Peace Corps Interview Questions

Updated Mar 22, 2015
Updated Mar 22, 2015

2.8

Business Advisor & Educator Interview

Hiring and interviewing with the Peace Corps is rather long and arduous, although, recently the organization has implemented a new format in hopes to streamline and expedite the overall process. I, however, cannot speak to the new procedures. Essentially begins with filling out a lot of information online (nothing new here), there is an initial interview that is very basic, more of an informal discussion to get to know you and how prepared you may be to live abroad in a foreign setting. There will be an additional interview, medical check-up, FBI background check...essentially, you must really want to be a Peace Corps Volunteer.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions, the interview was very straight forward. Most questions were centered around leaving your home and living in a foreign country.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation, you accept all presented terms or you decline.

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

online application, interview with recruiter who nominates you, extensive medical process, after completion you will get a invitation to a country. (this process has recently changed, you also now get to chose possible countries you want to go to)

Interview Questions
    • What is a cultural difference you've experienced while living in the States?   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Peace Corps.

Was very laborious when I applied in 2007, but now it is automated and waaaaaaay easier. I believe now you can select where you want to serve and what type of project you are interested in.

Interview Questions
    • They ask a lot of personal questions - relationship, drug/alcohol use, etc.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Hiring is now easier than ever, you get to choose where you want to serve (it you are qualified enough). Interviewing is pretty straightforward, although they WILL ask personal questions, such as, what will you and your significant other do when you go to the Peace Corps?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, NM
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, NM

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in February 2010.

It used to be an extremely long process (it took me over two years between writing my initial application to becoming a Peace Corps Trainee), but that doesn't matter anymore because they streamlined the hiring process. Now it is much better, says my sister who works for Peace Corps.

You apply online, meet with a Peace Corps recruiter, complete an extremely in-depth medical check, and a clearance check. The medical check is the most cumbersome part (vision, dental, and more).

The actual interview is simple, they just want to see if you'd be fit.

Interview Questions
    • Would you be willing to live in a country where women are very discriminated?Are you a vegetarian? Would you be willing to change that?   View Answer

Volunteer Interview

interviewed at Peace Corps in May 2009.

The interview was quite simple. I was asked questions about my past experience abroad, how I felt in cross-cultural settings, what program area I felt my skills were most suited to, and what challenges I anticipated as a volunteer. I got the feeling that it was unlikely I would say anything that would negatively affect my application. The recruiter was pleasant and the process was smooth. I went on to serve happily and successfully as a volunteer for three years.

However, I've since learned that the organization accepts pretty much everyone who can clear the lengthy medical screening process. The applicant/volunteer's actual ability to serve only becomes truly apparent once he or she is out in the field, and this ability is hard to accurately assess in a brief interview in the States.

Interview Questions
    • How would you feel about changing your manner of dress or self-presentation to better fit in with a local population? (I am a female, and at the time of my interview I had VERY short hair.)   View Answer

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

I applied online, received a packet of info to fill out. Completed this over a long time frame (medical evaluations). Called in for interview and told I was in before it was over

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Peace Corps in March 2010.

The 1 on 1 interview consisted of a series of questions such as "Are you willing to suffer a lot in a foreign country?". I said "yes". This went on for a while. I was assigned a sector in a highly arbitrary way, asked in which general region I would rather live, and 2 years of my future were sealed with a split second decision by my interviewer. He also spent the entire interview typing what I was saying verbatim, which I found highly disconcerting.

Interview Questions
    • "Will you be able to handle living in a foreign country, sacrificing your favorite foods, friends, and modern conveniences?"   View Answer
    • Do you speak any foreign languages?   Answer Question
    There is none.

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Conakry (Guinea)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Conakry (Guinea)

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in April 2008.

Very long process; takes at least 4 months.

Interview Questions
    • You can find all of the questions online; nothing is unexpected.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation; you take it or leave it: no choice about where you go, either.

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in October 2010.

Process can take up to a year as there are several steps that need to be completed. First, the application. It felt more like applying to a University than a job. Submitted resume, references, and letter of interest. Second, phone interview followed by 1 to 1 with local recruiter. Third, letter of acceptance. Fourth, completing a thorough security and medical background check (must pass to move forward). Fifth, country placement. Interviews are not difficult but you have to patience with the processing time.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about an experience dealing with cultural differences and what was your reaction?   Answer Question
    • What do you enjoy doing alone? How would you handle feeling isolated or alone while living in a foreign country?   Answer Question
    the only thing that can possibly be negotiated is the country of service. Doing this can place limitations on when you start and what you will do. The more open you are to placement, the quicker you start. I said I didn't want to serve in very cold regions and I ended in the South Pacific Islands.