Peace Corps Interview Questions

2.7

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, ME
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, ME

I applied online. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in February 2009.

Very thorough interview by the recruiter. Lots of questions about my background and flexibility and anticipated challenges. Interviewer read thru my entire application packet and asked many questions. Asked about my geographic preferences for where I'd like to be placed but it was important to show flexibility re a potential assignment (eg don't say that you'll only go to country x)

Minimal

Technical Trainer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kingston (Jamaica)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kingston (Jamaica)

I applied online – interviewed at Peace Corps in April 2009.

Very transparent advertising process for the job. The application process is very specific . Long application that must be tailored to the knowledge , skills and abilities (KSA's) of peace corps . Interviewing is by panel, there is a point scoring method. The process is explained at the beginning of interview . Members of the panel take turns . Interview may take up to 1hour. Friendly staff , work environment is not very intense, maybe because its bit about meeting monetary deadlines. I have heard of culture clashes between interviewers and my colleagues( Americans and locals ) but nothing major.

Interview Questions
    • Make a presentation to the panel on an area which you might be presenting on to volunteers   View Answer
    It's a non-negotiable offer . Salary was already stated in job advert .

Agriculture Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Peace Corps in February 2010.

Long application to fill out online. Then there are face to face interviews where answers are copied down meticulously. If you get through that process you have a long list of medical examinations. Then if your site gets rescheduled you may have to have another interview over the phone.

Interview Questions
    • What life experiences have prepared you for experiences in Africa?   Answer Question
    There is none... You get paid very little. It's about the experience.

Administrative Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in June 2009.

I received an email and phone call requesting an interview within 2 days. The interview was standardized and the panel took notes of my answers. It was very formal and seemed as if they had already hired someone or were just going through the motions. There was no conversation- probably the strangest interview I've had.

Volunteer Interview

Very long interview process. Phone interview, in person interview. Medical and dental evaluations and more phone interviews with headquarters. Application process took me two years from start to finish (placement notification).

Interview Questions
    • Would you be willing to change your physical appearance?   Answer Question

Country Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in August 2010.

This is a government agency and the hiring process is lengthy for overseas jobs. Once you get to the interview stage, though, Peace Corps' core values come through at every stage. They are genuinely nice people! Once you successfully complete the interview process, your name goes on a roster of eligible candidates and you wait for an opening to come up that fits your qualifications. It was about 15 months end to end.

Interview Questions
    • A scenario posed by the director of the agency about volunteer support.   Answer Question
    Short. There is very little negotiation.

Country Desk Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online – interviewed at Peace Corps.

The hiring process included an initial panel interview including potential colleagues and a final interview with the Regional Director and the Chief of Operations

Interview Questions
    • The questions were largely situational. For example, the interviewer presents you with a possible situation and you have to discuss how you would respond.   Answer Question
    Brief. It was an entry level job and I accepted the salary offered.

Department: Director of Programming and Training Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

Apply on line - process takes 2-6 months. Security background check takes av. 6 weeks additional.

Interview Questions
    • Hiring is often done by the Country Director of the post in question - they may involve some members of their staff in the telephone interview. There tend to be many "scenario" questions - usually about three.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ithaca, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ithaca, NY

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in April 2010.

You will do the initial online application, submitting your resume, essays, and additional information, plus have to get 3 letters of recommendation submitted.

Later, you will be contacted by a regional recruiter who will do an in person interview. A lot of the questions are about your background, why you are interested in joining the Peace Corps, your thoughts on living abroad, volunteer service, etc. Pretty basic. I was asked to describe a lot about my previous abroad experience, and also a lot about my background in health (I said I wanted to be a health volunteer). They ask you several times about your commitment to serve abroad, away from family and friends, for such an extended amount of time.

If you do well on the interview, you will be nominated for a position, and then you have to pass medical and security/background clearance. Make sure you do all your appointments as quickly as possible and submit everything as soon as possible so your application can keep rolling. A lot of people get stumped here. It's easy to get done, you just need to turn everything in without errors, and follow up with the DC office often.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to describe a time where I didn't agree with a situation, but felt I could not do anything about it.   Answer Question
    Obviously you don't negotiate salary with Peace Corps, but sometimes you can negotiate where you go/when you leave... although I don't recommend it because they most likely won't do it and it will make you look worse.

Peace Corps Volunteers Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in October 2010.

Interview was long due to questions and placement (decision was essentially made that day). Interviewer had taken his position after returning from PC service and also participating in on campus recruiting events - made me feel comfortable and at ease. Waiting 8 months to get my invitation letter to leave just 2 months later.

Interview Questions
    • How I would deal with feeling isolated   View Answer
    Recommended for Spanish speaking country and Community Health - felt I had little flexibility to ask for Africa region.