Peace Corps Interview Questions

Updated Aug 24, 2015

2.7

Volunteer Interview

Interview

Interview process took about a year to complete, including over the phone talks and medical reviews. I would suggest working with the Peace Corps recruiter in your area to prepare as well as answer any questions you have about service and working with the Peace Corps.

Health Extension Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Wilmington, NC) in September 2012.

Interview

The process was very long, and had many steps. Mine took more than 18 month from the time that i applied to the time that I was invited to serve in a country. However, the process is now much shorter and easier to navigate. Most of it is paperwork that you have to submit by certain times. The in-person interviews were quite relaxed. It was mostly them assessing to see what your goals were and why you wanted to join PC. Also, they ask questions to ascertain that you creative, flexible and open enough to live and work in a whole new country. If this is your passion, it will be a breeze, but if you are not sure, I would advice talking to someone who has volunteered or worked abroad to see what they found to be challenging, exciting and so on before your interviews.

Interview Questions

• what do you think will be the biggest challenge living and working in a new country, and how will you deal with it?   1 Answer

Water Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Washington, DC).

Interview

The whole process took a long time. The interview itself went very well. However, I had to get some extra experience in order to be placed in my desired sector. Though, it seems they mainly wanted to ensure I would do what it took to be accepted and prove that I would commit to staying the whole 2 years.

PC Volunteer - Indonesia Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sumter, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Sumter, SC).

Interview

I applied back in April 2015 and did all the online forms for pre medical. In June 2015 I got an email telling me I was being considered for placement in Indonesia leaving March 2016. Around July 20th I got my invite to interview via Lync (the new way they are doing it now with your placement officer) and set my interview for july 28th (today!). Check your spam folder for your interview invite!! I got prepared with the questions from the Wiki page everyone talks about and she also included some topics she would cover in her interview confirmation. All in all the interview took 45 minutes and she didnt ask me all the questions i reviewed (the email said an hour to an hour an half... idk if thats a good or a bad thing). We started off with questions about my motivation for wanting to join and that went into the situation and experience based questions where she asked question like "tell me about a time when..." , I stumbled on a few but pushed forward, next came the "how will you handle this" section and wrapped it up well in the question and answer portion. During the interview I got the feeling maybe she didnt like me too much, but by the end during the question and answer portion she seemed to lighten up and become more friendly when talking about her own experience serving. Now it's time for waiting for the invite.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to join the Peace Corps?   Answer Question
    • Have you studied a second language?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to work in an ambiguous situation   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you failed to do something. What would you do now?   Answer Question
    • Tell about a time when you had to work in a group of 3 or more   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 11+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Chicago, IL) in September 2012.

Interview

It's long. Took 11 months for me but it's shorter now and you are able to choose where you want to go. Medical Clearance can be hard and expensive but at the end of the day it's in your best interest.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a cross-cultural work experience you have had.   Answer Question

Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Oakland, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

There was only one interview with a recruiter who had been a volunteer in West Africa previously. The interview lasted about 40 minutes, and there was plenty of opportunity to ask questions about possible work sites. I was rated as a health volunteer based on my education, so there were opportunities all over the world in health work.

Interview Questions

• Where do you want to live, and will you accept an assignment i the tropics? I did not want to live in the tropics again due to excessive heat and humidity - I wanted a new experience - but I said yes.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was given the choice between going to Benin or Uganda, and I asked to see the job descriptions for both. Once we received our invitation, we had only 4 days to accept the offer, and we knew if we did not accept, there would not be another offer! Peace Corps has changed its procedures recently, so applicants have more choice in accepting or rejecting offers now, I believe.

Program Support Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Washington, DC).

Interview

It was a one time panel interview with three interviewers. Standard interview questions (tell us about yourself, describe a time when you provided customer service over the phone, describe data entry experience), then we did a role play. For the role play they gave specific company policy quickly and the interviewee had to role play a helpful employee discussing a policy with an irritated customer. After that, there was an editing quiz. The interviewee had to find all of the mistakes on a sheet of paper, and then present the mistakes.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you had a conflict at work, and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Press Office Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Washington, DC) in February 2012.

Interview

The interview process was pretty slow due to the processing time it takes for background checks and paperwork. I had one 30 minute in-person interview and felt comfortable even though I did not bring much previous experience. The staff was welcoming and flexible with my schedule. It took a few weeks to complete all the background paperwork but from there it was smooth sailing.

Interview Questions

• Why Peace Corps and how will this internship help you in your career?   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 9+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

Standard interview process. However, due to the work and nature of the Peace Corps, I recommend describing your background in a way that presents you as worldly. This can be achieved through remarks about an experience in a culture different from your own, extensive traveling, or knowledge you have about another country--particularly those of the global South.

Interview Questions

• All questions are fairly straight forward. You won’t find any curveballs with PC.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Response Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

The interview was more behavioral than skills based. Peace Corps has a number of candidates that fit their skills needs, what they need is, "Are you going to last two years?" and will you fit the "Peace Corps Corps Values?" Research behavioral questions online and practice your responses, also explain in how previous experience in the field or job matches.