Paycom Outside Sales Representative Interview Questions

Updated Aug 4, 2015

3.4

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom in August 2011.

Interview

Tough interview, four phases--phone interview with recruiter, 1-1 with area sales manager, followed by interview with regional manager, followed by video interview with CEO

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I didn't try to negotiate, but I think it's definitely good to try--they might bump you up 5k if you have sales experience

Other Interview Reviews for Paycom

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Paycom (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

Called by recruiter, was prepped about how detailed orientated the company is with employment dates and such. Then moved to face to face with branch manager,- very pleasant and fun experience. Moved on to the Skype call with the regional VP who was tougher and then a 4 hour phone canvasing session in the office then followed by a final Skype interview with the CFO. Grueling.

Interview Questions

• Why haven't you stayed with a company longer than four years? Huh??   Answer Question

Jun 26, 2013 – Representative

Thank you for going through our interview process. While our process is long, we do feel it helps both parties realize if it is a good fit moving forward. We wish you nothing but the best in your ... More

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Tampa, FL) in April 2014.

Interview

The interview process was very challenging but you can tell the company really cares about who they hire and wants it to be the right fit. You can tell the manager cared a lot about the culture of the office and wanted to hire someone that fit in well with the dynamic of the team. The PC session was challenging but gave a lot of insight into how the position would be and the team was very helpful. I did not make it to the final interview.

Interview Questions

• What is the best and worst time in your life thus far?   Answer Question

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom in August 2014.

Interview

I want to start off by saying this is an excellent opportunity, if you can get through the interview process. I initially applied to the position but did not hear back right away. I was called about a month afterwards, and the voicemail was their HR Recruiter asking me to call them back. When I did, they pretty much immediately started an interview, asking a few basic questions. They then informed me they were going to schedule me to meet with the Sales Manager. They provided me with the information via phone and email, along with tips and information about the company as well as videos explaining their product. I came in one morning for the interview, about fifteen minutes early, and waited until about fifteen minutes after the original scheduled time. I expected this, as I had already read that they had their sales meeting that morning. The manager, after the meeting, immediately approached me and brought me into the office for the interview, which was about a half hour to fourty five minutes long. Typical interview, hardest question asked why I think I'm different than all of the other people that come in. After closing the interview asking what I needed to do next, and what the next step was, I was granted the chance to come in for a phone canvassing session. I was contacted by the HR Recruiter again, and he gave me the details, and also asked how the interview went. This time around, the email he provided had considerably less information. When I came in for the phone canvassing session, I sat down with all of the current sales reps and they shared information about themselves. Everyone there was very friendly. They also did some role-playing, and had me join in to warm up. They sat me down at a desk and gave me basic instructions, and let me get to it. I was asked to schedule 3 appointments within about a four hour period of time. They provided me with a list of leads to call, and a computer to use if necessary. I was not able to schedule all three appointments, but the Sales Manager indicated that they would look into the potential for me to continue. I was informed via email a few days later that they were moving on without me. POSITIVES: Everyone in the process was very friendly, helpful, and were genuinely interested in providing me with the best opportunity. The opportunity itself is there, as the product they are selling is ACTUALLY something beneficial, and can legitimately help the customers. NEGATIVES: The phone canvassing session may be a test of skill on the phone and ability to adapt, but no one is sitting with you when you're doing the calls, so how can they see if you are adapting, learning, and changing what you're doing? Also, when you only get to voicemails, it isn't possible to meet the goal. There is no point in wasting time leaving voicemails, because you don't know if you're coming back. The other issue is that they provide you with tons of information on Paycom earlier in the process, as well as some basic scripts to help during the phone session, BUT it doesn't help with objections you end up getting. Sales is obviously alot of "No's" before you get a "Maybe" or a "Yes". During the phone cavassing session, I noticed that only one person who worked there (and was trained) scheduled three or more appointments. Everyone else had two, one, or even none and they had already been trained and made knowledgable of the products. Having someone come in for a phone canvassing session MAY show you their potential, but testing someone on phones like that creates some very uncontrollable factors, and isn't a fair measurable test when the ONLY thing observied is the appointments set. That being said, I would like to mention, again, that I enjoyed myself during the process, and while it's unfortunate I did not continue through the process, I was treated very fairly, and very openly. Thank you for the opportunity, Paycom; I appreciate it!

Interview Questions

• It was not a question, but the situation with the phone canvassing. Be prepared as much as you possibly can.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Phoenix, AZ) in October 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by an internal recruiter through LinkedIn. I was not currently looking, but the compensation plan peaked my interest. She scheduled a phone interview to talk more about the opportunity. During the phone interview we just discussed the opportunity and what my career goals were. Next was an in person interview with the office Sales Manager and the Regional Manager. The interview lasted about 30-45 minutes and we just talked about life and career goals as well as my sales experience. Afterward I was contacted by the internal Paycom recruiter to setup a time to Phone Canvass. The expectation was to set 3 appointments off cold calls in the 3-1/2 hour period. It gives you a really good grasp of what the job is going to be like and what is expected of you. As soon as I booked my appointments I spoke with the Sales Manager to answer any questions I had and discuss how it went and then I was taken out to lunch by one of the Sales Representatives in the office. After we returned I was ushered on to a video interview with the Chief Sales Officer and he probed about my resume and previous experiences as well as shared his goals for the organization, it provided an incredible view into the sales organization of the company. After the interview with the CSO I was invited to stay the afternoon to listen to their sales call and at that time offered the job.

Interview Questions

• In regards to a salary, what do you think is a lot of money?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Paycom (Austin, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

The interview process at Paycom was very extensive! They really only hire the best of the best to work for them! I had 3 offers on the table while interviewing with Paycom, and I still chose Paycom. The first step was a face to face interview with the Austin sales manager, it was about 30-35 minutes. The second step was the prospecting step. I came in for a half morning from 8am-12:00pm and was able to meet the entire team and work 1 on 1 with the Austin sales manager. I jumped on the phones and started dialing in to companies to set up a time to drop off some information. I was told I needed to set 3 appointments, which I did! I loved this step because I was able to see, first hand exactly what I was getting myself in to. The culture of the Austin office was incredible! I came in and the sales professional there were so welcoming and willing to help me out. It was that moment that I knew I wanted to be a part of this great company. The final step was an interview with the regional VP, which was conducting via GoTo meeting. The final step lasted about 35 minutes as well. My Paycom recruiter called me a few minutes after I left the office to check in with me and let me know she was offering me a position with Paycom. I couldn't have made it through the process without the help of my recruiter! Anytime I had a question, it was answered immediately and she was rooting for me the entire time! Very grateful to have been offered a position with Paycom.

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Kansas City, MO) in March 2015.

Interview

I was reached out by an outside recruiter about the position. Decided to come in and interview with the sales manager. Easy conversation, very normal sales interview and lasted about 30-45 minutes long. I came back for the second step which was the phone canvass interview with the team. They did a great job of prepping me and what to expect. The team was also helpful while I was there. However, I did not get offered the position after that but I will continue to keep in touch as my sales career develops. The manager also took time to respond to my email with feedback from the interview process which was appreciated.

Interview Questions

• What are you passionate about outside of work? What do you enjoy doing when you aren't working?   Answer Question
    • If you could completely redesign your career path from scratch what would you do differently and why?   1 Answer
    • How would others describe you?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Oklahoma City, OK) in December 2014.

Interview

I applied for the position through a recruiter who put me in contact with my AWESOME Paycom recruiter, Ali. Ali reached out to me and completely prepared me for the interview with the sales office manager. I met with him and left really wanting to work for Paycom. After meeting with him Ali called and let me know I made it to the next round of interviews. I did a webcam interview with the Regional Manager. Really enjoyed speaking with her and it was a really great interview. After that, I had to do the phone portion then I was moved on to our CSO, Jeff York. It was great interviewing with someone who had built the company and I knew then they valued their employees.

Interview Questions

• What can you bring to our sales office that we don't already have?   Answer Question

Jul 27, 2015 – Representative

Thank you for sharing your interview experience with others!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Charlotte, NC) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process was 4 steps: A phone call with the recruiter, in-person interview with the Manager for the specific office location that you are applying for, a phone canvassing session and a final interview with the Regional Manager. The first 2 interviews were very conversational but still really dug deep to understand why I wanted to work there and how I would be an asset to the team, as well as personal goals and drives. The 3rd interview was very unique and I had never done anything similar in the past when interviewing for sales positions. Phone canvassing allowed me to see what I would be doing on the job and gives you an honest view of whether or not you're going to be up for being in a "hunter" role. You will be on the phones talking with prospects and will be responsible for setting 3 appointments to meet with them (you will not go on those unless you are offered the job). The reps in the office helped to give advice and a simple talk tract to use. Again, this was a great way for me to see if this was something that I was interested in doing for the next few years. There is music playing in the background and it's actually really fun to see how many appointments you can set, along with the other reps. The final interview was via webcam and again was very conversational.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Bloomington, MN) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. They connected me to them directly. I was asked thoroughly about sales success in the past before the interview. Frankly, the sales internship I had before was not successful. But I made this clear to the staffing agency who was handling the exchange. I then went in for an in-person interview with the sales manager of the office. To be fair, I don't think she received my sales success information, but she shut me down almost immediately for lack of sales success. If this is the kind of personality and sales structure that Paycom exemplifies in their sales managers, I'm glad I didn't move on. It's a lot of money to drive two hours for an interview to be shut down almost immediately. It's shameful. I honestly just wish they were more respectful in the interview process because candidates matter too and can take their skills elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself, Talk me through resume, sales experiences, etc   Answer Question

Jun 8, 2015 – Representative

We value all of our candidates time, and apologize for any lack of communication between the staffing agency and our sales manager. This is not the norm, as our managers participate in recruitment ... More