Paycom Sales Representative Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2015

3.3

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Paycom (Boston, MA) in January 2015.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me via Linkedin and instead of setting me up on a call with herself, the hiring sales manager in the Boston office called me instead. I was caught off guard with the bypass of the recruiter, but the sales manager insisted because he was so impressed with my resume. We hit it off over the phone, he seemed like a real down to earth guy that was easy to get along with and he invited me into the office the next night. Once I got there, I sat down across from the hiring sales manager and also a tenured rep on his team. The sales manager did not look up from my resume once the entire interview. He grilled me on every little aspect of my resume; why I had a month in between jobs, why I didn't pursue a professional job immediately out of school, etc. He asked some real fluffy questions, too, such as, "who is your biggest role model" and "what motivates you in life?" Was that guy seriously going to decide whether to hire me or not based off questions like that? When I finally got the opportunity to ask some questions, I asked the hiring manager if he had any reservations about hiring me. He said he was disappointed that I didn't have a professional job secured right out of college and that he only wants to hire people who are 100% gun ho perusing sales. I guess taking two small jobs after college to figure out what you want to do is not taken lightly at Paycom.

Interview Questions

• Are you intrinsically or extrinsically motivated?   1 Answer

Paycom Response

Feb 6, 2015 – Representative

I am sorry to hear about your experience and can assure you this is not the norm in any of our offices across the nation. Thank you for your comments and we wish you the best in future endeavors.

Other Interview Reviews for Paycom

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Paycom (Washington, DC) in January 2015.

Interview

The process is pretty typical. You have a phone call from a recruiter, if you meet the qualifications and seem like a good fit you meet with the manager of the office you are interviewing for, then if they like you, you would come in for a phone canvassing session where you meet the team and try to set three appointments. If you make it past the phone canvassing session you interview with your regional manager.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in working here?   1 Answer

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Paycom.

Interview

There are a few steps involved in the interview process, but the recruiters do a great job of walking you through what is involved for each step. You know where you stand at each point, and each step gives you a look inside the company from a different angle. If you take advantage of it, the interview process gives you a great idea of whether this is the position for you before you take that leap from another employer.

Interview Questions

• Why are you the person for this position over all the other applicants?   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Paycom in October 2014.

Interview

The interview process is as advertised here on glassdoor, challenging and yet rewarding if you make it through like I did. They look for the best which is a big reason why the company is growing to what it is. I've heard a stat (not sure if its true or not) that they hire only 4% of all interviewing applicants for sales representatives which means they have a ton of people applying. And while a lot are probably applying with no chance at the job which helps that stat still there are tons of qualified applicants that get turned down because they cant make it through the gauntlet or do bad on making their appointments in the final interviewing process or various other reasons I'm sure. Overall it was very rewarding getting the job offer and I was very happy to accept.

Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Paycom (Parsippany, NJ) in September 2014.

Interview

Recruiters walk you through the process as do the managers. It is easy to get hired if you have half a brain and you can convince people you are willing to work ridiculous hours and hit quotas no matter what it takes.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to relocate?   1 Answer

Ignore the recruiters and the managers because they are the ones that stand to make money if you get hired. Here is the deal. If you have a fluid life, and are willing to relocate thousands of miles away, feel free to work here. All reviews about crazy hours, no time off, but incredible compensation is true. However, do not plan to stay put in your current location. Once succeed for a few years you will be asked to relocate to manage an office. If you decline, your next option will be to travel for weeks/months on end to territories outside of your current state for sales work. If you refuse that, good luck keeping your job. People that do not move up to manager, and refuse to travel, will definately be let go. Don't believe me? Go on Linkedin and try to find sales reps or exec reps that remained employed in their original location for more than 5 years. 870 employees and you may find 1 or 2 existing exec reps that were not let go or did not move on. Why do they do this? Well to start, you make 50k. In a few years? 120k! Why pay someone triple the pay for cold calling and canvassing when you can use your world renowned training to get young employees up to speed quickly and pay 50k for similar results. It's all about profit margins people. If you are looking for job security, longevity in your current location, look elsewhere.

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Paycom.

Interview

Interviewing with Paycom was timely and efficient. I spoke to a recruiter by phone, and sent her my resume. She had me apply online, and then I was scheduled to interview with the Sales Manager the next week. From there I interviewed with the Regional Manager. The last step in the interview is the phone canvass session. I think it's great that phone-canvassing is apart of the interview, it gives people a sneak peak at what a job with Paycom would be like.

Interview Questions

• Most difficult was probably phone canvass session just because it was not something I had ever done before. But they prep you, and it's more of a mental test seeing how you are able to adapt and roll with it.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Paycom.

Interview

Phone interview, manger interview, regional manager interview, executive interview. Manager canceled my first interview the day of about an hour before the interview because they had to go on a sales call. I was not happy about that since I lived an hour and a half away from the interview site and felt it was extremely unprofessional that someone from corporate called me to cancel with only an hour of lead time. The manager didn't even call to cancel and reschedule and apologize. Second interview was via webcam, final was in person. Standard interview questions and process.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They will not negotiate anything - not even vacation time or a signing bonus.

Paycom Response

Jul 22, 2014 – Representative

Thank you for the feedback. We value your time and are very sorry to hear of your experience. We will use your feedback as a means to improve the recruiting process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Paycom (New York, NY) in June 2014.

Interview

You have a phone screening, a video interview with a manager, an in-office interview that includes a cold-call prospecting session, an interview with the regional manager, then an interview with the Chief Sales Officer. I turned down three other job offers and accepted my offer at Paycom. A week and a half later, they call me and tell me my offer is being withdrawn because of a non-criminal underage drinking citation I received in college 7 years ago. Ignoring that asinine policy in itself--the messed up part is that I had already told my recruiter about the citation on our first phone call two months prior to receiving the offer. Upon speaking to the HR Director I found out the recruiter had LIED to me and very likely lied to her bosses. Throughout the process I was lied to, made phone calls that went un-returned, and was generally treated unprofessionally. During the interview, they had me lie to prospective clients during the prospecting portion. Paycom's mistake cost me time and money. This company hires young people and encourages them to make money at all cost. They clearly don't value professional integrity and the lack of experience among their employees became painfully obvious during my situation. If you're willing to trade your integrity to make money, you'll find a home at Paycom.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were very difficult, but they told me if I treated this job as if I was married to it, I'd be able to make hundreds of thousands of dollars within 2-3 years.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There's no negotiation--it's all fixed.

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Paycom (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

The process was lengthy but it did give me a good insight to the company culture and job responsibilities. I met with both the sales manager in Phoenix and the regional sales manager both were very professional and knowledgeable about Paycom and where they see the company going.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult for me was the prospecting session. I did enjoy the team but this is where I realized this wasn't for me. The questions they asked made me think. They really wanted to get to know me and what drives me to success. Things I guess I had never thought about.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Paycom (Portland, OR) in June 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter via linked in. He said they were specifically asked to find candidates from my current plae of employment. After the phone screening with the recruiter the branch manager had me in for an interview. It went well, took about an hour. I felt e really tried to get in my head and made me think about if this job would be the right fit. After that I was contacted a week later by the recruiter and he gave me tips and tricks for a web interview with the regional vp. That went ok, but when they contacted me for a cold calling session I wasn't interested in the position. Still at the same job I started at.

Interview Questions

• What do you read? Books? Newspapers? Magazines?   1 Answer

See What Paycom Employees Are Saying

Current Executive Sales Representative in Austin, TX

Pros: “Paycom offers all sales representatives first class training and support from the moment you are hired. Corporate and pre-corporate training sessions are second to none and pack almost an...”“Paycom offers all sales representatives first class training and support from the moment you are hired. Corporate and pre-corporate training sessions are second to none and pack almost an entire business degree in to a one-month training course. It is the goal of Jeff York to become the #1 B2B sales force in the world and we are on the cusp of accomplishing this goal. I personally was hired directly out of college with zero sales experience and in one month was fully prepared to meet and level set with C-Levels executives of companies with anywhere from 100-2500 employees. This training and preparation will have you prepared to accomplish great things and the support along the way from your leaders and peers is phenomenal. As I have grown as a rep, so has Paycom. As our industry continues to grow Paycom is constantly updating our product to make sure the we have the best solution in the industry and that we are experts in our field. After 3 years with the company Paycom has provided me with amazing financial, business and personal growth opportunities. I have been promoted, I have been to President's Club, I have earning 5 times my initial salary in only my third year of work, I have bought a new car, I have bought a house, I have taken trips to exotic locations and I owe it all to my success at Paycom. There is truly no ceiling to your potential here. This job is not easy and will challenge you every single day in different ways. If you have the mental capacity and perseverance to make it through the initial roller coaster, the job gets easier and easier along the way and your earning potential grows with you. The job is hard but you must be harder, and you will be compensated appropriately.” – Full Review