Paycom

Getting the Interview

133 candidate interviews

Outside Sales Consultant- Troy, MI (Detroit) Interview

Troy, MI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Paycom in March 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process seems a bit daunting at first as it has a few steps but if you get the offer, TAKE IT! Phone screen with recruiter, interview with area manager, phone canvassing session, Skype interview with regional and then with CSO. The recruiter I had was amazing and really put me at ease throughout the entire process. She would always be on top of what my next step was and would also stay after hours to help me prepare and navigate their web application when I had questions one night.

The manager was really nice and has a lot of experiences with the company. When I left I felt totally at ease as she was very excited about Paycom an the opportunities. This interview was more conversational and very relaxing although I was warned she is a tough cookie to crack. She also offered me a lot of time to ask however many questions I wanted and that was nice because I could tell she cared and wanted me to be just as excited about paycom as she was.

For the phone canvassing session, I set three appointments. The main goal is to see if you are coachable, if you can talk easily to people over the phone and how you handle rejection. I actually enjoyed this part.

Interview with regional is tricky. You need to make sure your Skype and webcam interview skills are down (look into the camera, not the screen, etc.). The regional I interviewed with was very friendly but asked tough questions.

The last step is the most stressful because you've made it so far. The CSO is very professional but wants to know what drives you. You need to throw out your book answers for interviews and just be yourself and really explain what makes you different than the next guy. He asked some tough questions but is a stand up guy who is easy to talk to and is extremely charismatic.

I actually work here now and can tell you it's not a scam as some of the reviews say, especially in regards to the phone canvassing "just to get appointments". I actually saw a few of the phone canvassers who have come in actually have claimed fake appointments which has ruined their chance. Also, the appointments I made on phone canvassing I got to go on when I got hired. Trust the process and DON'T MAKE FAKE APPOINTMENTS!!!

The interview process although tough is worth it as it is important to make sure you are a fit for them and vise versa. This company cares about its employees more than any company I've worked for and I feel blessed going to work every day.

Interview Question – As stated above, you really need to dig deep about what makes you get up in the morning and it shouldn't be financially driven unless its generous. They will ask you later in the process what you'd do if you were making all kinda of money and blowing it in Vegas would not be the thing to say. This company wants to understand what make you tick and wants to see depth.   View Answer

Software Development Intern Interview

Oklahoma City, OK

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Paycom in May 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online, sent them a copy of my resume and filled out a series of online forms. I received an email after they tried to call me a few times. (Foolishly, I didn't set up a voice mailbox.) We talked on the phone briefly when I called them back. We talked about the job requirements and I briefly explained some of the stuff on my resume. They offered me an on-site interview, and a few days after the interview, I received a phone call with the job offer.

Interview Question – The interviewer didn't really ask me anything that difficult. He simply asked me about relevant coursework and I told him about the programming classes I took.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The workplace regulations were a bit too strict for me. They seemed to enforce a dress code.

Jun 26, 2013

Thank you for your feedback and best of luck as you begin your career. Do keep in mind that most companies will have some form of a dress code policy and at Paycom ours is business casual.

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Paycom in April 2013.

Interview Details – Called by recruiter, was prepped about how detailed orientated the company is with employment dates and such. Then moved to face to face with branch manager,- very pleasant and fun experience. Moved on to the Skype call with the regional VP who was tougher and then a 4 hour phone canvasing session in the office then followed by a final Skype interview with the CFO. Grueling.

Interview Question – Why haven't you stayed with a company longer than four years? Huh??   Answer Question

Jun 26, 2013

Thank you for going through our interview process. While our process is long, we do feel it helps both parties realize if it is a good fit moving forward. We wish you nothing but the best in your ... More

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Florida (Uruguay)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Paycom in August 2012.

Interview Details – Initial recruiter call > Phone interview with regional manager > On-site interview with regional manager > Skype interview with national sales director > Shadowing (setting meetings)

Interview Question – When I asked Paycom about their employee tenure they gave very vague answers and kept referring to their "success stories".   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Noticed that they battle extensive turnover in their sales roles during my interview process. Reached out to a few former employees on LinkedIn and asked about their experiences. Every one of them gave the same account of poor management, unreachable activity numbers and overworked territories.

Jun 26, 2013

Thank you for your candid feedback. At Paycom, we have a number of success stories from within our sales organization. Our top reps are very successful and it shows in our growth. We are disappointed ... More

Interviewed at Paycom

Interview Details – Two interviews. First interview was on the phone, asks very broad sales-type questions like "why would sales be a good fit for you". If the interview goes well, you get a second interview with a branch manager in person at the office. Interview is structured the same, asking questions that seek out high energy, socially ambitious and soon-to-be leaders.

Interview Question – Why are you pursuing a career in sales?   View Answer

Bloomington, MN

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Paycom.

Interview Details – DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THIS COMPANY!!! I am 99% certain that this whole interview process is a scam. They first have you talk to a recruiter for a phone screen. The recruiter is awesome and helps you out through the entire interview process; giving you tips and advice to succeed. Then you meet with the office manager, then you do a web cam interview with the district manager. After that they have you come in for a phone canvassing session. This is where you get scammed for free labor. I went into the phone canvassing session. Your goal is to set 3 appointments for them and then you can move on. Well, while I was there I only set 2 appointments. But I talked with the other current sales reps at the office and only one of them set 3 appointments that day. And he was strutting around the office acting all proud he set 3. The other two reps only set 1 or 2 appointments. So after the phone canvassing session the manager told me that I didn't reach my goal of 3 appointments and would like me to come back in to give it another shot because he likes me. I told him that I think I did excellent considering I had such little knowledge and training for this canvassing session, and I still did just as well as two of his sales reps in the office. All he could say was that I didn't set 3 appointments. So, to conclude this review, this company is a scam. They interview people and bring them through the process so they come to the phone canvassing session and set appointments for the company. Then they are told they are not the right fit for the company and the manager keeps those appointments for his own sales. They are exploiting hard working candidates for free labor. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THIS COMPANY! DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THIS COMPANY!!! DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THIS COMPANY!!!

Interview Question – This company is a scam. They tell you they have open sales positions but really they just want to bring you through the interview process and exploit your free labor during the phone canvassing session.   Answer Question

Jun 26, 2013

We are sorry you feel this way and assure you that the interview process is not a scam. This is the standard process that all hired sales reps at Paycom must go through. While it is a rigorous ... More

Sales Representative

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Paycom.

Interview Details – Interviewed and was then given a verbal offer for a position. Days later head recruiter calls and stated there was not a spot available for me and best of luck in my job search.

Had to travel twice to the office for an interview

Interview Question – Are you a hunter?   Answer Question

Outside Sales Consultant Interview

Outside Sales Consultant
Lewisville, TX

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Paycom in April 2013.

Interview Details – This had to be the most unprofessional interview I have ever encountered. The manager was about 10 minutes late, it lasted all of 10 minutes, and not only did he not ask me any questions about my background, but whenever he did decide to speak up he wouldn't even look me in the eye. He said he did have a concern that I was coming from Pharmaceutical Sales and the sales are different, but sir...look at my resume, I clearly had the experience in transactional sales, way more than my 2 years in pharma. I closed for the next steps at the end of the interview and his response was, "its too early to tell" but got received a rejection email the next morning. I would have declined the offer, anyway.

Jun 26, 2013

We sincerely apologize for your experience and are working to ensure this is a one-time scenario.

Sales Representative

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Paycom.

Interview Details – 4 Step interview process. Cold calling for 4 hours to set3 appointments after your initial interview with regional manager. Then webcam interview with director and CSO.

Interview Question – How do we know you're not going to give up when it gets tough?   Answer Question

Jun 26, 2013

Thank you for providing your insight.

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Paycom in February 2013.

Interview Details – Paycom has a long interview process. It is my understanding that they are trying to make sure that the company is a good fit for them and for you. My first interview was a phone screen with a recruiter I was working with. They told me the details of the position, comp plan, etc. I was excited to learn more about Paycom because it is a growing company and I wanted to get into outside sales. I then went to an in person interview with the hiring manager. We spent about 30 minutes discussing my background and more details about what I was looking for in a career. I was then moved on to the phone canvassing session. This is a 4 hour block of calling with the rest of the sales reps on the team. You are calling into prospects using other outsourcing companies. I really enjoyed spending time with the rest of the staff, but was not able to set appointments. I actually appreciated the session, as I realized that maybe I wasn't cut out for sales and had no desire to cold call in the future. Overall it was a great experience and I enjoyed my time in the interview process here. I believe that had I made it past the calling I would have had an interview with a vp, a ride along, and a web cam with the CSO.

Interview Question – What motivates you?   Answer Question

Jun 26, 2013

We greatly appreciate your feedback and are thankful that you have shared your experience. A profession in sales may not be in your future, but we hope you nothing but the best as you move forward in ... More
Interviews for Top Jobs at Paycom