Paycom

Updated Sep 3, 2014

3.4

78 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Paycom.

Very impressive process that revealed they make sure they have the right fit before extending an offer. Started the process with a recruiter who screened me thoroughly before setting up a phone screen with the local sales manager. After passing, I met the sales manager for an in-person interview, and afterward met the rest of the team in the office. The next interview was with the regional VP of Sales who was young but sharp as a tack. After passing that stage I was invited to a "phone canvassing" session which basically is a try-out to see if you have what it takes to cut it. This also provides you with an opportunity to determine for yourself whether or not this is the job for you. The goal is setting 3 appointments within a 5 hour period. If you pass the phone canvassing session you then meet with the CSO for a final screen. If this goes well, you'll most likely get an offer.

Interview Questions
  • The phone canvassing session was one of the most incredible interview experiences ever. It made the job palpable in ways that talking over a resume never could be possible. It took me a while to get my first appointment, but I remained calm and was able to hit them.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Paycom

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Paycom in March 2014.

The interview process was very lengthy, with a phone screening and about an hour and a half long in person interview. After those two, I was called back to do a "phone canvassing session" with the team, which was cold calling from about 9am until 1pm. They provided some background materials, but only tips on how to cold call, not any specific product knowledge. I was expected to set at least four appointments through cold calling, which did not happen. They did compensate me with a Visa gift card for $40 for my time, but it was very difficult to just be thrown to the lions and be expected to produce results equal to the experienced sales staff around me. It was confusing because Paycom advertises their extensive training program, but what's the point of having one if you are expected to be a seasoned sales professional during the interview process? The biggest thing that stuck out for me was, at one point during the company wide phone canvassing session, a woman got up to get a coffee from the break area. Another salesman saw her and criticized her for getting up from her desk during peak phone canvassing hours. With a company culture like that, I knew I did not want to be a part of Paycom.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked where I saw myself after my first year with Paycom, which isn't uncommon. It was the reaction to my response that was a red flag.   View Answer

May 20, 2014Representative

We appreciate your feedback and apologize you felt unprepared for the canvassing session. Once hired, our training curriculum is second to none as each new hire has extensive training that is ... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Paycom in February 2014.

It was strenuous but good. They only hire the best so they are picky and I think it is for the best. The manager was nice and helpful and the regional gave me many good things to think on.

None

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Paycom.

There is enough information online to get a good understanding of what the job interview process will be like. Come prepared to wow the manager in a very short amount of time. You will only have a few moments to make an impression. Also, this is a very competitive company so expect there to be many well qualified people gunning for the same position.

Interview Questions
    • Explain how you overcame a challenge at your previous job.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Not getting an offer from Paycom was a blessing in disguise; within 5 minutes into the interview I could tell I did not want to work for this company. My interviewer was rude, uninterested, and I could tell right off the bat she did not like me. If they treat you like this during an interview how are they going to treat you when you are an employee? She also did her very best to drive me into a corner while answering questions. I understand this is to see how people respond under pressure, but she was just rude. I see from other comments people have experienced the same problem, so I do not fault myself, I was prepared for the interview. The interviewer was not prepared to listen.

Interview Questions
    • None- general questions, tell me why you are interested in sales, your experience, etc.   Answer Question

Oct 29, 2013Representative

I am sorry to hear about your experience and can assure you this is not the norm in any of our offices across the nation. Thank you for your comments and we wish you the best in future endeavors.

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Paycom in October 2013.

I was contacted by two different recruiters - first the recruiter will give you a quick phone screening, then another recruiter called me 30 minutes later and did another phone screening before setting up an office interview the same week.

The first interview in-office seemed very casual, she basically just wanted me to go through my resume, and carried on more of a casual conversation after that. When I asked if she had any more questions for me- she responded "no not really, when I have less questions that means I like you".... Seemed like an inexperienced interviewer.

The office dress was not as professional as I had expected either, one girl in the office had on a dress you could actually see through. Aside from that, I was definitely impressed by the amount of money they said you could make in the beginning, it almost seemed too good to be true. However, this is definitely the factor that kept me really wanting to continue through the process.

Next, I got called in for the phone canvassing. The team was super nice and very helpful in what works best on the phone when setting appointments. They said she gave me a great area to call, which meant she actually wanted to hire me. I set 3 appointments in the first 45 minutes of calling, so the office manager let me go an hour early- which was disappointing because I wanted to see how many I could set in the allotted time.

The next step was an interview with the regional sales director via webcam- my recruiter set this up for the wrong day initially, but I thought it went well once I had the interview.

The next step was when something really started to not feel right.... I was called to go on a ride-along with a sales rep.- I was also told if all went well with this then it would be the final step before an offer. The ride along was changed to lunch the following day, then I received text message an hour and half before I was to leave my house for lunch asking if I could come in for dinner instead, so I had to completely rearrange my schedule twice for the 2 hour drive each way.

The reps who took me to dinner seemed to have no idea what was going on- they didn't know where I was in the interview process, they seemed like they didn't know what exactly we were going to dinner for... It also seemed like they were holding something back or I was missing something.... I was actually told that "sometimes the manager really likes people but just decides not to hire them after taking them through the interview process because they don't have the time or feel like training them...." At that point I was very confused as I thought I was interviewing for an open position that they needed to fill, not just going through the interview process for the sake of going through it.

I was told I was moving on to the final interview round- only to be contacted later and told that "They were going pass"- again not a very professional way to tell someone you are not going to hire them (maybe "pursuing other candidates" or "opportunities" would have been a better way to phrase that). After being told all along that they really liked me and by the reps. that management wanted to hire me and then not being offered, I felt very strung along by the whole process. The interview process is tortuous as they keep telling you this is the last step and it isn't.... it seems like they think the only thing people have going on in their lives is this interview. Did they really need to take me through 5 whole steps to decide I wasn't the right person for the job? Especially, because any decent candidate probably has a ton of other interviews going on at the same time.

Another red-flag is the fact that no one in the entire office had been a rep. for longer than 2.5 years.... and whenever it came up, anyone I talked to seemed very quick to cover-up why a person was no longer working there. Maybe it is because the company is growing so quickly, but I kind of got the impression either you are good enough to move up quickly to a manger status, or you quit from the intensity of the job. Seems like they draw in young, recent college grads. on the premise they are going to make a ridiculous amount of money.

All in all there were some positives and negatives to the experience. Having a recruiter and a contact person is nice, a lot of companies are doing that these days. The other sales reps. seemed like they wanted you to work there- nice people. It is for the best I did not get an offer, after awkwardness of my last interview I had decided not to accept if I was offered. Just way too many red-flags during just the interviews, management seemed too inexperienced, seems like a temporary job. My advice would be to not be jaded by what they tell you that you can make there, they lead with the money thing for a reason. Go with a more recognizable, well-known company if you can.

Interview Questions
    • "What are you going to buy with all the money you make at Paycom...?"   View Answer

Nov 19, 2013Representative

We appreciate your feedback and offer our most sincere apology for any lapse in communication that may have occurred. We make sure to notify each candidate on the interview processes beforehand so ... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Paycom in October 2013.

Contacted by Paycom representative via LinkedIn. Spoke with him for about 30 minutes. I then scheduled an in person interview with one of the Sales Managers. She was 15 minutes late to our meeting, and that interview only lasted about 20 minutes, which I felt wasn't enough time - but she seemed to have already made up her mind.

Interview Questions
    • Standard questions. What's your greatest strength? What's your biggest weakness?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Paycom in September 2013.

Had a phone interview and was asked to come in for a live interview 2 days later. Before the interview was over I was asked to come in for the phone canvassing 2 days later. They sent me a script and some other info to review. I took time off work as the phone canvassing session was to last the entire morning. The night before they called to cancel. Quite annoying considering it was they who were so insistent on moving me through the process as quickly as possible. I think it ended up being a blassing though. The managers seem pretty inexperienced and asked a lot of irrelevant questions. I'm also not convinced all the reviews on this site are true. There are way too many "perfect" reviews that sound like they were written by a marketing person.

Interview Questions
    • They don't ask to much that would help them discern your level of sales skill. Most of it was just verifying the info in my resume.   Answer Question

Oct 29, 2013Representative

We are sorry to hear your comments regarding the process. We were able to issue a gift card despite the cancellation and are sorry for any inconvenience it may have caused. Good luck to you.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Paycom in August 2013.

It was a 4 round interview process. 1st with the Denver office manager, 2nd with the regional manager, 3rd was an appointment setting session, and last was a final interview with the CSO.

The 1st interview went great! It was obvious that the sales manager was very passionate about Paycom and the future of the company. She seemed to have great interaction with the team and she was very cheerful. She made it very clear what she was looking for in a candidate and her expectations of a new hire.

The 2nd interview also went well. The regional manager was very nice and made me feel like I would be a great fit for the company.

The appointment setting session was very difficult, but it made me realize how exciting the job can be. It challenged me and made want to keep fighting through in order to set the appointments so I could make it to the next step.

Lastly, the interview with the CSO went okay. I don't think I delivered very well on my overall sales experience. He questioned me a lot about my reasons as to why I wanted to relocate to Denver.

I ended up getting asked to get more sales experience and come back and reapply to Paycom down the road. I was very disappointed, but I am confident I would have been a great fit for this company. The amount of pay is rediculous and I am planning on reapplying in another year or so!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about the persons who was ranked #1 in your last position. What did he/she do that you didn't do?   Answer Question

Oct 29, 2013Representative

Thank you for the detailed report of your experience. We encourage you to get some valuable sales experience and look forward to seeing your resume next year.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Paycom.

Recruiters were very nice and energetic. Made Paycom to seem like a very friendly environment. My interviewer was a young woman who recently relocated from North Carolina and what turned me off of the company was her comment about being shocked that people refused to speak English to her in Miami. The comment was inappropriate for an interview sounded almost racist towards Hispanic. Being a caucasian Hispanic woman myself, I was taken back and shocked that a manager would have the gumption to mention that in an interview. She seemed moody and arrogant upon her late arrival to the office and nobody appeared happy in the office. You could hear a pin drop and everyone seemed new.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were normal, nothing off base but interviewer did not seem interested in the interviewer.   Answer Question

Aug 7, 2013Representative

We’re sorry to hear about your experience and are looking into this matter. This isn’t normal behavior of our employees or management, nor do we condone such behavior. At Paycom we promote equal ... More