Paycom Sales Representative Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015

3.3

Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK
Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Paycom in October 2010.

The absolute worst experience in my life. The HR Representative was professional and polite. Met with the Manager and VP next. The rudest most disrespectful human beings on the planet. They don't care about you or hearing what you have to say. I showed up at 8:15 for a 8:30 interview. I was not seen until 9:30. Lasted less then 5 minutes. When I asked a question they would not respond. I hope people read this before wasting their time. It is scary to think of working for this awful company.

Rude Management

Other Interview Reviews for Paycom

Sales Representative Interview

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Paycom in January 2011.

Once you have been contacted by the recruiter they will move you along to the Sales Manager. The first step will be a phone interview. The main point of this is for the Sales Manager to see if you can close them on moving on to the next step. Then comes a 'Phone Canvassing Session', during this phase you will spend half a day (usually Tuesday or Friday morning), making cold calls, with the goal of booking 3 appointments during one session. Please know that even though they tell you you must set 3 appoitnments, you really don't. The manager will be listening to you on the phones, and if they like what they hear, they will move you along the process. Next will be an interview with their VP of Sales done over web conference. This one is a pretty easy step, just be prepared to answer standard interview questions, and make sure you close him for a recommendation to move on to the next step. The final step is a web conference meeting with the CEO. This usually will last about 5 to 10 minutes. He is very direct, and will want quick and common-sense answers from you, again, the most important step is to close him and ask for the job. You must always wear professional clothing (business suit), even to the web conference meetings.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work in Outside Sales?   View Answer
    In major metropolitan areas, you will be offered $40,000 base if you don't have prior Sales experience, in smaller parts of the country you will be offered a $30,000 base. If you're crafty enough, you may be able to negotiate it to $40k, but this is very unlikely.

If you have prior sales experience you should expect an offer for $50k base.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Paycom in June 2011.

If you're applying to this position, you must know, you need to be exactly the type of person they're looking for in ordered to be hired.....goal oriented, answering the questions "right", and prepared for a hard interview process. I was first contacted by a corporate recruiter to set my up my first round interview with the sales manager. The manager forgot to call me on 2 different occasions, and finally after the 3rd rescheduled interview on his behalf, we had a short 15 minute phone conversation. He asked me things like "are you an only child? What does your dad do for a living?" Thought it was weird....so didn't hear back until 2 weeks later, and the recruiter called and said "the manager really liked you and wants a1:1 interview. So I went up to DC for our 1:1. They failed to give me the Paycom pre-phone canvassing paperwork so instead of phone canvassing, which i was supposed to do, the manager asked me, again, very personal questions and tried to make a quick judgement because I was an only child from a divorced family- after talking with my HR professional at my law firm, she said you're not allowed to do that.... anyways, he basically said I'm not suited for the position but still made me wait 2 more hours for a web conference with the regional sales manager. That was awkward. He was very quick to get me out of there- BIG HINT- if they're quick to get you out of there and the say " Thanks for taking this time with us"- you're not getting the job. Sure enough, got the rejection email two days later. Great money, great company to work for, but it's really hard to get the job.

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Paycom in December 2011.

Very challenging interview. Focused a lot on resume flow and consistency of employment.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

interviewed at Paycom in April 2012.

This begins with a first round screening of the office manager. Then you will cold call for them for 4 hours if the manager likes you. If you set about 3 appointments, they will let you interview with the Chief Operator of Sales. From there, if you pass that interview, you will have a bunch of background checks run on you.

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Paycom in July 2012.

long and drawn out

Interview Questions
    • What are you going to do if not hired here. I dont understand why that woudh matter to you   View Answer

The atmosphere of the office is terrible, very few people does not seem promising. Very high turnover in this company

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Paycom in June 2013.

Paycom got me through the interview process quick, but I did not receive an offer. I thought I handled most of the questions fairly well but there were some very difficult questions. Everyone I met in the office seemed very young and driven. Everyone seemed really nice. A part of the interview process is what the call phone canvassing. I only set one appointment and this was tough was well. Great company but probably not the best fit for me at the time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Paycom in April 2013.

Interview process is extremely thorough, but well worth it for the caliber of job duties and people you'll be working around. Paycom hires some outstanding individuals and they have the ability to do so because the rewards are great. There were approximately 6 steps in the process: An initial phone screen with a recruiter, an interview with the hiring manager, a second interview with a regional manager, a ride-along with your potential team, a phone-canvassing session in which you must demonstrate that you can successfully set three appointments, and then a final interview with a C-Level exec.

The process is very intense, and you may move forward in the process to the next level in the same day if you do well. Overall the process moves very quickly. The recruiter I had, Kathryn, was amazing, and did an excellent job of preparing me for each and every step.

Overall this was a great interview process!

Interview Questions
    • I came in under an unusual career change for this position, so my most difficult questions came out of how I might have prepared myself for the position, having not come from a sales background. Be ready for this. They want to make sure you have prepared well in your time leading up to the possibility of stepping into a very challenging position.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Paycom in April 2014.

A 5 round interview process. Two managers, one regional manager, and one CSO. 3 were in person and two of the interviews were via web chat. Each interview had its own questions ranging from background to how you would be great in sales. The interview process taught me a lot.

Interview Questions
    • How are you better then the last candidate that we just hired right out of college?   Answer Question

Paycom Response

May 12, 2014Representative

We appreciate your candid review and are glad to hear you learned a lot throughout the interview process. Best of luck to you!

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Paycom.

My first interview was on my university's campus. Both the national talent recruiter and the regional sales manager sat in with me. It was a great experience meeting with them both.

I was invited to an office nearby to spend a day doing prospecting calls. I was given a list of companies to call, with no real knowledge of the company's product lines. For this reason, the sales manager and the other employees stressed how important it was to only try to set up another meeting instead of selling the company and it's products. Calling was somewhat frustrating, because I had no real experience with this yet. Toward the end of my time calling, the sales manager came over and sat by me to listen in on my conversations to see if she could help me at all. By this time is was around noon so I wasn't able to connect with any businesses as most employees were at lunch. I think it may have been helpful if she had attempted to give me feedback and advice earlier on in the day.

I was able to set one appointment, but the expectation had been 3 so I was not invited back for a final interview.