Paycom

Updated Aug 13, 2014

3.3

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Outside Sales Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Paycom in July 2014.

The interviewer was nice, but seemed to be very tense. She didn't ask me any difficult questions. We spent about 45 minutes talking. Paycom wants to see that you are really into sales and have a background of customer service or sales. It wasn't stressful. I saw many young people working in the office. I had impression that the company is not hiring people older than 30.

Interview Questions
  • Questions were easy. For example: "Where do you want to be in five years?" or "Why do you want to work for us?".   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Paycom

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Paycom in February 2014.

Interview went pretty well, I had thought. The interviewer did seem to rush through the questions a little bit, and maybe that was because she made her mind up pretty hastily. I mentioned that I wanted to work in order to make money and be able to do things, and I think she took my use of the phrase "work/life balance" to mean that I wanted a ton of vacation time. If I were to guess, that misunderstanding would be why I didn't get a second interview.

Interview Questions
    • Probably when she asked me if I was prepared to work more than forty hours a week, just because I would have thought that my previous answers made it clear that I was.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Paycom in January 2014.

The process first began with an phone screening process that was relatively basic. They went over past work experiences, education, etc. The next step was a one on one interview with the district manager. This was laid back and she asked some simple questions about where you want to be in 5 years, what you are looking for in a position, what are the three most important things in your life, etc. Then a phone canvassing session in which you needed to set up 3 appointments to move on. The first time I did not meet the requirement but they asked me to come back for another time. The second time I could not stay for the full 4 hours, unfortunately, and only set up one appointment. After that I was not asked back for the next step. Still, it was great experience, I learned a lot and it helped me land a different sales position with one of Paycom biggest competitors!

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult to answer. During the phone canvassing session try to sell yourself and not the product as best as you can. That was my ultimate downfall. I did not feel comfortable selling a product I did not know.   Answer Question

Outside Sales Consultant Interview

I was initially contacted by a recruiter from their HQ in Oklahoma and we set up a phone interview for the following week at 2:15 pm. When the phone interview came around, they were 15 minutes late but all went well and I was advanced to the next round. Next, I had a webcam interview with one of the hiring managers. This interview was scheduled on a Monday at 4:00 pm. Yet again Paycom was late for their own interview at a time they scheduled! She was 20 minutes late to the interview and it may have been longer if I did not call my recruiter after 10 minutes of waiting idly by to ask her to remind the hiring manager.The interview went really well and before the meeting concluded I asked about next steps from here (i.e. what I could expect) and she told me that I was a great candidate, possessed good qualities, and that she was definitely going to advance me through the hiring process. She said she saw no reason why they wouldn't. She then went on to give me advice in preparing for the next round, which was the phone canvassing round. Before the interview came to an end, she said she would get in touch with my recruiter and that my recruiter would ask for my schedule so they could set up a time for the next interview. 4 days pass and I receive a rejection email from my recruiter. I immediately replied with confusion and told her exactly what the hiring manager told me and she responded back saying, "I'm Sorry. She decided to move forward with a candidate that was a better fit. Thanks for your interest." ...Really?! That is very ambiguous and horrible treatment. I'm glad I got to see the company for what they really were and did not advance, I wouldn't want to spend my time working with a company that can't treat people with respect. I should have seen the signs from the beginning...15 minutes late to a phone interview and 20 minutes late to the next interview, which I had to call and remind them of!

Interview Questions
    • The interview process isn't that tough if you do your research and come prepared.   Answer Question

Paycom Response

Jan 31, 2014Representative

We do our very best to respect the time of every candidate that enters our process. Because we offer protected territories and don’t overstaff our markets, we only ask a select group to move onto the ... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lewisville, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lewisville, TX

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Paycom in April 2013.

This had to be the most unprofessional interview I have ever encountered. The manager was about 10 minutes late, it lasted all of 10 minutes, and not only did he not ask me any questions about my background, but whenever he did decide to speak up he wouldn't even look me in the eye. He said he did have a concern that I was coming from Pharmaceutical Sales and the sales are different, but sir...look at my resume, I clearly had the experience in transactional sales, way more than my 2 years in pharma. I closed for the next steps at the end of the interview and his response was, "its too early to tell" but got received a rejection email the next morning. I would have declined the offer, anyway.

Paycom Response

Jun 26, 2013Representative

We sincerely apologize for your experience and are working to ensure this is a one-time scenario.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Paycom.

phone interview, then a face to face interview with the sales manager, then a face to face with a regional manager, then a 4 hour session of phone canvassing (cold calling), then possibly a ride along with a current sales rep, then a final interview with a head hauncho. Honestly, I may have missed a step...its a grueling process!

Interview Questions
    • Just your typical interview questions about past sales experiences and a "tell me how you handled a challenging situation in your sales career" etc. Honestly, I was not a fan of this company. They miss communicated my interview date and time (frustrating) then, they wanted me to come back in for another phone canvassing session after I had already proven I could do it. Lastly, the sales manager was a huge B****. You could definitely tell she was on her high horse and was not coming down. Obviously not all their managers are like this, but this one def was!   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Paycom.

I applied online directly through the website. I received an email a few weeks later saying that they "decided to pursue other options for this position at this time." A few weeks after that I was contacted by the corporate recruiter on a Friday saying they had come across my resume on CareerBuilder and wanted to talk to me about Paycom. She conducted a brief screening over the phone and said that she wanted to have me meet with the Sales Manager at the nearest branch office the following Monday. She said she would email me information confirming my interview. I did not receive the email till Saturday night (which I thought was odd). I went in to interview with the sales manager. Typical sales interview questions. He said he would let me know if I make it to the next step via the Corporate Recruiter. Later that week I was emailed the same email that I had received the first time I had applied saying again that they "decided to pursue other options for this position at this time."

Interview Questions
    • If I asked your current boss what he thought you needed to work on, what would he say?   View Answer
    • I see that you have a biology background, why do you want to work here? Why not go into medical device sales?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online – interviewed at Paycom.

Really good base salary plus commission. They have to offer that because the job takes hard work and endless hours of cold calling. The human resources team in OKC were really nice. I was excited about the job until I walked into the Charlotte office. Very cluttered group of cubicles with boxes everywhere. The job might be for some people but wasnt right for me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vienna, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vienna, VA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Paycom in August 2012.

I got there and they were running late in interviews i had to wait 30 minutes. My second interview was skype and was interrupted by a phone call.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when someone gave you tough feedback what did you do and how did you handle it?

Tell me about a time you persuaded someone to do what you wanted and how did you do that?
        Answer Question