Payless ShoeSource Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Arlington, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, TX

I applied online - interviewed at Payless ShoeSource in August 2014.

First i got there and the manager was kinda busy.... she told me it will be quick and simply. She asked me" So tell me about yourself?, "What are you hobbies? ", "Do you love shoes?"Very simply only took 5 minutes.

Assistant Manager Interview

interviewed at Payless ShoeSource in March 2012.

basic hiring questions. why work for payless? what can you offer to this job? they basically read off a sheet of paper not caring to interact with the person they should be hiring.

Interview Questions
    • there wasn't any difficult questions. They kept it bland and simple and robotic. like I said they read everything off a piece of paper word for word   Answer Question
    there promising of pay raise once the training period was over and that wasn't happening.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Payless ShoeSource in August 2010.

Applied online and received a phone call from the store manager asking me to come in for an interview. She took me to the back room of the store and we talked for about half an hour. She was very pleasant and warm, explained upfront what the job would be like. At one point she chose a few shoes off the floor and asked me to sell them to her on the spot. At the end of the interview, she told me it would be between me and one other applicant and that I'd hear back early on in the next week--sure enough, I did! She offered me the job and I started a few days later. The whole process took about a week and a half.

Interview Questions
    • Basic questions you'd expect in an interview for a retail job.
      - What would you say are your greatest strengths and weaknesses?
      - Where do you see yourself in [however many years]?
      - Why are you interested in working for Payless?
      - What fashion trends, especially relating to shoes, have you noticed lately?
      - Tell me about a struggle you've overcome
      ...and so on.
        Answer Question
    No negotiations. They offer minimum wage, take it or leave it.

Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Payless ShoeSource.

2 interviews, first another store manager possibly the one that will train you for a very short period then DM when he can fit you in... total time: Approximately 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • None really, if you have experience draw on that. Pretty standard questions.IE: Tell me about a time you worked as a team on a project, what was your role, what was the outcome, how were differences between team members handled, what role did you play.. every question has a sub question to it and you are rated on how many of the key words you touch on.. scoring 1 to 5 then when you are finished with questions they will have you sell them a pair of shoes after giving you a scenario of a shopper coming in. Make sure you add an accessory, explain the promo and ask open ended questions to find out what your customer is looking for. If you don't know open ended questions or anything about sales you will not do well with the "selling them a shoe" part.   Answer Question
    none really. this is what we can pay you but you can bonus quarterly which is in tiers; gold, silver and bronze, percentages are calculated against LY and then that percentage goes off your quarterly pay, not very encouraging especially if you are put in a low volume store which is usually where new managers go for a year.

Sales Associate Interview

First you will have to fill out an application online and they will review it. You should go in and follow up because they have a lot of people applying, they will ask your name and see if you qualify for interview and if you do , you're in luck. if not then try applying again and pay close attention to the questions

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Garden City, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Garden City, KS

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Payless ShoeSource in February 2013.

Applied online, called multiple times until finally getting a call back from manager, set up an interview date and was hired after being asked basic multiple hiring questions. For example, "Describe a difficult time in your life, and how you were able to overcome it." The manger was nice and straight forward and told me what was to be expected at work so nothing was a surprise. After I got the job, I then figured out that the lady who had hired me not only managed our store but another store in a different location. Regular employees were then in charge of the store until we were able to find a new store manager.

Part-Time Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Payless ShoeSource in September 2013.

Got called in for a group interview. There were all the managers and assistant manager from all locations there. Went in and they had us stand in a circle. They called this the ice breaker. They basically had us answer questions pertaining to ourselves and our personalities. This took about 20-30 minutes considering that there were about 11 of us. After that, we had a 5 minute break where we could use the bathroom or get a drink from the nearby Starbucks. We then returned and we had to pick one shoe from the store. We then had to try and sell that shoe to the person on our left. This is the part where they wanna see your selling skills so make sure you sound enthusiastic and confident even though you hardly know anything about their product. After the group interview, the manager from the waipahu location took me aside and told me that she'll be calling within the week to schedule a second interview.

I got a call the next day asking if I could come in on Monday around 6pm. I got to the interview about 10 minutes early and had to wait a while. She then took me to the back room where she interviewed me. She basically asked me questions pertaining to my previous work experience (which I had none, so I had to use examples from dance or community service) and about team work. Payless is big about team work so just think about times when you worked within a team. This process took about 20 minutes or so. She then took me back into the front in the aisles where we had to role play; I was a sales associate and she was a customer. Trust me, this was the most nerve-racking part of the interview but just stay calm and do what any other retail sales associate would do, which is SELL! The manager will not make this role play hard. They just wanna see how you are with customers and again, want to see your selling skills.

When this was over, she took me back into the back room where she offered me the job and welcomed me to the team.

I did not negotiate.

District Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Payless ShoeSource in May 2014.

The recruiter was very good. At all times through the process kept me informed of next steps and followed up in a timely manner.

Testing was extensive, but not difficult; I anticipated more logic and business issues during the decision making portion.

During the interview with the Regional, became apparent that the role was not a good fit for either party. This position is highly operational.

Interview Questions
    • Many of the questions were geared toward finding out procedural practices in my company rather than how I actually operate.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  North Attleboro, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Attleboro, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Payless ShoeSource.

Filled out an application online and was then called to set up an interview about 3 days later. The manager doing the interview was really nice and asked me about 7 questions and rated my response to each one. Once we finished the questions she then asked me to role play selling her shoes. I recommend greeting them like a regular customer, they will then have you pick out 2 pairs of shoes. Once that's done make sure you offer a bag or something else to their purchase. Once you've offered them something else ask if they are ready to get checked out. After the role playing was done she told me she would call me with in a week to schedule a second interview. Many weeks passed and i still had received no call back, i then went to the same store to shop when the manager that had interviewed me recognized me. She said she had lost my application and wanted my number and name again, then told me she would call me in 3 days to schedule the second interview. 1 week past and i called her back to ask about my interview, she then told me to call back the next day to schedule the interview. I now have my second interview on Monday with the general manager at a different location to the one i applied too.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about a time when you were working in a group and something went wrong. What was it and how did you fix it?   Answer Question

Full Time Key Carrier Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Payless ShoeSource.

The process was pretty simple, although it took about 3 weeks. The interview was pretty simple and an easy process. I had to interview with the store leader first and then the group leader.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were pretty standard interview questions. Nothing was difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question
    corporate sets the pay rate. Very little if any room for negotiation.

Worked for Payless ShoeSource? Contribute to the Community!