Paycom Outside Sales Representative Interview Questions

Updated Aug 4, 2015

3.4

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Paycom (Boston, MA).

Interview

The initial communication was through a recruiter on LinkedIn. He was very nice at first and I though he would be a big help. He first sent in my resume and then told me when to will out the application. He then told me I would have a phone interview on Monday and would let me know Friday what time this would be. Sunday came around and he never responded so I emailed him and he said it would be in the morning and to prep the following questions: Why would you be an asset to Paycom? How are you motivated? and Describe why sales (or something of that matter). The phone interviewer was very nice but did not quite understand my resume. She asked only one of those questions (motivation). She then asked me about my education (it is clearly written on my resume that I transferred schools) and she asked multiple times if I transferred and if I had an associates degree from the first school and multiple times I said no and stated that I transferred. She also asked me Why the city Boston? I thought that none of the questions she asked me actually qualified me for the position. The interview only lasted about 15 minutes. After the interview I sent a thank you email 24 hours later, never heard from her or the recruiter only received a general email from HR. I would NOT recommend this company or going through a recruiter for them, waste of time.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Paycom

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Interview

There is something up with this company that is very wrong somewhere....! I read in one of the reviews from someone that was in the office, that they don't seem to hire people over 30. Maybe this is the case. The people in HR seem to screen you OUT instead of in. They use a very exclusive process (as opposed to inclusive) based on metrics that are obviously illegal -- but you cannot prove. The HR person didn't even take the time to call me back and when I contacted the sales manager directly, he seemed just as uptight close-minded and in the box as the rest of the gang! I could feel energetically this was NOT a match and I am glad I was not even called to waste my time any further with this company! They advertise for the SAME position, over, and over and over again! That should indicate something!

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Paycom.

Interview

The Paycom recruiter emailed me regarding what to expect for the face-to face interview in Portland, OR, which I was told not to bring anything. The manager interviewing me was double booked and had me sit in the conference room so he could print my resume. When it came to making regular conversation he was a great guy to talk to, but in the interview process I was bombarded with questions. I understand that this is an executive position. However, it seemed like her had pre-planned questions instead of asking me questions about my answers. One question was, "Where do you see yourself in five years?" I said I would like to be an account executive for Paycom. After driving 50 minutes for an interview, this meeting lasted 15 minutes because he pictured me as an an "Account executive." Apparently they didn't like ambition

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Application

I interviewed at Paycom in August 2012.

Interview

My initial communication with Paycom was with a recruiter who contacted me after I'd applied online. The phone interview process with the recruiter was great, and made me very excited to meet for a face to face interview with the hiring manager. I received my confirm email for the interview confirming it was early on a Monday morning. That morning I showed up a few minutes early to the interview, and ended up waiting for over an hour for the hiring manager. She then came out to the waiting room saying that she never takes interviews on Monday mornings, and said that she'd see me the next day which is when she had me on her schedule. I showed her the email, asked if she could see me that day as scheduled b/c of my work schedule, and she sighed and acted completely inconvenienced, telling me that it would be brief. This set a horrible tone for the interview, and throughout the entire process she treated me like the company's mistake was my fault, and that she was extremely inconvenienced. It was the most awkward, horrible interview I've ever been on. Needless to say I didn't move on to the next step of the interview process. I was very disappointed b/c of some of the great things I had heard about Paycom. I wish my experience had been better.

Interview Questions

• Why are you applying for other jobs when you have only been at your current one for a short time? Do they know you're here?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Paycom (Chicago, IL) in July 2010.

Interview

1:1 interview. Then you do a 4 hour tryout where you cold call companies. Then there is a phone interview with a manager. Then you do a webcam chat with the CEO. I stopped after the initial 1:1 interview because the guy interviewing me couldn't care less about what I had to say. He was a salesman, not somebody in HR who is responsible for hiring people. The guy was very unimpressive and gave me no reason to join the company. All in all, huge waste of time.

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom in January 2011.

Interview

I received a call from the recruiter, nice guy, scheduled in a face to face in Irvine, California. The day comes for the big interview in which I so diligently prepared and the door is locked; I knock, no one answers. I call the recruiter and he gives me the number to my interviewer for me to call to have her open the door...OK, cool, kinda weird, but whatever. The interview begins and the interviewer couldn't be more uninterested and distracted. I was asked NO questions regarding sales, none! She asked me "Who I admire the most" and went over my resume and college education. She wasn't interested about the statement on my resume about how I made my current company almost half a million dollars (verifiable) in revenue in a single quarter in 2010. I honestly think I was interviewed because she was forced to. As awkwardly as the interview began it was over. She had a meeting to go to, she told me. The interview was simple and I nailed it. In short, I'm a good interviewer and I nailed her questions, not that they were challenging, especially the one at the end when they ask you, "Do you have any questions for me"? For those who don't know, this is the time to close the deal, or interview rather. After the interview, I called the recruiter and we chatted about the interview, good conversation. He says he'll call me the next day to let me know how it went and give me information about the next interview. He never does. If fact I didn't hear a word form him for over two weeks despite my attempts to contact him. I ended up having to call my interviewer to get some closure as I had other offers standing by but was really wanting to work for Paycom. She was surprisingly awkward on the phone, not what you you'd expect from a sales manager, and told me their offices in Oklahoma were interrupted due to the recent inclement weather and she would email him. I didn't hear from them for a few more days to receive an email from a man in their HR department whom I've never spoken with telling me I didn't get the job. Paycom is very unprofessional and might be stepping on their own feet by creating a bad reputation stemming from their interviewees who may or may not have large personal networks of small business within Paycom's target geographical area of operation. Novel complete.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Boston, MA) in April 2015.

Interview

Contacted via linkedin and set up initial phone screen that included general resume overview, getting to know you questions. From there, I was invited to an in-person interview in their Boston office to meet with the Regional Sales Manager. We met for about 30 minutes or so and discussed the company and my past experience. At the end of the meeting he invited me to participate in a 3-hour phone canvassing session where if you are able to schedule 3 meetings with prospective clients, you are offered the position. I returned a few days later for the phone canvassing session to discover the office had a total of 5 employees (very very shady) and the general office space was a mess (cardboard boxes everywhere, papers scattered all over the ground); this was a huge red flag because I had been told that they moved to this office space about a year ago, so there was no reason for it to be in such disarray. First, I did a mock phone call (keep in mind, these are all cold calls) with one employee and then was led to cubicle and handed a list of about 150+ companies and their phone numbers/contact name along with which payroll software they were thought to be on. I was told that I would receive feedback from the sales manager and the other employees about halfway through the process, I never received any feedback and the sales manager never emerged from his corner office. After about the first 20 phone calls I placed, it was abundantly clear that Paycom had a bad reputation and that 9 times out of 10 people were not even interested in discussing Paycom and either hung up on me mid-sentence or asked why they had not been taken off the calling list yet. The day that I happened to come in for the phone canvassing session happened to be a holiday so many places were closed. At the end of the 3 hours, I was told that they could not offer me the position because I had not been able to schedule any meetings (company policy states they are not allowed to make offers if you do not schedule 3+ meetings- a lot harder than it sounds given Paycom's reputation) but they were impressed with my attitude and perseverance and that they wanted me to come back and try again. I was contacted a few weeks later to schedule a time for me to come in for a phone canvassing session, to which I politely declined.

Interview Questions

• What books are you reading right now? What is your past experience? Why sales?   Answer Question

Paycom Response

Jul 27, 2015 – Representative

Thank you for taking time to share your experience. As you saw firsthand, we are meticulous when adding talent to our award-winning sales force. Not only do we want to hire those with specific ... More

Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paycom (Tulsa, OK) in December 2014.

Interview

Fairly easy interview process. The recruiter will email you information on the indicidual you are meeting with and tell you to dress business professional. Everyone I came into contact was extremely helpful and professional. The only difficult part of the interviews is the calling portion. It can be pretty hit or miss.

Interview Questions

• Simple questions: what do you know about Paycom? Tell me about yourself. What can you bring to the company? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? What experience in Sales do you have? Etc.   Answer Question

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Paycom in December 2012.

Interview

All in all, I felt the interview process was more than fair. Are there multiple steps? Yes. But sometimes things worth getting have to be worked for. I say this even though I unfortuantely did not receive an offer from this company. The employee that answered the door seemed happy to be there and so did the other people working. I was early and the manager came out right when she knew I was there; it was a conversational interview and it seemed like she was genuinely interested in what I was saying. I was passed on to a webcam interview as a second step but my process stopped after that. I still think this is a great opportunity for anyone looking to have a sales career - plenty of room to grow, high energy in the office etc.

Interview Questions

• What role do you usually step into when you join a team and can you give me an example?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Kansas City, MO) in March 2015.

Interview

I was reached out by an outside recruiter about the position. Decided to come in and interview with the sales manager. Easy conversation, very normal sales interview and lasted about 30-45 minutes long. I came back for the second step which was the phone canvass interview with the team. They did a great job of prepping me and what to expect. The team was also helpful while I was there. However, I did not get offered the position after that but I will continue to keep in touch as my sales career develops. The manager also took time to respond to my email with feedback from the interview process which was appreciated.

Interview Questions

• What are you passionate about outside of work? What do you enjoy doing when you aren't working?   Answer Question
    • If you could completely redesign your career path from scratch what would you do differently and why?   1 Answer
    • How would others describe you?   1 Answer