Paycom

Average Difficulty
5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Oklahoma City, OK

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Paycom in September 2013.

Interview Details – The Paycom hiring process is not for the weak of heart. It is stringent as the companies mindset is to hire and retain the best of the best. I went through three interviews: an initial phone screening with a recruiter, a interview with my current supervisor, and a final interview with my supervisor and a Director of my department. After the successful phone interview, the recruiter had me follow up with taking a few tests which included a test on excel, and typing tests to determine you speed. These were very clear cut tests and are easily completed if you are computer savvy. Before my first interview, I was prompted to complete another quiz, it was mostly analogies like you would see on an ACT. The test was timed but there were not expectations as far as completion. Both interviews at the company location were formal but not too intimidating. The best advice I could give would be to come prepared with knowledge on the company and specific questions on your position or the company. Also, be prepared to answer your interviewers questions with detailed professional answers.

Interview Question – My most difficult question was, where do you see yourself in five years? I am amongst the youngest here and honestly, my future could go anywhere. I was genuine and honest in my answer of what a dream future would be like for me and apparently it served me well.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I originally was not interviewing for the Specialist position, even though they had positions open. My first interview I made clear that I was very customer focused as I had been in retail management for several years and working with customers and having that interaction is what I loved to do. This convinced them to interview me for the specialist position, which is higher than the original position I was applying for. Just be honest with yourself on what makes you happy, and whatever position you decide to apply for Paycom is a great place to be.

Oklahoma City, OK

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Paycom.

Interview Details – The process was quick and seemed smooth and simple, however when it came to receiving word back about whether or not I had received the job, the recruiter that had been working with me avoided my calls and did not reply to my emails. Then, in the end, I received a rejection via automated email. This was after an online application, having my resume referred by a family friend within the company, a phone/screening interview, and two in-person interviews -- the second of which the interviewer spent the majority of the interview assuring me that they company saw me as a great asset with high test scores, good interviewing skills, and a great educational background, though they feared I might be overqualified. I was told quote,"We wouldn't want to lose you to another employer." I find it a bit disingenuous after being later rejected and told from my friend within the company that ultimately I wasn't given the job because they felt I was too quiet.

Interview Question – We believe you may be overqualified. How would you respond to that?   Answer Question

Mar 18, 2014Representative

Thank you for your feedback. We will definitely review with our in-house team and agency partners the process for notifying candidates when decisions are made. We respect each of our candidates time ... More

Oklahoma City, OK

I applied online - interviewed at Paycom in July 2013.

Interview Details – I came for my interview and was told to come back another day because all their managers were in meetings. The recruiter even got my name wrong. After I came back for a rescheduled interview, there was no apology or knowledge that I didn't get to see anyone the first time. I find it ironic that this company offers employment management services when they can't even manage potential employees. I don't even want to know how they handle their actual employees. My interviewer told me they would have a decision at the beginning of the next week. It's been five weeks since the interview... I never heard back from them.

Interview Question – Why would you want to work for a payroll and employment management company that's completely different from what you majored in college?   View Answer

Aug 22, 2013Representative

I am sorry to hear about your experience as this is certainly not standard Paycom protocol. We value each of our potential hires time and have looked into the issue at hand.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Oklahoma City, OK

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Paycom in January 2013.

Interview Details – After applying online I had phone interview then I had to take a 30 question simulation test using excel and a typing test. I had an in person interview with a recruiter then another interview with a manager. After that I had an interview with the VP (don't remember of what department.) I also had a math/English assessment before my in person interview.

Before the phone interview they told me they wouldn't hire someone who had had a dui or bankruptcy. I didn't have either so I didn't think there would be a problem. I received an offer and they did a background/drug/credit check. A few days later they told me my credit wasn't good enough and they retracted the offer. Wish I knew that before I spent all that time going to interviews. Didn't think credit would matter since the position was basically a customer service position.

Interview Question – I did a role play about how I would deal with a customer. ..The questions were pretty typical. Why did you apply at Paycom? What are your strengths/ weaknesses? Tell us about yourself? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? How did you deal with an unhappy customer?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't negotiation all Payroll Specialist start at $13.65 but there are different levels that you can move up in.

Jun 26, 2013Representative

Thank you for detailing your interview experience. As you noted, we do have a no tolerance policy. We are a customer focused organization. We do everything we can to protect our customers' data ... More

Oklahoma City, OK

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Paycom in February 2009.

Interview Details – My initial interview was a phone interview with the Recruiting Department. I then came in for a skills test and personality test along with a 1:1 Interview with a supervisor. The questions were insightful and made me think. I was then called back for a second interview with the department manager. In each interview the duties that I would be expected to perform were clearly laid out for me and all questions I asked were answered fully. A few days later I was offered the job and I accepted the offer.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have with payroll?   Answer Question
  • Name one work incident where you have made a mistake and what steps you took to fix the problem.   Answer Question

Worked for Paycom? Contribute to the Community!