Paycom Sales Representative Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015

3.3

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

The process took a weekinterviewed at Paycom.

It wasn't too difficult. You just need to relate your past sales experience. They are looking for aggression and grit. You need to convey that you will stick with it no matter what. You then have an onsite interview and you have to set 3 appointments from 9 until noon. If you can do that you get to the final interview with the vp.

Other Interview Reviews for Paycom

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Paycom in February 2015.

Introduced to Paycom by recruiting agency. Process included phone screen, interview with Sales Manager, four hours cold calling, and a final interview with VP. They look for you to show resolve when cold calling, don't set down the phone and be ready to overcome a lot of objections.

Interview Questions

I gage the value a company places on their people by their willingness to negotiate an offer. I asked for an additional $3k and a fully paid phone (they only offer $25/month credit). Paycom was unwilling to negotiate anything. Additionally, I do not like the idea of using my own vehicle as transportation to/from appointments. I was initially prepared to except an offer, but the negotiation process was red flag. If a company won't fight to get you on their team than it isn't a place you should want to work.

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Paycom in February 2015.

Hounded on by three recruiters on LinkedIn, to months of phone calls and emails, meeting a hiring manager at Paycom felt necessary. Happily employed with my current company, the Glassdoor reviews (which, by the way, is fantastic marketing) appeared worthwhile enough to check into. After patiently waiting 25 minutes in the lobby of your stereotypical, suburban finance building, the hiring manager and I wasted another 45 minutes discussing golf.

Feb 26, 2015Representative

We’re sorry to hear of your experience. Your feedback is important to us, and we have addressed your situation with our recruiting team. We greatly value your time and apologize for any delays you ... More

Sales Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Paycom.

I applied online and a recruiter reached out to me the next day. She was very pushy that she wanted me to interview quickly with the Vice President. The interview was scheduled for two days later at 7:30 in the morning. I sat around and waited for my phone to ring, no call, no email, nothing. Finally, that afternoon, I emailed my recruiter and apparently the person I was supposed to be interviewed with "forgot". A time was rescheduled, however once again the person never called, nor did the recruiter follow up. I ended up accepting an offer with another company the same day. I'm happy I dodged a bullet of working for such an unprofessional and disorganized company.

Feb 6, 2015Representative

Professionalism is of the utmost importance to us and everyone who represents Paycom. We will look into the issue at hand. If you have any further comments concerning this incident, please connect ... More

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Paycom.

My first interview was on my university's campus. Both the national talent recruiter and the regional sales manager sat in with me. It was a great experience meeting with them both.

I was invited to an office nearby to spend a day doing prospecting calls. I was given a list of companies to call, with no real knowledge of the company's product lines. For this reason, the sales manager and the other employees stressed how important it was to only try to set up another meeting instead of selling the company and it's products. Calling was somewhat frustrating, because I had no real experience with this yet. Toward the end of my time calling, the sales manager came over and sat by me to listen in on my conversations to see if she could help me at all. By this time is was around noon so I wasn't able to connect with any businesses as most employees were at lunch. I think it may have been helpful if she had attempted to give me feedback and advice earlier on in the day.

I was able to set one appointment, but the expectation had been 3 so I was not invited back for a final interview.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Paycom in January 2015.

A recruiter reached out to me via Linkedin and instead of setting me up on a call with herself, the hiring sales manager in the Boston office called me instead. I was caught off guard with the bypass of the recruiter, but the sales manager insisted because he was so impressed with my resume. We hit it off over the phone, he seemed like a real down to earth guy that was easy to get along with and he invited me into the office the next night. Once I got there, I sat down across from the hiring sales manager and also a tenured rep on his team. The sales manager did not look up from my resume once the entire interview. He grilled me on every little aspect of my resume; why I had a month in between jobs, why I didn't pursue a professional job immediately out of school, etc. He asked some real fluffy questions, too, such as, "who is your biggest role model" and "what motivates you in life?" Was that guy seriously going to decide whether to hire me or not based off questions like that? When I finally got the opportunity to ask some questions, I asked the hiring manager if he had any reservations about hiring me. He said he was disappointed that I didn't have a professional job secured right out of college and that he only wants to hire people who are 100% gun ho perusing sales. I guess taking two small jobs after college to figure out what you want to do is not taken lightly at Paycom.

Interview Questions
    • Are you intrinsically or extrinsically motivated?   View Answer

Feb 6, 2015Representative

I am sorry to hear about your experience and can assure you this is not the norm in any of our offices across the nation. Thank you for your comments and we wish you the best in future endeavors.

Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Paycom.

There are a few steps involved in the interview process, but the recruiters do a great job of walking you through what is involved for each step. You know where you stand at each point, and each step gives you a look inside the company from a different angle. If you take advantage of it, the interview process gives you a great idea of whether this is the position for you before you take that leap from another employer.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you the person for this position over all the other applicants?   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Paycom in October 2014.

The interview process is as advertised here on glassdoor, challenging and yet rewarding if you make it through like I did. They look for the best which is a big reason why the company is growing to what it is. I've heard a stat (not sure if its true or not) that they hire only 4% of all interviewing applicants for sales representatives which means they have a ton of people applying. And while a lot are probably applying with no chance at the job which helps that stat still there are tons of qualified applicants that get turned down because they cant make it through the gauntlet or do bad on making their appointments in the final interviewing process or various other reasons I'm sure.

Overall it was very rewarding getting the job offer and I was very happy to accept.

Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Paycom in September 2014.

Recruiters walk you through the process as do the managers. It is easy to get hired if you have half a brain and you can convince people you are willing to work ridiculous hours and hit quotas no matter what it takes.

Interview Questions

Ignore the recruiters and the managers because they are the ones that stand to make money if you get hired. Here is the deal. If you have a fluid life, and are willing to relocate thousands of miles away, feel free to work here. All reviews about crazy hours, no time off, but incredible compensation is true. However, do not plan to stay put in your current location. Once succeed for a few years you will be asked to relocate to manage an office. If you decline, your next option will be to travel for weeks/months on end to territories outside of your current state for sales work. If you refuse that, good luck keeping your job. People that do not move up to manager, and refuse to travel, will definately be let go. Don't believe me? Go on Linkedin and try to find sales reps or exec reps that remained employed in their original location for more than 5 years. 870 employees and you may find 1 or 2 existing exec reps that were not let go or did not move on. Why do they do this? Well to start, you make 50k. In a few years? 120k! Why pay someone triple the pay for cold calling and canvassing when you can use your world renowned training to get young employees up to speed quickly and pay 50k for similar results. It's all about profit margins people. If you are looking for job security, longevity in your current location, look elsewhere.

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Paycom.

Interviewing with Paycom was timely and efficient. I spoke to a recruiter by phone, and sent her my resume. She had me apply online, and then I was scheduled to interview with the Sales Manager the next week. From there I interviewed with the Regional Manager. The last step in the interview is the phone canvass session. I think it's great that phone-canvassing is apart of the interview, it gives people a sneak peak at what a job with Paycom would be like.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult was probably phone canvass session just because it was not something I had ever done before. But they prep you, and it's more of a mental test seeing how you are able to adapt and roll with it.   Answer Question