ever had. When i got to the suite, two employees seemed to be gossipping, which happened to be my interviewer. She assured me that i only had to wait a few minutes. Instead,she went to her meeting where I had to wait another 40 minutes to be seen. She apologized, but really don't schedule me this early if you know you're having a meeting. When she sat down she proceeded to eat a hot pocket and text through most of my interview! I did not have her attention at all and she was quite rude. She criticized my resume which leads me to believe she didn't read it before hand. I couldn't get out fast enough!! When she told me there was multiple steps to this interview process, i wanted to laugh in her face. I would never work for this company if its acceptable for the manager to be this unprofessional!

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Paycom in June 2012.

Interview

Very short and very basic interview questions both in the phone and in-person interviews. Still, however, didn't get the offer to go to the next round (cold calling). Extremely competitive company.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Paycom (Washington, DC) in June 2012.

Interview

Contacted by an outside group to interview 1:1 with the sales manager. Met with the sales manager, went fantastic and said he wanted to skip the 2nd interview, and was offered to come in for a phone canvassing session the following morning and was told we'd set up an interview the day after the canvassing. Received a 5 minute briefing on what to say and how to close, wasn't helpful at all, just made me sound like an automated machine. Made cold calls to un-interested business owners and gatekeepers for 4 hours. Goal was 3 appointments, I made 1 appointment. Was assured that this doesn't effect their decision making about you. I had to leave at exactly 12pm which I told him when I agreed to the phone canvassing session the previous day, because I had an appointment 45 minutes away at 1pm. Manager was on the phone when I left and haven't spoken with him since, despite being praised by the sales reps and told that he would follow up with me. I touched base with the HR person that I had been speaking with and she got me his e-mail to help try and contact him. Still haven't heard anything but received an e-mail from the HR department saying I didn't get the job. Very unorganized, unprofessional, and the cold calling routine sucked. Also was supposed to be compensated $40 for the phone canvassing session, but I guarantee I will never it. Absolutely ridiculous that I put my neck on the line for them and threatened being late for my next appointment all because he liked me in the interview so much, yet two days later I'm given an automated 4 sentence e-mail saying no thanks. I definitely would not recommend wasting your time with this company, although the pay is good.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Paycom (Oklahoma City, OK).

Interview

Submitted resume and application in response to an advertisement for job opening. I then received a phone call to come in for an open interview/job fair type hiring process. I was interviewed by a H.R. person in an informal, casual atmosphere where they just kind of go over the basics with you and determine your interest level and qualification level. At that time I was advised that they would be narrowing down the group for final selection and that I would receive a call within a week if I was chosen for the next round of interviews but I did not hear from them again. I assume it was because I lacked enough experience. However the experience was very nice and professional and casual so there was no feeling of pressure or nervousness.

Interview Questions

• I did not think any of the questions were difficult or unexpected. At this level of interview, the questions were very generalized.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Paycom in October 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by two different recruiters - first the recruiter will give you a quick phone screening, then another recruiter called me 30 minutes later and did another phone screening before setting up an office interview the same week. The first interview in-office seemed very casual, she basically just wanted me to go through my resume, and carried on more of a casual conversation after that. When I asked if she had any more questions for me- she responded "no not really, when I have less questions that means I like you".... Seemed like an inexperienced interviewer. The office dress was not as professional as I had expected either, one girl in the office had on a dress you could actually see through. Aside from that, I was definitely impressed by the amount of money they said you could make in the beginning, it almost seemed too good to be true. However, this is definitely the factor that kept me really wanting to continue through the process. Next, I got called in for the phone canvassing. The team was super nice and very helpful in what works best on the phone when setting appointments. They said she gave me a great area to call, which meant she actually wanted to hire me. I set 3 appointments in the first 45 minutes of calling, so the office manager let me go an hour early- which was disappointing because I wanted to see how many I could set in the allotted time. The next step was an interview with the regional sales director via webcam- my recruiter set this up for the wrong day initially, but I thought it went well once I had the interview. The next step was when something really started to not feel right.... I was called to go on a ride-along with a sales rep.- I was also told if all went well with this then it would be the final step before an offer. The ride along was changed to lunch the following day, then I received text message an hour and half before I was to leave my house for lunch asking if I could come in for dinner instead, so I had to completely rearrange my schedule twice for the 2 hour drive each way. The reps who took me to dinner seemed to have no idea what was going on- they didn't know where I was in the interview process, they seemed like they didn't know what exactly we were going to dinner for... It also seemed like they were holding something back or I was missing something.... I was actually told that "sometimes the manager really likes people but just decides not to hire them after taking them through the interview process because they don't have the time or feel like training them...." At that point I was very confused as I thought I was interviewing for an open position that they needed to fill, not just going through the interview process for the sake of going through it. I was told I was moving on to the final interview round- only to be contacted later and told that "They were going pass"- again not a very professional way to tell someone you are not going to hire them (maybe "pursuing other candidates" or "opportunities" would have been a better way to phrase that). After being told all along that they really liked me and by the reps. that management wanted to hire me and then not being offered, I felt very strung along by the whole process. The interview process is tortuous as they keep telling you this is the last step and it isn't.... it seems like they think the only thing people have going on in their lives is this interview. Did they really need to take me through 5 whole steps to decide I wasn't the right person for the job? Especially, because any decent candidate probably has a ton of other interviews going on at the same time. Another red-flag is the fact that no one in the entire office had been a rep. for longer than 2.5 years.... and whenever it came up, anyone I talked to seemed very quick to cover-up why a person was no longer working there. Maybe it is because the company is growing so quickly, but I kind of got the impression either you are good enough to move up quickly to a manger status, or you quit from the intensity of the job. Seems like they draw in young, recent college grads. on the premise they are going to make a ridiculous amount of money. All in all there were some positives and negatives to the experience. Having a recruiter and a contact person is nice, a lot of companies are doing that these days. The other sales reps. seemed like they wanted you to work there- nice people. It is for the best I did not get an offer, after awkwardness of my last interview I had decided not to accept if I was offered. Just way too many red-flags during just the interviews, management seemed too inexperienced, seems like a temporary job. My advice would be to not be jaded by what they tell you that you can make there, they lead with the money thing for a reason. Go with a more recognizable, well-known company if you can.

Interview Questions

• "What are you going to buy with all the money you make at Paycom...?"   1 Answer

Nov 19, 2013 – Representative

We appreciate your feedback and offer our most sincere apology for any lapse in communication that may have occurred. We make sure to notify each candidate on the interview processes beforehand so ... More

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Florida (Uruguay)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Paycom (Florida (Uruguay)) in August 2012.

Interview

Initial recruiter call > Phone interview with regional manager > On-site interview with regional manager > Skype interview with national sales director > Shadowing (setting meetings)

Interview Questions

• When I asked Paycom about their employee tenure they gave very vague answers and kept referring to their "success stories".   1 Answer

Noticed that they battle extensive turnover in their sales roles during my interview process. Reached out to a few former employees on LinkedIn and asked about their experiences. Every one of them gave the same account of poor management, unreachable activity numbers and overworked territories.

Jun 26, 2013 – Representative

Thank you for your candid feedback. At Paycom, we have a number of success stories from within our sales organization. Our top reps are very successful and it shows in our growth. We are disappointed ... More

PHP Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Paycom (Oklahoma City, OK) in April 2015.

Interview

Began with a phone screening with a recruiter, traveled to Oklahoma City for onsite interview, was referred to a "Pre" developer job to gain extra experience with databases and php

Implementation Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Paycom (Baltimore, MD) in April 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and she was diligent in her duties and was very communicative. I took a personality assessment and a skills test in Microsoft excel. The tests were not difficult or too time consuming. Shortly thereafter I went in for an interview. The first portion was in person and the other was on webcam. The questions were very basic and not too deep. I was told I did a good job, but was not offered the position. They said they were looking for someone "more analytical" which is slightly vague. They also said that I didn't currently have experience doing some of the things that they were looking for in a new candidate; which wasn't true. My resume was very detailed and specific. It aligned very well with their job description so that was a bit frustrating.

Payroll Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Paycom (Oklahoma City, OK) in July 2013.

Interview

I came for my interview and was told to come back another day because all their managers were in meetings. The recruiter even got my name wrong. After I came back for a rescheduled interview, there was no apology or knowledge that I didn't get to see anyone the first time. I find it ironic that this company offers employment management services when they can't even manage potential employees. I don't even want to know how they handle their actual employees. My interviewer told me they would have a decision at the beginning of the next week. It's been five weeks since the interview... I never heard back from them.

Interview Questions

• Why would you want to work for a payroll and employment management company that's completely different from what you majored in college?   1 Answer

Aug 22, 2013 – Representative

I am sorry to hear about your experience as this is certainly not standard Paycom protocol. We value each of our potential hires time and have looked into the issue at hand.

Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Paycom (Parsippany, NJ) in September 2014.

Interview

Recruiters walk you through the process as do the managers. It is easy to get hired if you have half a brain and you can convince people you are willing to work ridiculous hours and hit quotas no matter what it takes.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to relocate?   1 Answer

Ignore the recruiters and the managers because they are the ones that stand to make money if you get hired. Here is the deal. If you have a fluid life, and are willing to relocate thousands of miles away, feel free to work here. All reviews about crazy hours, no time off, but incredible compensation is true. However, do not plan to stay put in your current location. Once succeed for a few years you will be asked to relocate to manage an office. If you decline, your next option will be to travel for weeks/months on end to territories outside of your current state for sales work. If you refuse that, good luck keeping your job. People that do not move up to manager, and refuse to travel, will definately be let go. Don't believe me? Go on Linkedin and try to find sales reps or exec reps that remained employed in their original location for more than 5 years. 870 employees and you may find 1 or 2 existing exec reps that were not let go or did not move on. Why do they do this? Well to start, you make 50k. In a few years? 120k! Why pay someone triple the pay for cold calling and canvassing when you can use your world renowned training to get young employees up to speed quickly and pay 50k for similar results. It's all about profit margins people. If you are looking for job security, longevity in your current location, look elsewhere.