Peace Corps Interview Questions

Updated Sep 2, 2015

2.7

Ced Interview

Interview

There was two phone interviews and a language interview. The first interview was mostly to see your commitment to the organization and why you applied. The second interview is more about your technical skills and talking about the area you want to work in. The language interview happens after you get into the Peace Corps but it is good know to prepare before hand

PC Volunteer - Indonesia Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sumter, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Sumter, SC).

Interview

I applied back in April 2015 and did all the online forms for pre medical. In June 2015 I got an email telling me I was being considered for placement in Indonesia leaving March 2016. Around July 20th I got my invite to interview via Lync (the new way they are doing it now with your placement officer) and set my interview for july 28th (today!). Check your spam folder for your interview invite!! I got prepared with the questions from the Wiki page everyone talks about and she also included some topics she would cover in her interview confirmation. All in all the interview took 45 minutes and she didnt ask me all the questions i reviewed (the email said an hour to an hour an half... idk if thats a good or a bad thing). We started off with questions about my motivation for wanting to join and that went into the situation and experience based questions where she asked question like "tell me about a time when..." , I stumbled on a few but pushed forward, next came the "how will you handle this" section and wrapped it up well in the question and answer portion. During the interview I got the feeling maybe she didnt like me too much, but by the end during the question and answer portion she seemed to lighten up and become more friendly when talking about her own experience serving. Now it's time for waiting for the invite.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to join the Peace Corps?   Answer Question
    • Have you studied a second language?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to work in an ambiguous situation   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you failed to do something. What would you do now?   Answer Question
    • Tell about a time when you had to work in a group of 3 or more   Answer Question

Water Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Washington, DC).

Interview

The whole process took a long time. The interview itself went very well. However, I had to get some extra experience in order to be placed in my desired sector. Though, it seems they mainly wanted to ensure I would do what it took to be accepted and prove that I would commit to staying the whole 2 years.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (New York, NY).

Interview

I was interviewed as part of a couple so this may be different than other people's experiences. I was interviewed initially for 2 hours and then my partner was interviewed for 2 hours and we were interviewed for about 1 hour together. Overall the experience was pretty average in that they asked questions and we answered. The best part of the process, though, was talking to the recruiter about her experience as a volunteer. She shared with us about her time in Africa and was very candid about how challenging her experience was. I think most interviewers are returned volunteers so that helps.

Interview Questions

• Why Peace Corps?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if something happened to your partner and they needed to leave the country?   Answer Question
    • How would you feel about working with people who were very different than you?   Answer Question
    • Would you be comfortable working with people who have different values than you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Chapel Hill, NC).

Interview

After sending my application materials through the online platform, I was contacted about an on-campus interview with the university Peace Corps recruiter. She was a returned volunteer, and she was very helpful answering my questions with stories of her own during the interview. The questions she asked me were sometimes repetitive (e.g., describe hardest situation, describe situation that frustrated me, describe situation where I didn't think I'd succeed, etc.). Having served in the Peace Corps since the interview, I understand why these questions are necessary, but sometimes they made the interview difficult because I wanted to come up with new examples for each question. After the interview, Peace Corps has to analyze all of the application materials and the interview recommendations. That part of the process takes the longest amount of time. If you've had medical procedures, it'll probably take even longer. Then, you receive a packet in the mail that has all of the information in it--where you're going, what the country is like, what volunteers there do, what kind of volunteer you'll be, what to buy, when you'll leave, how to deal with culture shock, etc. From then, you'll have about a week to decide if you're going or not. I went. Greatest decision of my life.

Interview Questions

• Has there ever been a time when you thought you should quit something?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

I went through the process with the old system and have heard that it has changed significantly since, but my experience was pretty straightforward. I applied online, an interview was requested at the regional office, I had my interview and was told i would be nominated. We looked through the openings and didn't see one that matched my skills and experiences so we waited a few weeks. Finally, something came up that felt right so my interviewer (former PCV) nominated me for that program (it was very vague at that stage- sustainable agriculture volunteer in latin america), I began the paperwork (medical clearance, background check, etc) and had to wait a few months for all of that to get processed. Finally, after 6 months (I applied July 09)I was sent an invitation (December 09) to be a Sustainable Agribusiness Volunteer in Ecuador leaving February 2010.

Interview Questions

• There were a lot of "how would you react in this situation" questions. The interviewers are all Returned Peace Corps Volunteers themselves so they have first hand knowledge of the experiences and what kind of person would make a good volunteer, so most of the questions are aimed at getting to the bottom of that aspect.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I accepted the offer and packed my bags and left for 2.5 years a couple months later.

Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Spokane, WA).

Interview

My recruiter literally walked through the questions listed on the Peace Corps Wiki website, word for word. Since I had found the list of questions prior to my interview, I was able to prepare adequately. I highly recommend everyone checking out this website in preparation for your Peace Corps interview. Also, it's a very good list to help you mentally prepare for your service. The full list of questions can be found on the Peace Corps Wiki site under Interview Questions.

Interview Questions

• Please tell me about a time when you worked in an unstructured or ambiguous situation? How did you approach the task at hand? What did you learn about your personal strengths from that experience?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 9+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

Standard interview process. However, due to the work and nature of the Peace Corps, I recommend describing your background in a way that presents you as worldly. This can be achieved through remarks about an experience in a culture different from your own, extensive traveling, or knowledge you have about another country--particularly those of the global South.

Interview Questions

• All questions are fairly straight forward. You won’t find any curveballs with PC.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

The interview was more behavioral than skills based. Peace Corps has a number of candidates that fit their skills needs, what they need is, "Are you going to last two years?" and will you fit the "Peace Corps Corps Values?" Research behavioral questions online and practice your responses, also explain in how previous experience in the field or job matches.

Volunteer Interview

Interview

Interview process took about a year to complete, including over the phone talks and medical reviews. I would suggest working with the Peace Corps recruiter in your area to prepare as well as answer any questions you have about service and working with the Peace Corps.