Peace Corps Interview Questions

OMS Interview

Very thorough. Background check required

Sustainable Agriculture Extension Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

You fill out the application online and then you do an in-person interview at one the Peace Corps regional offices. If all your medical paperwork clears, you'll be offered a position.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time you were placed in a new environment- what did you do?   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Regional Recruiter Interview

Situational interview.

Interview Questions
    • How would you respond to someone who asks if Peace Corps is dangerous?   Answer Question
    Federal salaries are nonn-negotiable unless you've previously held a federal position at a higher pay rate.

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

I applied online, received a packet of info to fill out. Completed this over a long time frame (medical evaluations). Called in for interview and told I was in before it was over

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Peace Corps in August 2013.

After submitting my application with references, I was contacted by a regional recruiter to set up an interview time. The office was tucked away into the side of a really upscale building complete with security guard, fountain, and glass doors. The clerk at the front desk and the recruiter were an absolute pleasure to talk to, and I didn't feel uncomfortable about any part of the process. The only thing to prepare for is an interview that can last upwards of 2 hours.

Interview Questions
    • Describe an ambiguous or unstructured situation you've been in. How did you work through it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

The hiring process was rigorous. There was an extensive essay process, in person interview, and a lengthy medical and legal check.

Interview Questions
    • Being asked about gender issues and how I'd feel living in countries with differing gender roles.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Public Health Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

After attending several recruiting events, I completed an online application. I was then contacted by a regional recruiter, who I interviewed with in person. The recruiter helped me to determine what type of volunteer I should be given my education and background, and approved my application for placement. I then waited several weeks to hear from PCHQ--I received my invitation a month before I departed.

Interview Questions
    • How will you deal with the stress of cultural challenges and the difficulty of the Peace Corps lifestyle?   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I went to a campus event at my college, got all the information I needed and filled out an application. After that was finished, I had an interview with the campus Peace Corps recruiter, which took about 2 hours. The interview wasn't very difficult, the questions were mostly focused on getting to know me and whether I was ready to spend 2+ years living in another country.

Interview Questions
    • Don't remember: again, the interview wasn't difficult or especially probing: just be yourself.   Answer Question

Community and Business Development Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

You basically go through a long process that really shouldn't be that long but it is because your working with a Government Organization.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult really, questions regarding where and how have you dealt with other cultures before.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

After your application is submitted, you will be asked a brief health questionnaire. Then you will have an interview (phone or in person) then a background and medical check. Once everything is clear then you will be placed to a specific country. Typically it takes six months but it could take up to 2 years.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of situational questions, describe a time when you had to teach someone something, describe a time when you didn't agree with someone, how did you handle that situation? Describe a time when you were uncomfortable/ unfamiliar with something, how did you handle it?   View Answer
    there is no negotiation phase, you either accept your country invitation or you don't. If you decline twice, you are no longer considered.