Peace Corps Interview Questions

Updated Apr 8, 2015

2.8

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a year or moreinterviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

Intense. Starts with a written application. Some applicants get phone interviews. Then an in person interview while the interviewer writes every word you say (be prepared to dictate your thoughts.) Strict health review. If you're an interesting, healthy person you have nothing to worry about during the interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to join the Peace Corps?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Here's a contract. You game?

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

Was very laborious when I applied in 2007, but now it is automated and waaaaaaay easier. I believe now you can select where you want to serve and what type of project you are interested in.

Interview Questions

• They ask a lot of personal questions - relationship, drug/alcohol use, etc.   Answer Question

Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps (Oakland, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

There was only one interview with a recruiter who had been a volunteer in West Africa previously. The interview lasted about 40 minutes, and there was plenty of opportunity to ask questions about possible work sites. I was rated as a health volunteer based on my education, so there were opportunities all over the world in health work.

Interview Questions

• Where do you want to live, and will you accept an assignment i the tropics? I did not want to live in the tropics again due to excessive heat and humidity - I wanted a new experience - but I said yes.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was given the choice between going to Benin or Uganda, and I asked to see the job descriptions for both. Once we received our invitation, we had only 4 days to accept the offer, and we knew if we did not accept, there would not be another offer! Peace Corps has changed its procedures recently, so applicants have more choice in accepting or rejecting offers now, I believe.

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Interview

Hiring is now easier than ever, you get to choose where you want to serve (it you are qualified enough). Interviewing is pretty straightforward, although they WILL ask personal questions, such as, what will you and your significant other do when you go to the Peace Corps?

Program Support Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Peace Corps (Washington, DC).

Interview

It was a one time panel interview with three interviewers. Standard interview questions (tell us about yourself, describe a time when you provided customer service over the phone, describe data entry experience), then we did a role play. For the role play they gave specific company policy quickly and the interviewee had to role play a helpful employee discussing a policy with an irritated customer. After that, there was an editing quiz. The interviewee had to find all of the mistakes on a sheet of paper, and then present the mistakes.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you had a conflict at work, and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Interview

online application, interview with recruiter who nominates you, extensive medical process, after completion you will get a invitation to a country. (this process has recently changed, you also now get to chose possible countries you want to go to)

Interview Questions

• What is a cultural difference you've experienced while living in the States?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps (San Francisco, NM) in February 2010.

Interview

It used to be an extremely long process (it took me over two years between writing my initial application to becoming a Peace Corps Trainee), but that doesn't matter anymore because they streamlined the hiring process. Now it is much better, says my sister who works for Peace Corps.

You apply online, meet with a Peace Corps recruiter, complete an extremely in-depth medical check, and a clearance check. The medical check is the most cumbersome part (vision, dental, and more).

The actual interview is simple, they just want to see if you'd be fit.

Interview Questions

• Would you be willing to live in a country where women are very discriminated?Are you a vegetarian? Would you be willing to change that?   1 Answer

Peace Corps Response Volunteer Interview

Interview

The Peace Corps Response interview process was smooth and quick. Since Response is for people who have already served I think the recruiter assumes you already have an idea of what to expect. I applied on a Friday and the following week I was contacted to set up a phone interview. The experience can vary depending on the recruiter but my experience was fast and easy. From the time I applied to the day I left was less than three months.

Interview Questions

• The phone interview was relaxed and conversational and there weren't any surprising questions.   Answer Question

Business Advisor & Educator Interview

Interview

Hiring and interviewing with the Peace Corps is rather long and arduous, although, recently the organization has implemented a new format in hopes to streamline and expedite the overall process. I, however, cannot speak to the new procedures. Essentially begins with filling out a lot of information online (nothing new here), there is an initial interview that is very basic, more of an informal discussion to get to know you and how prepared you may be to live abroad in a foreign setting. There will be an additional interview, medical check-up, FBI background check...essentially, you must really want to be a Peace Corps Volunteer.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions, the interview was very straight forward. Most questions were centered around leaving your home and living in a foreign country.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation, you accept all presented terms or you decline.

Peace Corps Volunter Interview

Interview

Submit an application and go through a long and tedious interview and placement process. Hope and pray that you pass the medical tests and 6 months to years later you may actually be sent an invitation to serve

Negotiation

Nonexistent