Paycom

Average Difficulty
74 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Charlotte, NC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Paycom in December 2011.

Interview Details – I was referred to Paycom from an external recruiter. After I wen through the initial screen I made it to a Skype interview with the branch manger. The manager was not only late but it ended being a phone interview. I made it through that and she said she wanted me to speak with the Regional Manger that afternoon.

The Regional interview was also via Skype, I wait for our appointed time and kept waiting, I had not heard anything from anyone at the company. I finally called the Paycom recruiter and she said he has messed up the time and asked for a reschedule later that day. I decline since I already had plans, she understood and asked if I made it thorough the next round how quickly could I get to Charlotte (I'm based out of AL). After looking into it it was going to cost an exorbitant amount of money (which they would not reimburse me for).

The morning of the Regional Skype interview I did not heard from anyone again. I called and email the company recruiter with no answer until almost 3 hours later.

At this point I withdrew my self from the process to pursue other options. I received a call from the regional manger that night (8pm) asking for another chance.

The next morning I called him back, I was inclined to accept his request because of his extenuating circumstances. He requested another Skpye interview within 30 minutes.

He was so rude and did everything possible to make me fail at the interview. He asked "what something you recently over came"? I told him my finance class and them a few minutes later he asked me to tech him a finance theory. Not only does it not pertain to the position but the way he asked me was just absoutly rude.

They have no respect for you time or you as a person.

Interview Questions

Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Paycom in December 2011.

Interview Details – I got the phone interview through a recruiter. The phone interview was pretty easy and I asked if I could have the opportunity to interview face to face. The 1:1 interview lasted about 20 minutes, I was asked general questions about my experience and then asked to pick from a group of adjectives of which one describes me the best. After the 1:1 I was asked to have a webcam interview with the district manager. I thought I sold myself pretty well and would have made a nice addition to the small office but I was told days later that they were not going forward with the interview process. I wasn't really sure what they were looking for or why they decided I wasn't a good fit. The recruiter tried to get feedback on why I wasn't chosen to move on but received no response. The interview process is excessively drawn out and not receiving an offer after three interviews and my references being called upon was disappointing. The entire office was women, not one man, which I found odd. Oh well, I hope they find what they are looking for.

Interview Question – Were do you rank among the sales reps in your current company?   View Answer

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Paycom in April 2011.

Interview Details – Received a call from a pay com recruiter in another state. She set up an interview with Paycom atlanta office. The hiring manager came late to our meeting and seemed uninterested walking through the door as if she had better things to do. Be prepared to do some cold calling.

Interview Question – Persuade me to buy this pen?   Answer Question

Denver, CO

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Paycom in October 2011.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter out of Oklahoma City, from there she set me up with a one on one interview with the Denver Sales Manager. That went well! he's a very friendly and energetic guy! I was called back for a web cam interview with a regional sales manager just 2 days later (she too was a very friendly and made the interview a whole lot less stressful). So far that's where my process stands and I have nothing but good things to say about the entire process so far!

Interview Question – What made you the successful salesman in your current job?   Answer Question

Atlanta, GA

The process took a day - interviewed at Paycom in September 2011.

Interview Details – It was very direct interview that was short and only consisted of four questions. First my interviewer was late, then she didn't ask too many questions.

Interview Question – What are your goals in the next 5 years?   Answer Question

Bedford, TX

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Paycom in June 2011.

Interview Details – I got called from a staff firm and was enticed by the money. Met with the sales manager in Bedford, truly a nice guy. I was asked to participate in a phone canvassing session. I only made one appointment. He told me he would get back to me in a few days, but I never got so much as a phone call or an email from the company.

Interview Question – What is a sales experience you learned something from?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Washington, DC

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Paycom in June 2011.

Interview Details – If you're applying to this position, you must know, you need to be exactly the type of person they're looking for in ordered to be hired.....goal oriented, answering the questions "right", and prepared for a hard interview process. I was first contacted by a corporate recruiter to set my up my first round interview with the sales manager. The manager forgot to call me on 2 different occasions, and finally after the 3rd rescheduled interview on his behalf, we had a short 15 minute phone conversation. He asked me things like "are you an only child? What does your dad do for a living?" Thought it was weird....so didn't hear back until 2 weeks later, and the recruiter called and said "the manager really liked you and wants a1:1 interview. So I went up to DC for our 1:1. They failed to give me the Paycom pre-phone canvassing paperwork so instead of phone canvassing, which i was supposed to do, the manager asked me, again, very personal questions and tried to make a quick judgement because I was an only child from a divorced family- after talking with my HR professional at my law firm, she said you're not allowed to do that.... anyways, he basically said I'm not suited for the position but still made me wait 2 more hours for a web conference with the regional sales manager. That was awkward. He was very quick to get me out of there- BIG HINT- if they're quick to get you out of there and the say " Thanks for taking this time with us"- you're not getting the job. Sure enough, got the rejection email two days later. Great money, great company to work for, but it's really hard to get the job.

Interview Questions

Austin, TX

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Paycom in February 2011.

Interview Details – Was contacted by a recruiter via linkedin about the opportunity. Seems like a great job and pays well but this was the worst interview experience I have had. The manager that was interviewing me was 15 minutes late and then preceded to called me by the wrong name and obviously showed from the get go she was not prepared for this interview. She then seemed to just glance at my resume and ask about a few experiences on there to share about and let me ask questions and it was over. Though it wasn't a hard interview it was the most disrespectful in the sense the manager's attitude (although wasn't rude) suggested that she didn't care to take my interview seriously and my candidacy wasn't given a fair chance. Within 2 hours of the interview I was already notified by my recruiter a second interview wasn't needed.

I doubt that every Paycom manager is like this or I hope this manager might have been just having a bad day. But from an applicant standpoint it is extremely frustrating if you have been invited for interview for a job you have spent valuable time to prepare for and the paid employer can't give you that similar respect in preparation for your candidacy to be reviewed.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself   Answer Question

Bedford, TX

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Paycom in April 2011.

Interview Details – The company recruiter was very nice until after the interview process was concluded. She sent materials needed for the interview (all common sense) and a company PDF for the cold-calling session. After a one-on-one interview with the manager I came back in the next week for the cold-calling session. Before this the manager talked about company leads and such and acted as if cold-calling was a part of the sales process but not the MAIN way to do business. That is exactly opposite, after my cold-calling session in which I set 2 appts in 3 hours, the minimum is three to be offered an interview with the VP, he asked me to come back and try again. After I set the two appointments, I was handed a $40 gift-card that expired in 2 months and only had $2.50 on it.nThe manager then proceeded to tell me that 80% of their business is off COLD CALLING. This is when the recruiter was rude, didn't return calls and proceeded to send me a replacement without notification until 3 days later.. Yes they give you a small salary but it is not worth the amount of cold calling unless you are into that sort of selling, if so, this job is for you. I have an education and military experience, this was not for me. If you do not mind A LOT of cold calling, go apply and get a job.

Reason for Declining – I was asked to come back a second time to do the cold-calling session but declined. The manager believed I just needed to follow scripts and act like a call center person, no thanks.

Chicago, IL

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Paycom in January 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process began with a short phone interview with one of the company's recruiters. She asked me some very general questions (e.g. Why Paycom?, Why do you want to work in sales?, Why do you think you would be good at this position?) and to confirm the information stated on my resume.

Following this initial interview, it was about a 2 days before she called me back and said that the regional manager wanted to set up an interview for Friday (it was Wednesday when she called). The 1:1 face interview was pretty straight forward and lasted about 15-20 minutes. The regional manager took me into an empty conference room of a very new office (which was also quite empty) and began asking me a series of questions. The questions were mostly what you would expect from this sort of interview - Why Paycom?, Why sales?, Why would you be good at this position?, Explain why you chose your college major?, How would your past experiences help you?, and so on. There was one odd question, though, that he asked me. I graduated early from college and he asked me when I decided to do that and why I had waited so long to start looking for a job. I had NO IDEA how to answer that or what kind of answer he was even fishing for. I graduated early for financial reasons not because I knew what I wanted to do in like - what 22 year old does?

Apparently, even though I wasn't sure how the interview went, they liked me and called me back to do some phone canvassing, a.k.a. cold calling. I had never done this before and the recruiter for the company assured me that they wouldn't hold it against me if I didn't schedule any appointments with potential clients. WRONG! Paycom's hiring process is all about who can schedule the most appointments. The PC session took place on a Friday for me from 8am to 12pm. First of all, this was a problem because it was the morning and NO ONE wants to schedule appointments or even talk about payroll that early. Second of all, most of the people in charge of payroll or HR didn't work on Friday. After a long day of pretending to work for this company, we were sent home and told that they would contact us by the end of the day that Friday or by Monday at latest. I WAS NEVER CONTACTED. Monday came and went and there was no phone call. I tried calling and emailing the regional manager for a week but received no response. Finally, after two weeks of attempting to contact the regional manager and the recruiter, the recruiter finally called me and said that I wasn't chosen to go to the next phase of the interviewing process and that they WERE looking for someone who made more appointments. Aside from that, we were supposed to be compensated for the 4 hours we spent doing the PC. I NEVER was. I tried to contact the regional manager, the recruiter, the HQ of the company...no one ever responded to me.

Interview Question – Why is this the first interview you've had?   Answer Question