Paycom Outside Sales Representative Interview Questions

Updated Aug 4, 2015

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Boston, MA) in April 2015.

Interview

Contacted via linkedin and set up initial phone screen that included general resume overview, getting to know you questions. From there, I was invited to an in-person interview in their Boston office to meet with the Regional Sales Manager. We met for about 30 minutes or so and discussed the company and my past experience. At the end of the meeting he invited me to participate in a 3-hour phone canvassing session where if you are able to schedule 3 meetings with prospective clients, you are offered the position. I returned a few days later for the phone canvassing session to discover the office had a total of 5 employees (very very shady) and the general office space was a mess (cardboard boxes everywhere, papers scattered all over the ground); this was a huge red flag because I had been told that they moved to this office space about a year ago, so there was no reason for it to be in such disarray. First, I did a mock phone call (keep in mind, these are all cold calls) with one employee and then was led to cubicle and handed a list of about 150+ companies and their phone numbers/contact name along with which payroll software they were thought to be on. I was told that I would receive feedback from the sales manager and the other employees about halfway through the process, I never received any feedback and the sales manager never emerged from his corner office. After about the first 20 phone calls I placed, it was abundantly clear that Paycom had a bad reputation and that 9 times out of 10 people were not even interested in discussing Paycom and either hung up on me mid-sentence or asked why they had not been taken off the calling list yet. The day that I happened to come in for the phone canvassing session happened to be a holiday so many places were closed. At the end of the 3 hours, I was told that they could not offer me the position because I had not been able to schedule any meetings (company policy states they are not allowed to make offers if you do not schedule 3+ meetings- a lot harder than it sounds given Paycom's reputation) but they were impressed with my attitude and perseverance and that they wanted me to come back and try again. I was contacted a few weeks later to schedule a time for me to come in for a phone canvassing session, to which I politely declined.

Interview Questions

• What books are you reading right now? What is your past experience? Why sales?   Answer Question

Jul 27, 2015 – Representative

Thank you for taking time to share your experience. As you saw firsthand, we are meticulous when adding talent to our award-winning sales force. Not only do we want to hire those with specific ... More

Other Interview Reviews for Paycom

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Kansas City, MO) in March 2015.

Interview

I was reached out by an outside recruiter about the position. Decided to come in and interview with the sales manager. Easy conversation, very normal sales interview and lasted about 30-45 minutes long. I came back for the second step which was the phone canvass interview with the team. They did a great job of prepping me and what to expect. The team was also helpful while I was there. However, I did not get offered the position after that but I will continue to keep in touch as my sales career develops. The manager also took time to respond to my email with feedback from the interview process which was appreciated.

Interview Questions

• What are you passionate about outside of work? What do you enjoy doing when you aren't working?   Answer Question
    • If you could completely redesign your career path from scratch what would you do differently and why?   1 Answer
    • How would others describe you?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Charlotte, NC) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process was 4 steps: A phone call with the recruiter, in-person interview with the Manager for the specific office location that you are applying for, a phone canvassing session and a final interview with the Regional Manager. The first 2 interviews were very conversational but still really dug deep to understand why I wanted to work there and how I would be an asset to the team, as well as personal goals and drives. The 3rd interview was very unique and I had never done anything similar in the past when interviewing for sales positions. Phone canvassing allowed me to see what I would be doing on the job and gives you an honest view of whether or not you're going to be up for being in a "hunter" role. You will be on the phones talking with prospects and will be responsible for setting 3 appointments to meet with them (you will not go on those unless you are offered the job). The reps in the office helped to give advice and a simple talk tract to use. Again, this was a great way for me to see if this was something that I was interested in doing for the next few years. There is music playing in the background and it's actually really fun to see how many appointments you can set, along with the other reps. The final interview was via webcam and again was very conversational.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, MN

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Bloomington, MN) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. They connected me to them directly. I was asked thoroughly about sales success in the past before the interview. Frankly, the sales internship I had before was not successful. But I made this clear to the staffing agency who was handling the exchange. I then went in for an in-person interview with the sales manager of the office. To be fair, I don't think she received my sales success information, but she shut me down almost immediately for lack of sales success. If this is the kind of personality and sales structure that Paycom exemplifies in their sales managers, I'm glad I didn't move on. It's a lot of money to drive two hours for an interview to be shut down almost immediately. It's shameful. I honestly just wish they were more respectful in the interview process because candidates matter too and can take their skills elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself, Talk me through resume, sales experiences, etc   Answer Question

Jun 8, 2015 – Representative

We value all of our candidates time, and apologize for any lack of communication between the staffing agency and our sales manager. This is not the norm, as our managers participate in recruitment ... More

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Paycom.

Interview

The Paycom recruiter emailed me regarding what to expect for the face-to face interview in Portland, OR, which I was told not to bring anything. The manager interviewing me was double booked and had me sit in the conference room so he could print my resume. When it came to making regular conversation he was a great guy to talk to, but in the interview process I was bombarded with questions. I understand that this is an executive position. However, it seemed like her had pre-planned questions instead of asking me questions about my answers. One question was, "Where do you see yourself in five years?" I said I would like to be an account executive for Paycom. After driving 50 minutes for an interview, this meeting lasted 15 minutes because he pictured me as an an "Account executive." Apparently they didn't like ambition

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Oklahoma City, OK) in December 2014.

Interview

I applied for the position through a recruiter who put me in contact with my AWESOME Paycom recruiter, Ali. Ali reached out to me and completely prepared me for the interview with the sales office manager. I met with him and left really wanting to work for Paycom. After meeting with him Ali called and let me know I made it to the next round of interviews. I did a webcam interview with the Regional Manager. Really enjoyed speaking with her and it was a really great interview. After that, I had to do the phone portion then I was moved on to our CSO, Jeff York. It was great interviewing with someone who had built the company and I knew then they valued their employees.

Interview Questions

• What can you bring to our sales office that we don't already have?   Answer Question

Jul 27, 2015 – Representative

Thank you for sharing your interview experience with others!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paycom (Tulsa, OK) in December 2014.

Interview

Fairly easy interview process. The recruiter will email you information on the indicidual you are meeting with and tell you to dress business professional. Everyone I came into contact was extremely helpful and professional. The only difficult part of the interviews is the calling portion. It can be pretty hit or miss.

Interview Questions

• Simple questions: what do you know about Paycom? Tell me about yourself. What can you bring to the company? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? What experience in Sales do you have? Etc.   Answer Question

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Interview

There is something up with this company that is very wrong somewhere....! I read in one of the reviews from someone that was in the office, that they don't seem to hire people over 30. Maybe this is the case. The people in HR seem to screen you OUT instead of in. They use a very exclusive process (as opposed to inclusive) based on metrics that are obviously illegal -- but you cannot prove. The HR person didn't even take the time to call me back and when I contacted the sales manager directly, he seemed just as uptight close-minded and in the box as the rest of the gang! I could feel energetically this was NOT a match and I am glad I was not even called to waste my time any further with this company! They advertise for the SAME position, over, and over and over again! That should indicate something!

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Paycom (Austin, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

The interview process at Paycom was very extensive! They really only hire the best of the best to work for them! I had 3 offers on the table while interviewing with Paycom, and I still chose Paycom. The first step was a face to face interview with the Austin sales manager, it was about 30-35 minutes. The second step was the prospecting step. I came in for a half morning from 8am-12:00pm and was able to meet the entire team and work 1 on 1 with the Austin sales manager. I jumped on the phones and started dialing in to companies to set up a time to drop off some information. I was told I needed to set 3 appointments, which I did! I loved this step because I was able to see, first hand exactly what I was getting myself in to. The culture of the Austin office was incredible! I came in and the sales professional there were so welcoming and willing to help me out. It was that moment that I knew I wanted to be a part of this great company. The final step was an interview with the regional VP, which was conducting via GoTo meeting. The final step lasted about 35 minutes as well. My Paycom recruiter called me a few minutes after I left the office to check in with me and let me know she was offering me a position with Paycom. I couldn't have made it through the process without the help of my recruiter! Anytime I had a question, it was answered immediately and she was rooting for me the entire time! Very grateful to have been offered a position with Paycom.

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Denver, CO) in October 2014.

Interview

The interview process was very comprehensive- I interviewed with several different managers (on the phone, in person, and via webcam) and met the team and went on a ride-along appointment with another sales representative. I got a good idea of the company culture through the interview process, and by the time I was hired I felt that I understood what my role would be like. All the managers and employees were very helpful and welcoming throughout the process.

Interview Questions

• What are your short term and long term financial and professional goals?   Answer Question
    • What is the hardest thing you have ever had to overcome?   1 Answer