Paycom

Average Difficulty
74 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Representative

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Paycom in July 2014.

Interview Details – Paycom has a difficult interview process by design. We want a very special person to join our team and service our customers. We also want anyone who is considering joining the team to see first hand the opportunity for what it is - a true B2B Hunter Sales Career. You talk our recruiters, the manager the regional manager our CSO. You interact with the team for a prospecting session, you may even go to lunch or ride along with a member of the team.

Interview Question – Who do you admire most and why?
If you had a magic wand and could change anything about your current position and manager what would it be?
  View Answer

Sales Representative

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Paycom.

Interview Details – Phone interview, manger interview, regional manager interview, executive interview. Manager canceled my first interview the day of about an hour before the interview because they had to go on a sales call. I was not happy about that since I lived an hour and a half away from the interview site and felt it was extremely unprofessional that someone from corporate called me to cancel with only an hour of lead time. The manager didn't even call to cancel and reschedule and apologize. Second interview was via webcam, final was in person. Standard interview questions and process.

Interview Question – Typical sales questions nothing out of this world   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They will not negotiate anything - not even vacation time or a signing bonus.

Jul 22, 2014Representative

Thank you for the feedback. We value your time and are very sorry to hear of your experience. We will use your feedback as a means to improve the recruiting process.

Phoenix, AZ

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Paycom.

Interview Details – The process was lengthy but it did give me a good insight to the company culture and job responsibilities. I met with both the sales manager in Phoenix and the regional sales manager both were very professional and knowledgeable about Paycom and where they see the company going.

Interview Question – The most difficult for me was the prospecting session. I did enjoy the team but this is where I realized this wasn't for me. The questions they asked made me think. They really wanted to get to know me and what drives me to success. Things I guess I had never thought about.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Paycom in February 2014.

Interview Details – It was strenuous but good. They only hire the best so they are picky and I think it is for the best. The manager was nice and helpful and the regional gave me many good things to think on.

Interview Question – What was something you struggled with but overcame   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Paycom in March 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process was very lengthy, with a phone screening and about an hour and a half long in person interview. After those two, I was called back to do a "phone canvassing session" with the team, which was cold calling from about 9am until 1pm. They provided some background materials, but only tips on how to cold call, not any specific product knowledge. I was expected to set at least four appointments through cold calling, which did not happen. They did compensate me with a Visa gift card for $40 for my time, but it was very difficult to just be thrown to the lions and be expected to produce results equal to the experienced sales staff around me. It was confusing because Paycom advertises their extensive training program, but what's the point of having one if you are expected to be a seasoned sales professional during the interview process? The biggest thing that stuck out for me was, at one point during the company wide phone canvassing session, a woman got up to get a coffee from the break area. Another salesman saw her and criticized her for getting up from her desk during peak phone canvassing hours. With a company culture like that, I knew I did not want to be a part of Paycom.

Interview Question – I was asked where I saw myself after my first year with Paycom, which isn't uncommon. It was the reaction to my response that was a red flag.   View Answer

May 20, 2014Representative

We appreciate your feedback and apologize you felt unprepared for the canvassing session. Once hired, our training curriculum is second to none as each new hire has extensive training that is ... More

Interviewed at Paycom

Interview Details – The interview process I took part in was close to 8 weeks long. I had a first interview scheduled, and it was then rescheduled twice within the next 2 weeks. I finally received a first interview over 2 weeks later from when I was told they were interested in setting up a first interview. This was very unfortunate, because AFTER going through the entire phone canvassing and even NEXT interview process 2 weeks later, I was THEN told 1 week later that I would not be getting the offer (May I add that I even made the 3 appointment requirement). Very frustrating that I was led on throughout the whole process and it wasted 7 weeks of my time while I even have a full-time job.

Interview Question – The phone canvassing part was the most difficult, but also gave you a great feeling of what the job is going to be like. Although, DO NOT give your hopes up even if you schedule the 3 minimal appointments.   Answer Question

May 12, 2014Representative

Thank you for your response and we apologize that you felt the process was lengthy. We do our very best to work with every candidates schedule, especially those that are working full-time, and the ... More

Sales Representative

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Paycom in April 2014.

Interview Details – A 5 round interview process. Two managers, one regional manager, and one CSO. 3 were in person and two of the interviews were via web chat. Each interview had its own questions ranging from background to how you would be great in sales. The interview process taught me a lot.

Interview Question – How are you better then the last candidate that we just hired right out of college?   Answer Question

May 12, 2014Representative

We appreciate your candid review and are glad to hear you learned a lot throughout the interview process. Best of luck to you!

Sales Representative

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Paycom.

Interview Details – Lengthy process, but well worth the time!

Interview Question – Why can't you fail?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None. Base is 50k plus commission.

Sales Representative

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Paycom.

Interview Details – Very impressive process that revealed they make sure they have the right fit before extending an offer. Started the process with a recruiter who screened me thoroughly before setting up a phone screen with the local sales manager. After passing, I met the sales manager for an in-person interview, and afterward met the rest of the team in the office. The next interview was with the regional VP of Sales who was young but sharp as a tack. After passing that stage I was invited to a "phone canvassing" session which basically is a try-out to see if you have what it takes to cut it. This also provides you with an opportunity to determine for yourself whether or not this is the job for you. The goal is setting 3 appointments within a 5 hour period. If you pass the phone canvassing session you then meet with the CSO for a final screen. If this goes well, you'll most likely get an offer.

Interview Question – The phone canvassing session was one of the most incredible interview experiences ever. It made the job palpable in ways that talking over a resume never could be possible. It took me a while to get my first appointment, but I remained calm and was able to hit them.   Answer Question

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Paycom in April 2013.

Interview Details – Interview process is extremely thorough, but well worth it for the caliber of job duties and people you'll be working around. Paycom hires some outstanding individuals and they have the ability to do so because the rewards are great. There were approximately 6 steps in the process: An initial phone screen with a recruiter, an interview with the hiring manager, a second interview with a regional manager, a ride-along with your potential team, a phone-canvassing session in which you must demonstrate that you can successfully set three appointments, and then a final interview with a C-Level exec.

The process is very intense, and you may move forward in the process to the next level in the same day if you do well. Overall the process moves very quickly. The recruiter I had, Kathryn, was amazing, and did an excellent job of preparing me for each and every step.

Overall this was a great interview process!

Interview Question – I came in under an unusual career change for this position, so my most difficult questions came out of how I might have prepared myself for the position, having not come from a sales background. Be ready for this. They want to make sure you have prepared well in your time leading up to the possibility of stepping into a very challenging position.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Worked for Paycom? Contribute to the Community!