Peace Corps Interview Questions

Updated Aug 24, 2015

2.7

Water Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Washington, DC).

Interview

The whole process took a long time. The interview itself went very well. However, I had to get some extra experience in order to be placed in my desired sector. Though, it seems they mainly wanted to ensure I would do what it took to be accepted and prove that I would commit to staying the whole 2 years.

Health Extension Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Wilmington, NC) in September 2012.

Interview

The process was very long, and had many steps. Mine took more than 18 month from the time that i applied to the time that I was invited to serve in a country. However, the process is now much shorter and easier to navigate. Most of it is paperwork that you have to submit by certain times. The in-person interviews were quite relaxed. It was mostly them assessing to see what your goals were and why you wanted to join PC. Also, they ask questions to ascertain that you creative, flexible and open enough to live and work in a whole new country. If this is your passion, it will be a breeze, but if you are not sure, I would advice talking to someone who has volunteered or worked abroad to see what they found to be challenging, exciting and so on before your interviews.

Interview Questions

• what do you think will be the biggest challenge living and working in a new country, and how will you deal with it?   1 Answer

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

The interview was rather straight-forward. You will go to one of the home offices and have about an hour long interview with a recruiter. She/he will be typing noted the entire time, so best not to be distracted.

Interview Questions

• Typical questions are "Why Peace Corps?", "Tell me about a difficult situation and how you handled it?" There is then a lot of specific talk about living in another culture. Would you get rid of tatoos, etc?   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Peace Corps in June 2013.

Interview

Took forever to go through selection process. On-line application. Screened by an personal interview at their office. Many months went by before they processed and told me where I would be serving. Delay in my leave date.

Interview Questions

• If I wanted to live near other volunteers   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 11+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Oakland, CA) in July 2013.

Interview

I met with a recruiter, and she asked all of the questions on the Peace Corps Wiki site in the exact order listed. Since I had used that site for my "practice" session, I was ready to discuss all. It was a pleasant experience, and completely stress free.

Interview Questions

• MOTIVATION / COMMITMENT What motivates you to seek a service position as a Peace Corps Volunteer? How does Peace Corps service fit into your long range plans? Remember back to your first playground experience. Why did you want to play on the playground? What games did you play? What, if anything, might keep you from completing a 27-month commitment to Peace Corps Service? Do you have a specific geographic preference? If yes: what is the reason for your preference and how flexible are you? If there are specific regions where you are unwilling to serve: what are your reasons and what is your degree of flexibility? PRODUCTIVE COMPETENCE Please tell me about your most successful experience in a leadership role. Be as specific as possible. Please tell me about an experience when you were able to transfer some knowledge or skill to someone who was different from yourself. What did you learn about your interpersonal skills from that experience? What did you learn about the other person? Please tell me about the most frustrating experience you have had when working with others. Specifically, how did you manage that frustration? Please tell me about a time when you worked in an unstructured or ambiguous situation? How did you approach the task at hand? What did you learn about your personal strengths from that experience? All Peace Corps Volunteers learn a new language. Have you studied a second language? If so, what challenges did you face and what level of facility did you achieve? What aptitudes or abilities can you draw on to help you succeed in learning a new language? MATURITY What situations do you typically find stressful? What do you currently do to reduce stress? When you are overseas, circumstances and/or cultural norms may prevent you from employing your usual ways of managing stress, boredom, and loneliness. You will also most likely be out of touch with your familiar support group. In such a situation, what alternative outlets might you use? If your support group currently plays a critical role in helping you cope with stress, how will you manage without them? What is the longest you have been physically separated from important people (family, friends, romantic interests, etc.) in your life? What was the most difficult part of being away from those closest to you? How did you cope? What kind of support have you received from those closest to you on your decision to join the Peace Corps? Has anyone close to you opposed your decision to join Peace Corps? If so, who was it? What were his/her concerns? How have you responded to them? Tell me about a time when you had trouble following a rule. One’s ability to work through and resolve differences or conflict is often tested in cross-cultural situations. Please tell me about a specific situation, one we haven’t already discussed, when you needed to work through a disagreement or difference of opinion. Were you able to reach a resolution? How, specifically, did you do that? If you weren’t able to resolve the conflict, what prevented you from doing so? In retrospect, is there anything you would do differently? Are you currently in a relationship? If so, how will you handle the expectations of your service overseas? Rank the following three aspects of your service by how important they are to you: where you go, when you go, and what you do. SOCIAL SENSITIVITY / CULTURAL AWARENESS In some countries, tattoos, body piercing, or unusual hairstyles may be culturally unacceptable. To be a successful Volunteer in such a country, you would have to modify your appearance so that it conforms to local norms. Are you willing to make such an adjustment? Give an example of a time that you had to modify your appearance. The following are issues that you may face in your country of service. Please note any concerns: different and/or lack of familiar foods different living conditions lack of privacy; isolation prescribed gender roles possible minority challenges personal religious requirements/possible lack of access to your own religious services living in a culture where alcohol may be widely consumed and accepted/living in a culture that prohibits the use of alcohol altogether!   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (New York, NY).

Interview

I was interviewed as part of a couple so this may be different than other people's experiences. I was interviewed initially for 2 hours and then my partner was interviewed for 2 hours and we were interviewed for about 1 hour together. Overall the experience was pretty average in that they asked questions and we answered. The best part of the process, though, was talking to the recruiter about her experience as a volunteer. She shared with us about her time in Africa and was very candid about how challenging her experience was. I think most interviewers are returned volunteers so that helps.

Interview Questions

• Why Peace Corps?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if something happened to your partner and they needed to leave the country?   Answer Question
    • How would you feel about working with people who were very different than you?   Answer Question
    • Would you be comfortable working with people who have different values than you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Charleston, SC) in September 2011.

Interview

The interview process was quite long. I it took about 5 months from the time I applied and the time I had my first interview. The first interview was via phone and lasted about 45 min. The questions were straight forward. Some questions dealt with your overseas experience and what how you manage stress.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with being in an isolated community with little access to other volunteers.   Answer Question

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Conakry (Guinea)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Conakry (Guinea)) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online on the advertisement that I got on Guinea Conakry USA ambassy web side. Then they call me after 10 days to inform me about my interview. I attended in person the interview with a group of five people.

Interview Questions

• Describe an accomplishment from your last job/ Why are you looking for a new opportunity?   1 Answer

Press Office Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Washington, DC) in February 2012.

Interview

The interview process was pretty slow due to the processing time it takes for background checks and paperwork. I had one 30 minute in-person interview and felt comfortable even though I did not bring much previous experience. The staff was welcoming and flexible with my schedule. It took a few weeks to complete all the background paperwork but from there it was smooth sailing.

Interview Questions

• Why Peace Corps and how will this internship help you in your career?   Answer Question

Teacher Collaboration and Community Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (New York, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

Applied online, received notification a month later that I'd been invited to an interview with a recruiter. The interview was very low key, albeit professional. My recruiter was very easy to talk to, happy to share her own experiences. It felt like more of a conversation than an interview.

Interview Questions

• What motivated you to apply for Peace Corps? Questions about level of commitment to service, etc Describe a time when you demonstrated leadership. Describe an experience working with somebody who was different from you. How do you manage stress? How do you manage boredom? How do you deal with ambiguity and an unstructured work environment? Describe a time you had trouble following a rule. Talk about a time when you had to work through a conflict. How did you do it? Were you successful? If not, what did you do?   Answer Question