Paycom

2 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

New Client Implementation Specialist Interview

New Client Implementation Specialist
Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Paycom in November 2011.

Interview Details – I applied for the position through one of the major job sites and was contacted by phone about 10 days later by a corporate recruiter from the home office in Oklahoma City. After a very cordial phone screening I was invited to the next step, which was a series of online skill (mostly math) and personality tests.

My gut instinct is that the personality test is designed to determine whether or not the applicant is a team player (within the context of an aggressive sales organization). The same questions are asked multiple times in slightly different ways to help ensure you are answering truthfully. One question which pops up in various ways involves "Are rules meant to be broken?".

After completing the online tests I was contacted within a day or so by the same corporate recruiter. I was invited to a 1:1 interview with the Regional Manager, which I accepted.
This is the point at which I began to sense something was a little "different" about the company's culture.

I am currently employed, and I disclosed that during the initial phone screening. When the time came to schedule the 1:1 interview, I got a vague sense that scheduling the interview to happen in the late afternoon was not that easy. While the recruiter consistently said that he (and the HR dept) respected my work ethic, it came across that they are not accustomed to working with the already-employed. An unemployed applicant has much more freedom in scheduling and is expected to work around the interviewer's schedule. My case was different and I think it sort of threw them a little.

Having said that, the 1:1 interview with the regional manager went very, very well. I really liked him and what he had to say about the company and the position itself. There was one red flag, however: I asked him whether the position was created or vacated. He said that the position was technically vacated because the previous employee was let go after one week. This was surprising considering the rather in-depth interviewing processes they seem to use. That must have been one helluva week.

I was invited to the next step: a webcam interview (from the regional manager's office) with HR people in Oklahoma.

An interview time was scheduled, and again it was brought up by the recruiter that the HR people interviewing me "respected" my work schedule, etc. And once again I got the vibe that respectful or not, they weren't accustomed to the applicant being in the driver's seat regarding scheduling.

A couple of days before the interview date the recruiter called to say that the interview would need to be rescheduled. Some sort of major deal was being closed at the office and the regional manager (my 1:1 interview) would be too busy. This did not seem kosher. I wasn't interviewing with the regional manager. To all appearances his sole duty would have been to turn on the computer, log in and let me chat with the folks in Oklahoma. I didn't press for more details, but the recruiter's voice patterns and the story itself raised a red flag. We discussed a possible reschedule date/time and concluded the call.

That evening, I called the recruiter, and left him a voice mail stating that I would be available at a certain time, and asked him to call me back to confirm the appointment. I also asked that he provide me with the names of the individuals whom I would be meeting via webcam.

The next morning: no call. Later in the morning: an email from someone at Paycom I had never heard of, with the standard, rejection form letter text that one usually gets after submitting the initial application.

And that was it. I kid you not. It was one of the most unprofessional moves I've ever encountered during the interview process.

So, here are my perceptions:
Despite having been in business since 1998, they seem to have a start-up culture, at least at the corporate level.

They are undeniably sales-heavy, with heavy goals. The position I applied for was not a sales position, but I suspect that I would have ended up being involved in closings, despite the fact that the position is technical in nature.
The company is privately held and there was very little information out there to give me a good feel for what they're really like.

I could not, in good conscience, recommend applying to or working for Paycom.

Interview Question – There were no "gotcha" questions during any phase of the interview process.   View Answer

New Client Implementation Specialist Interview

New Client Implementation Specialist

The process took 6 months - interviewed at Paycom in September 2011.

Interview Details – I will warn of length now. This journey was excruciating.

I had applied to Paycom in September 2010, I received a call within Three (3) Days by a Recruiter at the Oklahoma HQ. (I applied for the branch in Los Angeles). The interview with the Recruiter (who had only been with the company three-weeks per LinkedIn) went great. He invited me to take an online math and logic assessment. He called me the next morning stating that I did well and invited me to meet with the local Regional manager.

The next week I visited the office and had a FANTASTIC interview with the regional manager. He was a great guy and felt like he was on my team. We spoke at length and assured me I would hear from him within two weeks. Two weeks came and went so I attempted to call and e-mail with no luck. Approaching the three week mark I received a computer generate form e-mail rejection letter that listed the position I applied for incorrectly.

I decided to forget about the company. Just before Thanksgiving I received a call from the Regional Manager (now TWO (2) MONTHS later) apologizing for not getting back to me sooner. He explained the position was canceled by corporate but I was his number one choice. He actually OFFERED me the job in the voice message, but when speaking to him he explained there was actually ANOTHER interview. He invited me to his office in the next week to Web Cam with a few people over in Corporate.

When I entered the office, all of the current employees came up to me giving advice as if I already had the job. I felt great.

After the interview I received a call from the Regional Sales manager, just after receiving a SECOND form rejection e-mail. He explained that the Corporate guys did not like me, but if I could convince HIS manager then I could start working here anyways. He gave me her number and scheduled a time for me to contact her. I tried several times with no luck. Occasionally getting her on the phone when she was driving, saying she would contact me back later in the evening BUT NEVER DID. This is when the Regional Sales manager began TEXT MESSAGING me as a form of communications, occasionally have near to full conversations. It was awkward, but I felt he was fighting for me. Eventually I was able to land his Manager on the phone. About THREE WEEKS after attempting initial contact with her. The conversation was less than 5 minutes long and she said I was great for the position, she would talk to corporate and they would bring me on board.

A week went by and I didn't hear anything AGAIN. I contacted the regional sales manager who called me close to a week later. He said that corporate still wasn't convinced and that I needed to persuade the Chief Financial Office of the company. I was a little confused by this. He told me he would call me back with the to set up a date. Less than a hour later the original Corporate Recruiter left me a voice message trying to set up the interview for the FOLLOWING Friday. I immediately called back (less than five minutes) saying the time would be great. The Corporate Recruiter then stated that "things changes" and would contact me within 24 hours with an updated appointed.

At this point I gave up. That was One Month ago. I stopped trying to contact the company. Should they call I will either accept an offer and gladly work for the company OR reject any more steps. this was all a waste of my time that I could have spent looking for other jobs.

Also I did not mention that each rejection I received canceled me out in the system so I was requested to REAPPLY each time. What a waste of time.

Interview Question – Would you stay with our company if you received a better offer elsewhere?   Answer Question

Worked for Paycom? Contribute to the Community!