Peace Corps

61 candidate interviews

Public Health Volunteer Interview

Public Health Volunteer
Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview Details – After attending several recruiting events, I completed an online application. I was then contacted by a regional recruiter, who I interviewed with in person. The recruiter helped me to determine what type of volunteer I should be given my education and background, and approved my application for placement. I then waited several weeks to hear from PCHQ--I received my invitation a month before I departed.

Interview Question – How will you deal with the stress of cultural challenges and the difficulty of the Peace Corps lifestyle?   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview Details – The application can be a very lengthy and tiring process. It included several pages of information, ranging from detailed health information to personal information to work and education details. You will have a several hour interview if your application is up to par, where they will discuss possible placement areas and your willingness to accept these areas. You will then have to get detailed(and very annoying) health check-ups and dental check-ups before being cleared for a position.

Interview Question – They mostly concentrate on your cross-cultural skills, asking about situations where you were exposed to different cultures and how you responded.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview Details – The hiring process was rigorous. There was an extensive essay process, in person interview, and a lengthy medical and legal check.

Interview Question – Being asked about gender issues and how I'd feel living in countries with differing gender roles.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interviewed at Peace Corps

Interview Details – The interview was in a college recruiter's office. It took almost an hour and most of the questions were behavioral type. He then had me rank how willing I would be to adapt to certain situations I might encounter for example bucket bathing, having to walk/bike long distances to get to my job, dressing modestly even in a hot climate where the people were extremely conservative etc....

Interview Question – If you have a boyfriend/girlfriend and how they feel about you leaving?   Answer Question

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview Details – After your application is submitted, you will be asked a brief health questionnaire. Then you will have an interview (phone or in person) then a background and medical check. Once everything is clear then you will be placed to a specific country. Typically it takes six months but it could take up to 2 years.

Interview Question – A lot of situational questions, describe a time when you had to teach someone something, describe a time when you didn't agree with someone, how did you handle that situation? Describe a time when you were uncomfortable/ unfamiliar with something, how did you handle it?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – there is no negotiation phase, you either accept your country invitation or you don't. If you decline twice, you are no longer considered.

Peace Corps Volunteer

The process took a day - interviewed at Peace Corps in July 2009.

Interview Details – After submitting my application online, I was almost immediately contacted by email by my regional recruiter. She said she would send me an additional packet of information to fill out, and I would bring that to the interview. During the interview (lasted about 1.5 hours), the recruiter asked many questions starting with "Tell me about a time when..." Be prepared to talk about a frustrating situation, a time when you taught someone something, how you handle an unstructured environment, and a time when you had trouble following a rule.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had trouble following a rule.   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a frustrating situation you found yourself in, or a frustrating person you had to deal with.   Answer Question

El Segundo, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Peace Corps in August 2013.

Interview Details – After submitting my application with references, I was contacted by a regional recruiter to set up an interview time. The office was tucked away into the side of a really upscale building complete with security guard, fountain, and glass doors. The clerk at the front desk and the recruiter were an absolute pleasure to talk to, and I didn't feel uncomfortable about any part of the process. The only thing to prepare for is an interview that can last upwards of 2 hours.

Interview Question – Describe an ambiguous or unstructured situation you've been in. How did you work through it?   Answer Question

Regional Recruiter Interview

Regional Recruiter
Minneapolis, MN

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview Details – Interviewed with two people. Could correctly anticipate questions based on responsibilities of the position - recruiting, public speaking, interviewing.

Peace Corps Volunteer

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Peace Corps in October 2008.

Interview Details – Asked me lots of questions from describing myself, how I cope with change, how I would handle certain situations. They wanted to make sure I was "flexible". The interviewer took lots of notes during the interview, which was about 3 hours long. At the end I was asked if I had any questions. I had several. The interviewer said she liked that I had questions prepared.

Interview Question – Are you willing to work and live in a country in which women have no rights?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Peace Corps in January 2009.

Interview Details – Online application with recommendations and essays, in person interview with recruiter, nomination via phone, medical & background check, invitation

Interview Question – How do you deal with stress?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None.